SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
havaneezer2

How should I brighten up my dark kitchen?

Havaneezer2
9 years ago

Hi Everyone,
My dark kitchen is driving me crazy and I need some advice. We bought our home in 2010 and it was a builders spec home which came with espresso cabinets and a medium tone Wilsonart faux granite countertop. Our previous home had a white kitchen which I loved and very much enjoyed spending time in. The espresso cabinets in our home are lovely, but I had no idea how dark and dreary they would make our kitchen feel and make me feel being in it. There is very little natural light in the kitchen which is likely the source of my problem, so I have upgraded overhead lighting and added undercabinet lighting as well, but it's hasn't made a big enough difference for me. It's still too dark for my liking, so I have a few options I have been running through my head and am hoping to get some thoughts and opinions regarding the options. I am hoping to keep the total cost of this project under $5,000 FYI.

Option #1 Have espresso cabinets professionally painted white (estimates for painting run $3,000-$5,000 in my area), change out the countertops for a different and lighter Formica or Wilsonart laminate, add a light tile backsplash.
Option #2 Keep the espresso cabinets as they are, have a very light granite countertop installed as well as a very light backsplash.
Option #3 Have my upper cabinets only painted white and leave the lower cabinets dark, light granite countertops installed as well as a light backsplash.

I think Option #2 is the safest way to go, but I just don't know if the kitchen would feel bright and airy enough for me.
Any advice or opinions would be appreciated. I have attached a photo of a similar kitchen from our builders website. The only difference is that my kitchen doesn't get as much light as the one in the photo. We have the same natural maple floors and also have stainless appliances. Thanks in advance!

Comments (20)