SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amyellen602

Help me brighten up my dark kitchen - pics

amyellen602
16 years ago

First off I must begin by saying that I religiously read this site and I am amazed by the talent and insight you have. Last year I posted about my living room and I received some great tips. This year I am working on our kitchen. The dilemma I am having is that it seems very dark. The pictures below are darker than the kitchen actually is, but they are the only photos I have. They are from when we moved in about a year and a half ago, so please excuse the mess. The only requirement is...I must keep the dark cabinets. DH will not let me paint them. The house has an open floor plan so if I paint the kitchen it will have to go with the paint in the adjoining rooms.

Here is what I was thinking....I like the cottage feel, so I was thinking of going with a light green wall color. Any suggestions on a green paint? Then for the back splash I was leaning towards either beadboard or a white brick veneer. Should I look into under cabinet lighting? Are they easy to install? What about window treatments? I like to let as much natural light in as possible and I don't want to obstruct the view because I need to keep an eye on the kids when they are outside. (The eye sore out the windows has been removed) Please let me know if I am on the right track.

Comments (17)