SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joberembt

brighten up kitchen. change back splash and knobs

Janeen Oberembt
4 years ago

I would like to brighten up my kitchen. Would you change backsplash and cabinet knobs. Also have stainless sink can I put a tall black faucet with that

Comments (43)

• rachann61
    4 years ago

You do have a lot of wood elements. I kind of like the blacksplash. I think you could try a rustic industrial style. What about painting the walls a white color to help reflect light? You have a lot of warmth from the wood so a cool white could bring balance. Some new cabinet pulls. There is black kinds, but get a silver tone one and see what it looks like. I like the pendant lights you have too. You could also place a light tone rug to break up all the wood flooring too. These things are all trial and error, buy it, place it, hate it, take it back. Until you get it right. Save the receipts. Think outside of the box and have fun

• eam44
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

It's a very pretty space - and I know you've got cans and other great lighting, but it's such a dark space - how about some under cabinet lighting?

If you want to freshen things up, perhaps you should consider new wall color as well as a new bs. Maybe remove the faux plants and the word pantry? They date the space a bit. This is SW 7004 Snowbound. A nice warm tile that complements the tones of your wood would be great. This is Fireclay Tile's Tusk.

• Related Discussions

Help me brighten up my dark kitchen - pics

Q

Comments (17)
    I think maybe I would paint the walls a lighter shade of the same color, and maybe change the shades of the pendant lights so they are lighter and brighter. I also wonder what kind of bulbs that you have in your light fixtures. Could they be a higher wattage? That would brighten things up a bit. I also don't see a backsplash. A backsplash with some lite reflective glass tile would brighten things up a lot I think. When doing the backsplash, I would add a metallic piece to it. The shine from the metal in the backsplash along with the glass tile will reflect a lot of light and bounce it around some. You might also consider getting some clear glass shades for the chandelier over the kitchen table. That would also bounce some light around. I have a lighter shade of gold in my kitchen and family room and I love it too.
    ...See More

glass back splash is up ... progress photo

Q

Comments (27)
    I didn't price it out. I knew I wanted tempered glass backsplash. To give you an idea I have 175 linear inches of backsplash and total cost installed was approximately a bit under 600.00 (my contractor knew him) . My walls are not perfectly flat and had bits of old drywall damage from removal of old backsplash square beige tiles with flowers in baskets. I didn't save any ;) The installer was experienced with commercial and resiadential installs so I trusted him. He made some snap cuts on site similar to the score and snap of porcelain tiles. The outlet holes were cut out in his shop. He didn't template ; he wrote down measurements. The thickness is approx less than a quarter of an inch. The glass was back painted white in his shop. The edges are sealed with silicone. The seam that I requested for the stove piece is very tiny with minimal silicone. He initially offered to fabricate one long glass piece. after our discussion about issues that he has seen or repaired, I decided to make that one section for the stove . replacing one section is easier than the entire long single piece. hth
    ...See More

How should I brighten up my dark kitchen?

Q

Comments (20)
    Get a lighter counter that has some reflective characteristics, repaint the walls with a lighter colored paint, and live with it for a while before doing the backsplash. We have medium dark cherry perimeter cabinets in our kitchen that faces SE, but there is a 10' deep front porch with an 11' roof including overhang that darkens the kitchen. It has a triple window over 7' wide and 4' high, and two 10" SunTunnels. The counters are a medium green granite. The center square island has creme painted cabinets and a medium light limestone/marble top. My walls look like they are about the same color as yours appear in your picture, and the floor is cream colored cork. The kitchen feels too dark to me. Our lower level galley kitchen has similar medium dark cherry cabinets with a light semi-shiny patterned laminate, and the paint is a lighter shade of the paint that is upstairs. The triple window 7' wide by 4' high is 24' across the room from it. This kitchen should feel darker than the one upstairs, but doesn't, no matter what time of day or night it is. Both kitchens are well lit. I am going to paint the upstairs kitchen a lighter better color that makes both the cabinets and counter top have a little more umph. If I could change to a lighter counter top in the upstairs kitchen, I would. There is no doubt in my mind that these 2 changes would make my upstairs kitchen feel lighter, based on how much lighter the lower level kitchen feels. Anne
    ...See More

Kitchen Help! Not sure how to brighten it up?

Q

Comments (92)
    Color. You need color. The paint samples are all nice but they won't do anything to cheer up/brighten up that kitchen. If you don't want color on the walls, then use your lightest Warm Neutral, brighten up the space with accessories and doodads in a bright cheerful color... and I myself would paint the dining set a matching bright cherry color. (Meant to say cheery, but Cherry sounds pretty good!)
    ...See More
  • rachann61
    4 years ago

Also you could change out the barstools if you can afford it

• Janeen Oberembt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What type of pantry doors would you use. Also what style of kitchen stools

• PRO
    Imperial Flooring Inc.
    4 years ago

Backsplashes · More Info

Backsplashes · More Info

• riverscox25
    4 years ago

I have a similar backsplash and will be changing it to a grey glass subway tile. What we have although nice is a little dated.

Janeen Oberembt thanked riverscox25
  • felizlady
    4 years ago

The floor is very bright. Does the island match the wall cabinets? They look different in the photo.

Janeen Oberembt thanked felizlady
  • rachann61
    4 years ago

You have stainless steel appliances so I would try a silver/ nickel/pewter cabinet handles. Buy a few different option that you like and hold the up against the doors. Get someone to do it and step back for a good long look at the whole room. I think the nickel is a lighter look than black hardware. You want a lighter look. But if you don’t like it, stick with the black you like. I don’t know about the barstools. Try something that is the opposite. What you have has a lot of black iron. It is all trial and error. I hope I have helped. I think a cool white paint for the walls will give you the biggest return

Janeen Oberembt thanked rachann61
  • rachann61
    4 years ago

A splurge would be a skylight or sun tube. But that is a big thing that requires construction

Janeen Oberembt thanked rachann61
  • PRO
    Coast to Coast Remodels
    4 years ago

we can get that done for you !

Janeen Oberembt thanked Coast to Coast Remodels
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

your knobs sit rather high on the doors. I'd replace all of them w/pulls (use the existing top hole and drill another hole beneath it. see if you can find a handle w/a spread that will put the bottom hole right about even w/the bottom rail

like this (but in a nickel finish)

and you could do a glass backsplash or an off white ceramic subway.

Do you have any interest in painting you're cabinets? That would certainly lighten up the room

Janeen Oberembt thanked Beth H. :
  • Tiffany Niederle Copley
    4 years ago

I’d change the cabinets if that’s in the budget. Maybe even just paint or refacing. That much wood in that shade is pretty dark and honestly they look rather dated.

Janeen Oberembt thanked Tiffany Niederle Copley
  • Design Girl
    4 years ago

I really think that to lighten up that space you'd need to paint the cabinets.

Janeen Oberembt thanked Design Girl
  • Olychick
    4 years ago

If you're not opposed to painting the cabinets, I might start with painting the island. Think about if you painted the cabinets would you want to have the island a different color and, if so, choose that color for the island now, but it should be a color that complements the wood in case you don't paint the rest of the cabinets.

You also can paint the tile on your backsplash - if you're replacing it anyway, you could try it and if you like the result, you can use that $$ for other updates in the space. There are lots of tutorials on youtube and pinterest on how to do it.

Painted tile backsplash after one year:
    https://www.createandfind.com/painting-tile-backsplash/

Janeen Oberembt thanked Olychick
  • jhmarie
    4 years ago

I have older oak cabinets and refreshed with quartz counters, short apron Kohler Whitehaven sink, cream subway tile backsplash and under cabinet lighting. The most functional thing I did was the under cabinet lighting, and if I had black counters I would need it even more. I think a new backsplash would look very pretty in your kitchen but I will also say that with oak cabinets, a simpler backsplash loos best - so don't try to get too complicated with it. Also, when you do the backsplash, either remove the microwave and tile behind it and then put it back up, or reserve enough tile to fill in the space should you ever change to a vent hood. I am short and have a difficult time with over the range microwaves and some have more trouble with them as they age - just something to keep in mind.

This is my wood kitchens idea book with both new and older, refreshed kitchens:

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens

Janeen Oberembt thanked jhmarie
  • Karenmo
    4 years ago

I would look into replacing the black oven door with one that is stainless. It might not be as expensive as you might might think! If the DW is also black, same thing. Can't tell from the photo what the material is on the front of the fridge.

I agree with the earlier suggestion of replacing the pantry doors to reduce mass of darkish wood; go with streamlined doors that are similar in style and color to the exterior door next to the pantry.

Disagree with the idea of painting the cabinets as a wood finish is way more durable and practical, but once you paint over it, you will be constantly touching it up. Painted cabinets chip and scratch more than wood finished ones. You can lighten this kitchen alot without the drastic step of cabinet painting!

The floor is pretty dark, so the rug idea is good. Notice that all the after photos in Beth's post include some kind of rug! Remember they don't have to be soft fiber....there are also many nonslip vinyl mats that can serve the same lightening function.

Janeen Oberembt thanked Karenmo
  • eam44
    4 years ago

Janeen, you wanted to change your bs and knobs, and posters have so far suggested you change everything from your doors and floors, to painting your cabinets, which is an expensive proposition, and not what you asked about.

Can you limit the scope of work for us, because this can’t possibly be helpful to you at this point. Please give us your budget, a list of things you love about your space, things you don’t like, and maybe an inspiration image or two (pictures of other kitchens that look beautiful to you)? We might be better able to help with a little more information. Thanks.

Janeen Oberembt thanked eam44
  • Janeen Oberembt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was hoping not to do a total makeover just maybe some changes that would brighten up. I'm afraid to paint cupboards since all of my baseboards and trim is the same. Does it look right with just painting cupboards and not trim. The same color trim is around all my windows and baseboards. Also if you paint cupboards can you stain them back later? Would I paint island then also. Do you feel that painted cupboards is a phase and wood will be back in again. Thank you for all your help with my decorating dilemma.

• Janeen Oberembt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Would you suggest painting maybe the island or leave as wood.

• Janeen Oberembt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The island wood is the same color as the cabinets

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

Janeen,,,I'm sorry, but changing out knobs or even the backsplash, isn't going to magically brighten up your kitchen. You will still have those heavy cabinets.

yes you can paint and leave the trim.

yes you would also do the island.

I suppose you could paint and then completely strip them down to raw wood to stain again (honestly, wouldn't be worth the time or the money to have someone do it)

painted cabs is not a phase, it's been around since the 20's??

as for your cabinets being 'in style' again? Sorry, no.

Some wood cabinets will always be in style, yours, like many others from the 70's-90's, are builder basic oak cabinets that went in almost every home during that time. I remember them as a kid in our home in the 70's, and well into my first home in the 80's and 90's.

You have those dated arches on the doors. they will never be back in style. (kind of like orange formica and green appliances from the 60's. Did those ever come back?? No. )

As for the oak, yes, oak is in style, but not in the way your cabs are made.

They are, what? 30-40 yrs old? you expect them to be in style? very few things from the 80's (decor-wise) are still in style. Sorry to be blunt, but they're just old oak cabs. nothing special.

However, if you like them, then keep them as is and put on new hardware. redo the backsplash if you think it will work. But if you're that happy with them, I don't think you'd have come on here looking for ideas.

looking the link that jhmarie provided, you'll see the oak cabinets that do work. the only one good I found with cabinets like yours is this one: But they did change the countertops to something lighter and did a white backsplash. (and painted the walls a lighter color). Maybe you'd like to try something like this? new countertops/white tile would certainly lighten it up. I don't think putting white subway tiles w/your granite and cabs will do a whole lot.

After · More Info

I showed you pics of how painting them can transform a space. heck, get your doors replaced by simple shaker ones if you're painting. I just did it with my own kitchen. Day and night transformation.

you have nice, tall ceilings and a tray ceiling. nice wood floors. and then your have extremely heavy and dated cabinets. you're lucky you have slab front drawers since those are easy to paint and will still look nice after painting.

is it cheap to have them professionally done? not really. but it's cheaper than buying new cabinets. do you plan on staying in the house for awhile? 10 years from now, will you still like the cabinets?

Can you paint them yourself? well, yes, but it's not for someone who has no patience and has a busy lifestyle. I can give you a link for a complete how-to, or you can get estimates and save up to have it done.

It's only paint. why don't you start w/the island first and see how you like it? two tone kitchens are fine to have. you could have painted island and see if it helps. But honestly, painting the entire lot will give you the most change. if you want a lighter kitchen, then that's what you'll get.

before and after w/Shoji White paint color.

doors on this one were refaced w/shaker. see the slab drawer fronts like yours? you could easily have this done w/yours too. I didn't pay that much more for new doors, so I'd look into that option if you can swing it.

here's how your style looks painted

• eam44
    4 years ago

You don’t have to paint your cupboards at all. Getting them professionally painted is quite expensive. Once you have painted them you will have a tough time staining them again. If you love them, leave them as they are.

I think a backsplash change is a great idea.

How do you feel about changing your wall color?

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

The arched style of some the cabinet doors are the main offender in the dated look....the trim style on the island looks different as well...but better...the short cut would be paint the island to match the palest backsplash color that you like...if you are looking to be in this home forever ...some of the other more comprehensive suggestions would be worth considering

• Kristin S
    4 years ago

If you like and want to keep your cabinets, I think you need to change some other elements beyond just the backsplash and hardware to really see an impact. As others have said, a different wall color and lighter counters would likely need to be in the mix to really see an impact with the same cabinets. Painting the pantry doors would also help, even if you don't paint the cabinets. Also, someone above suggested swapping the hood for a a lighter, more open stainless steel option, and that would likely also help lighten up the overall feel.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

Kristin, she has a microwave over the range. SS one. no hood.

• Kristin S
    4 years ago

Yes, I meant replacing the microwave hood and cabinet above it with a more open style stainless only cabinet. It would require finding a new spot for a microwave, obviously. In an ideal world, you'd also add venting for a real hood, but if that's not possible, a recirculating hood would at least *look* better, even if not a lot more functional.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

the recirculating ones don't work for poo, and relocating her current mw would be a challenge. there's no where else for it to go. even if she got a countertop version, she doesn't have much room. She have to buy a built-in model and try to fit it in her cabinetry, which is no easy task. I've just gone through the same ordeal. had to modify one of my drawers and place it below the stove. you can't believe how difficult it is to find a good rough in size opening for those things. I think for now she's stuck w/it as her vent hood.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Don’t know what the pantry interior looks like but it would be more functional and easier to eliminate the wood finish ...if you change it to one regular door opening and paint to match wall color or match other doors nearby...

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Another “single door on the pantry” plus ...is the option to line the interior of the door with shallow shelves for spices,seasonings,and all the tiny things that usually get buried in regular shelves...also things like dry cereal boxes that are handy to reach in this layout

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

I'm sorry to say that I agree with Beth. Sometimes I find that we know what we like and want, but don't really want to do what it takes to get there. I think painted cabinets (at least white) have been around forever, and will be around forever. My daughter has just been through this. She just bought her first home and the kitchen was cherry with a tan/black granite counter and beige subway tile backsplash. She was lucky that she had inset shaker doors, and all stainless appliances. Her island was a moveable furniture piece in black with a butcher block top, that the owner left. She started by painting the island white. Did it help. A bit, but she didn't like it much better. In the end, she hired someone to paint the cabinets white, changed out the hardware, and replaced the countertops with quartz and the backsplash with inexpensive white subway tile. The change was unbelievable and she is thrilled. It looks like a different house and is SO much lighter. You can make some small changes, but in the end they probably aren't going to lighten the space that much. You have an enormous amount of fairly dark wood, and then black accents in your appliances, counters and bar stools, along with a dark floor. I doubt changing hardware and backsplash will do much. Why not start small with a thought that if you need to paint the cabinets in the end then you will. However, all the changes you make you would want to make sure go with painted cabinets in the end (if that's what you end up doing). Nothing like spending money on a backsplash and hardware, only to find that it went with the oak cabinets, but won't with the painted.

I actually have beautiful cherry cabinets with inset doors that I put in in the late 90's. The cabinets are very high quality. I almost put white in, but in the end didn't. I could kick myself. I'm now in the process of replacing with painted white and stainless - It's never an easy job, but in the end I want to have a space I LOVE - So do what you think will make you love your space. The photos above give some great inspiration, and see if one of them speaks to YOU.

Janeen Oberembt thanked Design Girl
  • Karenmo
    4 years ago

About the microwave and the over-stove hood— someone said there isn’t room on the counter. But in looking at the first photo with the fridge (which I missed when I first saw this thread) it looks like there is plenty of space on that extensive counter area for a microwave. So that would make it possible to add a vent hood as others suggested to open that area.

Once that’s done, It would be lovely to switch the doors on the two remaining upper cabinets flanking the stove to glass front. Or if that’s not where you store the things that are presentable, add them in the bank in the fridge wall. You can line the glass front with light coloured paper or fabric. I’d check the price for switching all the upper cabinet doors to square panels in the same wood finish ; I always hated that cathedral arch door, even when it was in style. That is, if you like the oak.

• happyleg
    4 years ago

I would paint cabinet pantry doors; white because built in. And next to a white door. Paint kitchen a green color or green/gray. Change knobs if u want.. 2 glass doors on cabinet.

• Janeen Oberembt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We have only lived in this house for 13 years so I guess builder didn’t know up dated style since everyone keeps saying they are dated. If I paint cabinets can I still leave all my trim around doorways and windows the same stain it does it all have to be painted

• Karenmo
    4 years ago

I would NOT paint the trim.

Then you are stuck painting it and re-painting it forever. Leave the wood finish and you can live there another 13 years and not have to do anything to it other than keeping it clean (like furniture).

I assume the whole house was made with that wood trim -- conserve it!! Think about all the Victorian or Turn of the century houses with beautiful wood trim that succumbed to a painting fad in the mid 20th century only to be laboriously stripped and refinished when wood became appreciated again in the 70s.... Those that weren't ever painted have logged over a century with the original finish, treasured by their owners.

I say the same thing for the wood cabinetry -- don't paint it. If you can afford it, use the other strategies suggested to lighten the room before you take the extremely disruptive (and not cheap, if you hire it out to be done properly) step of painting the main cabinets.

Exception is those pantry doors -- I'd replace them with something like the door next to them -- one of the first things I'd do!! Just my opinion of course....

• eam44
    4 years ago

Janeen, do as much or as little as you are comfortable with and can afford. These are just opinions, not everyone giving their opinions has the same taste as you do, and your opinion is the only one that really matters.

Inspiration images can be really helpful. If you want to keep your stained cabinets, start looking for images of dark wood cabinets in kitchens that you think are bright and updated. I like the images below - figure out what you like. Take your time, collect images that give you the feel you’re going for, then come back and we can be of more help.

• eam44
    4 years ago

Hi JH! Yes, paint the walls, new bs, and under cabinet lighting. Let’s see what the OP comes up with.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I would add to eam44's comment that you make sure you've optimized all the lighting to LED. Here's a great discussion on lighting. Don't pick paint color until you have the lighting changed.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5793357/led-halogen-incandescent

• PRO
    Carol Jean
    4 years ago

we have dated kitchens I had vener put on top can would not do that again would have gotten new doors and painted bases add new modern lighting and I love under cabinet lighting but if you like what you have that's all that matters getting alot of pictures help a person decide what to do

• petula67
    4 years ago

I think your initial instincts were right on target. Your current backsplash looks like a "light absorber." A lighter color with a glossier surface would help brighten the space. Good lighting and wall paint suggestions already made above. The "paint your cabinets" response is almost guaranteed if you post pictures of wood cabinets on this forum because so many people love painted cabinets, so don't worry that there's anything wrong with your cabinets.

• Karenmo
    4 years ago

Has anyone tried the peel and stick backsplash tile products? Wayfair features a ton. I just wonder if they look like the real thing or a slightly upscale bumper sticker...

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

some of them are made of plastic like material, so those would be ick. some others are real glass or ceramic and could look like the real deal. however, you're paying for the convenience. it's more expensive than say, regular ceramic subway tile.

• happyleg
    4 years ago

Lowes has really nice ones in both. :)