SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joealvord

Paul Barden, would you please look at these?

Paul, I picked up Souv d un Ami Tea, Rook, Umbra and Won Fang Ton at RVRs yesterday. I am wondering about Umbra's leaves being so large. Is this Umbra? The tag says Umbra, then OK written in Sharpie. ( I am nervous about Sharpies these days.) They had sprayed causing the white residue. I so hope these are what they should be. Thank you so much.

Comments (38)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    Original Author
    4 years ago

All 4 : L to R: SduAmi, Rook, Umbra, WFY
    Rook
    Umbra (OK in Sharpie)
    Won Fang Yon.

Sorry I got WFY name wrong in header. It won't let me correct.

• User
    4 years ago

No, that is NOT 'Umbra'. Sorry. I bought a plant of 'Licorice Tea' from RVR last September and received some Wichurana rambler. All emails requesting a replacement were ignored until May of this year, and I was promised a replacement plant. I'm still waiting. I've given up any hope of receiving the correct plant. Why they have such a problem with inventory management I will never know.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked User
  • Related Discussions

What can you tell me about Paul Barden roses?

Q

Comments (5)
    I have Allegra and Jeri Jennings. They're both doing well for me. JJ is new in the garden but is very healthy and has put on decent growth for a first year band. Excellent repeat. I've got Joyce Barden on order. I can't wait to see this one blooming in my garden. There are lots of folks on this forum who are big fans of Paul's roses so I'm sure they will chime in soon.
    ...See More

Thank you: Paul Barden's Rose Site

Q

Comments (6)
    I discovered it years ago and referred back to it many times. The roses just looked so romantic and beautiful, and the text was very useful.
    ...See More

More on Paul Barden's roses, please!

Q

Comments (55)
    Aaron, congratulations on your DH! I am waitlisted. Ann, I’m not too far from you, in Portland, and just got a young Jeri Jennings from a local rose friend who received a spare with his order. JJ looks like she is going to be a wonderful Hybrid Musk for my arch. Her clusters of blooms are buttery golden-yellow with peach edges and what I’d call a sweet licorice fragrance. GORGEOUS! Joyce B looks like a fantastic rose, too. If only I could grow them all! I’d love to see pics if you get JB. Carol Jeri Jennings
    ...See More

Paul Barden Roses

Q

Comments (20)
    Not yet, here, Paul. The color, as it is, is astounding here. I might have to get another and plant in a different spot to get the purple. I plan on the Diablo Hawk being a bit away from DR on that same retaining wall. It will be interesting to see that color here too. That retaining wall is very visible but does not have the best soil. OTOH, I have not lost any to gophers there. My husband bought a bag of Milorganite because he heard on NPR it might repel gophers. I might sprinkle it down in my Southeast corner where 3/6 gopher attacks have occurred. I have hope but the Gopher Hawk has been my best bet so far. Possibly my soil could be better fertilized to enhance the Dakota Redwing purple too.
    ...See More
  • jerijen
    4 years ago

Could it have something to do with their contract grower? It's really a shame.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked jerijen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have gotten many great roses from RVRs and my new not Umbra will probably be another one. I think I will consider this my free rose, since I bought 4 roses and try to go pick up another correctly named one. I did call over this am and Scott was not there yet. Janet said they must be out of Umbra then. What I don't understand is how Juan could grab the rose given to me as Umbra (although it did have an Umbra name tag and the sharpie OK written on it) and not realize it is not even a gallica. My Alaska location was even too cold for gallicas and I could tell once I got the bands set out on the patio. I understand Janet cannot do everything at this point. That detail that buyers want the correct rose requires better inventory management I agree. Scott may be able to get on top of this I hope. My last gallica order from RVRs 2018 was all correctly named. I do hope to get Umbra someday, and I hope you get Licorice Tea back, Paul. It appears to be out of stock ATM.

Maybe their contract grower is part of it, Jeri. If they let me go back into the growing area, I have a dream I could find an Umbra and a Licorice Tea for Paul.

Now where will I put the no ID rose?

• User
    4 years ago

What is OK? Oklahoma?

Oklahoma @ HMF

Original Author
    4 years ago

I don't know if the nametag really says OK for sure Belle. I tried to post a closer up photo but houzz would not load it. OK rose has more stem prickles, I think than the rose I was given.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

SO sorry about all this Sheila! I have to say you have the best attitude about it! I once got Solfaterre by mistake instead of Alexander Hill Gray, and it turned out to be an amazing rose and I am actually thrilled with S. I hope it turns out OK for you.

Paul, you are a prince to help with the ID. :-)

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    4 years ago

Perma, that is a great rose. Sam Truck even tho it is called Solfaterre that made me look up.

Shiela, i am sorry about Umbra. i hope you get the right rose eventually but i am so happy that you got SduAmi. It is a beautiful rose and i love it here so much. i wish i can post pics of the blooms but it is getting so hard for me to be on Houzz or post pics.

jin

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I tried a photo yesterday too, Jin, and it wouldn't load for me either.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

here I had good luck yesterday. At least on the second try! LOL!

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • jerijen
    4 years ago

I've been able to post by reducing the size/resolution of the images .. but on my last try, the images wouldn't post at all

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked jerijen
  • roseseek
    4 years ago

It took it a second, but it posted.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked roseseek
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I had a great experience at Rogue Valley Roses today. They are hoping, as I am, that I got Umbra on my Tuesday pick up. I brought it back to show Scott and Janet. Scott offered a free rose and mystery rose which turned out to add Enchantress Tea and Tuscany Superb in addition to letting me keep the rose tagged Umbra.

They were very gracious and spoke very positively of Paul Barden roses. Scott showed me favorites of his including Oshun and Treasure Trail. He also said they are propagating Licorice Tea and hope to have some by the year end. All exciting.

Scott said they are improving the web site and planning for more propagation on site. They really spoke highly of Juan who is a long term employee. I feel very positive about what they are doing. He is trying to get things organized. I really admire them for hanging in there through some challenges.

Here are the 4 from Tuesday and 2 in the back from today. That is quite the haul when I only paid for 4 roses.
    Here is Scott in the RVR's office with golden poodle Teddy as greeter. I picked this best photo of Teddy because Scott looked good in every photo.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Well, my "Umbra" has bloomed and it is not Umbra. I looked at the RVR inventory and the rose right before Umbra is "Ulrich Brunner Fils". I wonder if it is that Hybrid Perpetual. I consulted my Vintage book and HMF and I think I can live with this. The rose has good ratings although it was described as vulgar by at least one person. Of course it is already planted, so I've decided to love the one I'm with and leave it there. Umbra is listed as out of stock at RVRs, but I'll have to give it another try in the future. Thank you for helping, Paul. I'll probably call to let RVRs know but many mislabeled plants have turned out great. This one if it is UBF could be one of them. Time will tell.

Not Umbra. Maybe Ulrich Brunner Fils. HP

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Shiela, it is still a beautiful rose. I never heard of it but yes, you should get Umbra. I hope this time RVR sends you a correct one.

And your collections grows :)

Now, i am going to check out the UBF on hmf.

Shiela, you score on UBF !!! Its a beauty and it is scent , color and no thorns and and and......

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    3 years ago

Now I've learned about a new rose! Thornless and fragrant! It's hard to go wrong with that. :-))

Original Author
    3 years ago

I am still planning on the real Umbra when RVRs restocks. It looks gorgeous! Rook is wonderful and Won Fang Yon will bloom soon in it's pot.

Original Author
    3 years ago

You are always on the right thread Paul. Those photos are wonderful!

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    3 years ago

Wow! They are all gorgeous—DR is a stunning color! Yes, you can post these on any old thread you like! 😊

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • Rosefolly
    3 years ago

I once got the wrong rose from RVR, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

I like the rose they sent me (Cl Mrs Herbert Stevens) better than the rose I originally ordered.

They offered me a replacement and I turned them down. I'm happy with the rose I got.

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Rosefolly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I too am not going to complain. I have gotten great mislabeled roses from RVRs. I bought 4, and they gave me 6. I am just going to try for Umbra again when it gets back in stock. They did order them alphabetically when I was there, and this rose was just previous to the real Umbra's spot which was already sold out. I'll hope for the best next try.

• portlandmysteryrose
    3 years ago

Paul, gorgeous roses...whatever thread they appear on! I love viewing photos of your roses which are unreleased in commerce. I just ordered 2 Dakota Redwings from RVR. One and a spare. I'll have to wait and see what I receive since Sheila was told RVR is actually out of stock.... The photos of DR tell me its one of the most sublime red roses ever created. And that's not flattery.

Sheila, welcome to the RVR Umbra wait list! Now I'm in good company. :-) Care to join me on the Allegra waitlist, too? And the Rook list, in case of the demise of my current uprooted darling, and the Etienne list?

Carol

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • portlandmysteryrose
    3 years ago

P.S. What cultivar is in Roseseek's photo? Wow! Love the on site RVR photos, Sheila!

• roseseek
    3 years ago

Those are Grey Pearl, Sheila.

• portlandmysteryrose
    3 years ago

Thank you, Kim! Carol

• roseseek
    3 years ago

You're welcome!

Original Author
    3 years ago

Carol, I am so happy for you! I was told Diablo Hawk was out of stock, and it is another one of Paul's that looks great. I'm sure you will love DR. Yes, I'll have to join you on the waiting list, as well as for Allegra and Etienne. Here's hoping they do their own propagation for these. I wish they kept all the Barden roses together so they didn't get mixed up with the riff raff like my maybe vulgar new rose. I'm hoping I will love it too, but I'm going to have to work at it.

• Nola z5aWI
    3 years ago

I'll be joining you gals on the wait list, but mine will be for Joyce Barden. Do they really let you know when the rose is in? I've been on their wait list for quite a while for this rose and never heard from them, so I signed up again. Does anyone else grow Joyce? I did buy Etienne from them in 2018, re-potted for the summer and planted in the fall, and it has taken off this spring. :)

Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Nola z5aWI
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have had them email me when a wait listed rose was available.

• User
    3 years ago

Well, my "Umbra" bloomed - and its definitely not Umbra. Sooooo bummed about this! I had really been looking forward to beautiful Umbra. My "Not-Umbra" looks just like Sheila's, I agree quite probably Ulrich Brunner Fils. A nice rose but ... Not Umbra!! Oh well, I guess I'm joining the wait list too. I just don't understand Rogue. I have been mail ordering roses since we moved to our house 26 years ago, and Rogue is the only company that has sent me mis-identified roses - and lots of them! Do they just not keep records, is it just total lack of organization, or ...? I want to support them, and they offer a lot of roses you can't get elsewhere - except when you order, you never know if you are actually going to get the rose you paid for! SO frustrating. Here's hoping that what they sent me as "Etienne" is the right rose. It has unopened buds, fingers crossed ...

3 years ago

I'm sending you a sad and mad face. :(( I had high hopes with the new helper, but it will probably take some time to sort things out, especially as they take so long to bloom. Paul, that pic of DR is spectacular. Does this rose need perfect sun?

Original Author
    3 years ago

I have had quite a few correctly named roses from RVRs too, Frances. I'm hoping your Etienne is correct. Umbra does appear to be sold out and the rose they sent us was located right before the rose we wanted. My rose had an Umbra label with an OK written in magic marker on it. I never had seen that before.

When I first moved here, I went over there to pick up a Marianne and bought another 25 or so roses I wanted by wandering through the bands sorted alphabetically on platforms/tables. I really think the lovely owner's age is a factor here. She has Scott now trying to get things organized.

They really don't allow wandering through like I did that first time. An employee is sent back to find the rose for us and possibly they are not all fanatics like we are. I seem to have gotten great mislabels for the most part.

They also get shipments in from a grower or growers I've seen on the grounds too, that have nametags in the little pots. They were offloaded close to the entry. I guess it has been too much to handle at times.

• roseseek
    3 years ago

Tooling around in Bakersfield two summers ago, I found a contract grower who had their standard list of stuff. I asked if there were any other "more interesting" roses available and he stated he propagates for RVR and had "much of their catalog" there. Nice guy, but not reliable. He doesn't answer the phone and never responds to emails. He will custom bud, but can't guaranty the cleanliness of his stocks, even though he has many stock plants for stocks of Huey and Fortuniana. He said his father had obtained them and then passed away, so it was him and his mom with a few employees. Looking at the place on Google Maps, they seem greatly reduced in size.

• User
    3 years ago

Oh Sheila, of course I too have had correctly labeled roses from Rogue! I hope I wasn't being unkind - I really don't mean to be. Its just, you know, its so frustrating when you spend endless hours all winter planning and dreaming based on a particular rose, and then it turns out not to be the right plant! Really, I was just venting a bit to a sympathetic audience! Like I said, I DO want to (and in fact try to) support RVR and what they do.

Original Author
    3 years ago

I know, Frances. It is so heartbreaking. Kim had a very helpful comment above about the man in Bakersfield. It sounds like that contract grower was the son of a man who knew what he was doing, but the son is not reliable. So sad there are so many people like that and others give out with age. That is what I was reacting to because some people have gotten so worked up about this topic. These small growers are barely hanging on and have so many rare treasures. I hope they can transition to a new generation successfully. There likely is not much money for all their efforts.

3 years ago

Exactly. I don't know how they do what they do. It's clearly a labor of love. When I talk to all the folks at HCR, one just knows they're totally into roses and Burling is just the best. Peter Schneider has just devised a way to at least make a living from his passion.