SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adrienne_185

Citrus Newbie - Dwarf Improved Meyer Lemon questions

So I've been looking for a dwarf citrus tree to add to my plant collection for over 5 years now; coming from the east coast of Nova Scotia (zone 5a), they are hard to come by! I finally found one at a semi-local farmer's market (3 hour drive, but who's counting?). It is a grafted tree, I'm assuming a yearling from the tag. So far I've been watering when the top 3in or so are dry, haven't fertilized it yet.

First question: Does the tree look healthy overall? Any problems you can spot? (pic of whole tree attached to this post, the rest will follow in the comments)
Second question: A few of the leaves have some brown/dry areas, I *think* they're from transport injuries, but I'd love a second opinion. (pic #2)
Third question: I feel that it may be outgrowing its pot, there are roots poking through the bottom so I'd like to re-pot it (or "pot-up") before winter. Is this a wise idea, or would it be better to wait until spring?
Fourth question: It is showing some new growth that has appeared since I brought it home, does that mean I should fertilize it? If yes, what NPK would you recommend? If I need to repot it, how long should I wait after re-potting to fertilize it? (pic 3)
Fifth question: I *think* I have identified the graft line, but I'm not sure if one of the branches is above or below it (pics 4-7, the side shoot in question is to the right in pic 4).
Sixth question: What type of potting mix should I use if it needs to be repotted? I don't have access to many raw materials at this time of year (nobody gardens in the winter time around here! LOL), but I can get a premade orchid mix if that would be suitable.
Seventh question: I hear it is best that the branches do not cross. Two of the branches cross (pic 8), should I try to uncross them, or will pruning be necessary? If pruning is necessary, should I do it now or in the spring?
Eighth question: I have read that it is wise to use a root stimulator when repotting young citrus trees, is this true? If so, I have Fertilome root stimulator and plant starter solution on hand, is this sufficient or should I use a different type/brand?
Ninth (and final question, I promise): Are there any other sprays/lotions/potions/supplements that I should know about? I'd like to spray it with something to protect from bugs (aphids are a big problem here), I use a homemade insecticidal soap on my veggies but I'm worried it will burn my young tree! Is Neem Oil safe? Can you recommend a product that you've had success with (preferably something non-toxic or minimally toxic, I have 2 kids, two dogs, two dozen chickens, two cats, and 4 horses...all of which seem to have death wishes, haha, I don't like to keep anything poisonous or toxic in the house if I can possibly avoid it).

Comments (10)