SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Anyone know how to do this?

caflowerluver
4 years ago

My sister has been trying to send me photos from her Samsung Galaxy S7 cell phone. She is trying to send it to my email address on my computer. We do not have cell service up here. She says she has sent them a couple of times but I never received them. At first she tried sending 10 at once but I thought that might be too big of a file attachment. So she tried sending just one and I didn't get that one either.

She is new to computers and cell phones and just got both in the last 2-3 months. I know my way around a computer, but know nothing about cell phones since I don't have one. Can someone give me simple instructions on how to do this?

Thanks.

Comments (47)

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Since you say she is new to technology, perhaps she simply has your email address wrong? Make sure she has it absolutely correct (capitalizations, punctuation, etc). Close enough is not good enough for emailing.

Has she sent you a plain old email with NO attachments to verify that she has your right address and that your computer can receive emails?

caflowerluver thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • caflowerluver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I get her email messages so the address is correct. I have sent her email and received replies. I just never get the pictures.

• Related Discussions

How do you make a lawn Xmas tree shape with lights?

Q

Comments (4)
    I've seen tomato cages used as the wire framming. I've even seen several wired together to make the tree tall. Also you will need to anchor the wire frame to the ground. If the ground is not frozen where you are you can take wire cutters and cut up clothes hangers to make u-shaped stablizers. (Like the ones that you buy to lay weed cloth.) Hammer these into the ground to hold the wire frame tight to the ground. Fire hazzards would be caused by using old frayed light strings or extention cords designed for interior use only. Lights strings and extention cords should be approved for "exterior use". I also like to wrap where the light string plugs into the extention cord with a plastic bag and black electrical tape. Susie
    ...See More

Question to sellers: how do you get photos like this?

Q

Comments (16)
    I agree the floating in space is either a white background or cropped in a photo edit program and put onto a 'white' canvas. (Cool technique in that link, natal.) Some of the best ebay photos I've seen are as graywings mentioned, on a light gray or silver (just a barely discernible hint of shimmer) fabric background. They pull the fabric taught. I'm not describing it well, if I see one I'll post it. Feel better!
    ...See More

Does anyone know how to get the chipped paint look?

Q

Comments (13)
    Oh wow...that is amazing. I was gifted a faux fireplace that had been in a house that suffered a fire. Then it was left outside, and when I went to wash the soot off (luckily it did not smell), most of the old paint washed off. I tried to sand the rest of the paint off, but it just smeared. I think it was still a bit damp. Anyway, I painted over it with some pale green and want to get a lot of the green paint off, then maybe hit it with some glaze. It's got a lot of dentil molding and is really nice, but it NEEDS to be distressed finished. I will attempt to post a pic when I can download them off the camera. I'm going to check out that blog for more inspiration. I hope someone can come up with a way to distress like that piece shown tho!
    ...See More

Off Topic: How do I delete my account?

Q

Comments (1)
    I think you'll need to contact one of the Forum admins for help. Josh
    ...See More
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    4 years ago

Is she sending them as ATTACHMENTS or INSERTING them as pictures? I don’t know if this would make a difference, but I was taught to send pictures as ATTACHMENTS.

caflowerluver thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

It sounds like she is not actually attaching the pictures to the email. Definitely don't try too many at once. Some email programs only allow a certain amount to be sent per email. Have her go to one picture she wants to send. Open it in her gallery, tap on the picture and then click on the share icon which is a < looking thing. That will provide the options for how to share it. She should click on the icon for her email. It will open up the email program and attach the picture to it. Then she can just add your email address to it and comments and hit send.

That's just one way to do it, there are several ways to attach a picture.

caflowerluver thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • caflowerluver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have been checking my spam folder for the last couple of days. Nothing there. Don't understand what is going on.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Does her "sent" folder show files attached to the message sent to you? Ask her to use a PC to access her email file to check, be sure the indication is clear.

caflowerluver thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • maifleur01
    4 years ago

It probably is not the reason and no way should it ever happen but my main email address is our last name. For some reason if I or another person capitalizes rather than using lower case first letter then the rest of the address most emails directed in that manner simply disappear. They do not go to spam or inbox etc. I was told it was something in the provider that was making this happen and other than telling people to use the lower case initial there was no fix. I was apparently not the only one because he knew immediately what was happening. Has calmed down now.

caflowerluver thanked maifleur01
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Send her an email and ask her to reply, to it but first she should attach a photo. What happens?

• acraftylady
    4 years ago

Just a thought but is she by chance trying to send them from a text message on her cell to your email? Mary

caflowerluver thanked acraftylady
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Sending a photo to an email address using a text (SMS) app works just fine if the email address is entered in correct format. The same is true as sending a text with a photo as a text message to another phone. Technically a text message with media isn't called SMS but rather MMS.

• Michael
    4 years ago

We use the cloud for that! .99 month.

caflowerluver thanked Michael
  • Summer
    4 years ago

Has she tried sending one to herself to see if she is doing it correctly?

caflowerluver thanked Summer
  • graywings123
    4 years ago

I agree. Have her send it to herself. Or better yet, have her send them all to her computer and send them to you from there.

caflowerluver thanked graywings123
  • caflowerluver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I told her Thursday to get a USB cable and download her pictures from her phone to her computer. Then use the computer to email them to me. She has not done that yet. It is hard to walk someone through this over the phone especially when they have no computer or cell phone experience.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Most phones come with USB cables, they're used for charging.

Something to keep in mind in the future to help her, not so much with the phone but with her PC, would be for you and her to install free Team Viewer or a similar program. It's a program for secure remote access.

It's likely that it would need to be set up on her end (and maybe your end too?) by someone of a bit more than basic computer skills but once it's going, it would allow you to connect to her PC and then see and operate her PC as if it were your PC (display wise, keyboard, and mouse). Or to watch what she does and give her comments (over a phone or Skype connection).

• acraftylady
    4 years ago

If she has her backup on the photos should be in Google pictures and she can access that from the computer to download without a cord. Mary

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

Something that neither of you might like but if both of you have facebook you could share from there. She could send them as a private message to you. Alternate she should be able to send her pictures to fb as private then forward from there to you or only allow you to view.

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

She just joined Facebook and I told her to post her photos there, but not sure she can figure out how to do that. Very frustrating.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

There are so many wonderful tutorial videos on YouTube for just about everything. It is a great way to learn and you can see what is happening.

caflowerluver thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • Lindsey_CA
    4 years ago

@maifleur01 -- E-mail addresses should NOT be case sensitive. By default they are NOT. Your service provider must have done something to create the case sensitivity. Can you check with your provider to see if they will enter an alternate address on your account that has your named capitalized?

caflowerluver thanked Lindsey_CA
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

A "seasoned citizen" (intentional word choice), without prior experience, who is in Month 3 of cell phone and PC usage, and struggling with Facebook, is unlikely to be able to find the right useful videos on YouTube. And if she does, isn't likely to be able to follow them.

caflower, does your sister have younger family members or friends or neighbors who can giver her in-person help to get her set up and rolling with what she wants to do? I suspect that's her best approach right now.

Edit to add - I agree with lindsey's comment above. I didn't want that opportunity to pass without speaking up.

• Lindsey_CA
    4 years ago

@maifleur01 -- Don't let your service provider give you any bull about how this can't be done. It CAN. Before I retired, I was the person who created the user accounts and e-mail accounts for all users of a very large state agency. Only one username per account, but we didn't impose a limit on the number of e-mail alias addresses that a mailbox could have. No, we didn't let the users have alias addresses just because they wanted them. There were times when it was necessary; for example, if a user married or divorced and their surname changed, But even with an alias address, it was not case sensitive. I always created the e-mail addresses with proper capitalization, simply because it looks better, but mail addressed in full caps, all lowercase, or a mixture still made it into the proper mailbox, as long as the correct letters were used in the correct sequence.

Just explain to your provider that you NEED the alias address because you are losing important messages (you don't need to tell the provider who is sending the messages or what they're about - it's not their concern).

caflowerluver thanked Lindsey_CA
  • maifleur01
    4 years ago

My service provider is AT&T and I used their people who identified the problem. This was about four years ago and I no longer care. I only mentioned it because what happened to me was known enough that the tech at the center knew immediately what was happening it might be one of the things presenting the OP from receiving emails.

• acraftylady
    4 years ago

Also usually a cell phone email app gives the option to resize. I can click small for each photo attachment and send 10 at once. Are you getting the emails but just not the attachments? Mary

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

"usually a cell phone email app gives the option to resize"

The first post says the phone being used is a Galaxy S7, an inexpensive phone that may not use not the most recent version of Android. A phone I bought a few months ago with the newest Android 10 (My 4th or 5th Android phone) doesn't do this and none of my prior Android phones have either.

More than half of cell phones are Android phones.

acraftylady, I'll guess you don't have an Android phone and your "usually a cellphone email app" comment isn't accurate.

• share_oh
    4 years ago

I have a Galaxy S7... had it for years (not a cheap phone at the time!) You say she just got hers recently - was it used by chance? I ask because mine is wearing out, I'm actually getting a new phone delivered today. One of the first things to go was my ability to send photos for some odd reason. Normally it is very easy - she just has to click the share icon at the bottom of the photo and a list of options pops up - send in messenger, email, etc.

I found what I've had to do is email them to my gmail account and then I could send them from there. Odd but it has worked.

caflowerluver thanked share_oh
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

share, if you can send photos to a gmail account, that's akin to what the OP's sister is having trouble doingh. Are you saying you can't send photos via text message? If so, try a different text message app - the problem would be the app, not the phone.

• acraftylady
    4 years ago

Elmer I have mostly had high end LG phones and use the stock email app on the phone although any email app I have tried from the Google store gave me a resize option. I admit I have not used AOL, Yahoo or Gmail email apps so can't say for those just the generic email apps. Even when I had a low end LG the stock email app gave me a resize option. When I click the paper clip and attach a photo this is what I get. Only other phone I had was a Samsung S5 and stock email app on that did the same. Maybe the S7 doesn't offer this in their stock email app and one needs a different one from the app store. Mary

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have passed along all this helpful advice in an email, but haven't heard back from her. I think her phone was refurbished. I don't know what app she is using.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

It looks like you're not using the native app for the mail service. Is that right? Most people do and the attachment option you show isn't offered for the gmail and yahoo apps I'm familiar with.

For me, the keystrokes to send an image (no matter how and I most use gmail, text, and Whatsapp) starts at the image (photo) app, select the image(s), select "share", then select the app to use to "share" with (email, text, etc), and then that app pops up with a draft message to be completed and the image attached to it. If you're using the generic mail app the phone has as firmware, it could be anything and everything.

The gmail app predominates because that's what gets set up when an Android device is first initiated. I don't see an attachment option as with a browser/PC access. Fair enough

• acraftylady
    4 years ago

I am using the stock mail app that comes on the phone. Lets me use more than one server to get all my mail in one sitting. That's what most of my friends do also. Have no reason to download individual apps for each server. Mary

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

If you have a gmail account (which is what I use), I don't believe there is any choice about having the gmail app when the initial setup is done automatically. Just like the need to have a gmail address, no choice. To use the device's firmware app requires a second setup.

You and I have different friends, no one I've helped with their phone uses a firmware generic mail app.

Back to the original discussion, I believe most people use the service-specific email app. It looks and works the same on all versions of Android. That's also one of the attractions - since many people get a new phone every few years, and not always the same brand or model, the app remains a constant cross-platform. For those who use a generic phone apps that come with the phone, every brand (and sometimes every model) is different with its own wrinkles and pluses and minuses. To say "usually" about a feature that may or may not be present in individual examples in a diverse population is probably not warranted.

• acraftylady
    4 years ago

I get gmail, roadrunner mail, Yahoo and aol mail all in the stock email app and it works for me. Was very easy to set up the various servers in the stock app. I use different servers for different things I am involved with like one address specifically for my Yahoo groups I am in, one for the survey company I do stuff for and one for close family and things like that. When I got a new phone and loaded my LG back up file my email app was also set up so I didn't have to input the server info from scratch again for each one and all my saved mail was there. LG makes it easy for me creating the back up file for my settings and stuff like that. It all works for my life style and what I do on my phone. Mary

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Most people don't have so many different email accounts. If you send them all to one place, what have you accomplished? You'd have the same thing with one email account. Your settings backup is fine so long as you always buy the same brand of phone, something most people don't consistently do in the Android world.

You're not the only person on this forum who assumes what you do is what everyone else does. If you're happy, great, but realize there is a vast diversity of preferences and practices.

• johnc777
    4 years ago

Samsung's user interface on top of Android may be a little different but for stock Android just open the picture in Photos and the upper right of the screen your sister should see an icon like this one:

Touch that icon, then a list of options (when can be a lot) for sending the phone will be presented. She should then touch the icon whatever email app she uses. That should open the email app and from there she just fills in the email address, subject line (if she wants to use one), and any message in the body of the email. Then hit send, which should be a little sideways arrow in the upper right.

If none of that works, maybe she could stop by whatever carrier store sold her the phone and ask for assistance. Maybe she could do it when you are available to see if the picture actually gets through.

caflowerluver thanked johnc777
  • Rusty
    4 years ago

I have a Samsung Galaxy X7, and Johnc777's instructions above are exactly how it works. She does need to be sure that she is signed into HER gmail account, with her CORRECT password, though, or it won't send. Ask me how I know that. . . . . . . :^)

Rusty

caflowerluver thanked Rusty
  • caflowerluver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I keep passing along all these tips. Still no pictures or messages. Maybe she gave up.

• kudzu9
    4 years ago

caflowerluver-

I think you've gone the extra mile and should take a break. Some people just get bamboozled by technology. It sounds like she needs an in-person tutorial.

caflowerluver thanked kudzu9
  • Olychick
    4 years ago

Sorry if this has been suggested...I didn't read all the posts. Why doesn't she just go back to where she bought it and ask them to show her how to do it? If there's a problem with the phone, then they should replace it; if not, she'll learn how to do it. Tell her to write down the instructions (or ask them to send her an email with them) before she leaves the store so she'll remember.

caflowerluver thanked Olychick
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

This is an interesting thread to me. That is because, in the past, my son, who has a Samsung phone, has been able to send pictures to me at my email address. However, he recently, over a period of several days, has sent me pictures via email, his phone says they were sent, but none have ever shown up in my email.

caflowerluver thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • acraftylady
    4 years ago

The problem is not knowing if they are using an app or the browser. If an app were the servers set up correctly. Is it going to the other person and their server is blocking it, I have had that happen. Mary

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

I do know he is not using an app. I don't understand why, all of a sudden, my serving would start blocking the pictures he sends - one at a time.

• acraftylady
    4 years ago

I find online mail horrible on a mobile device and will only use an app but maybe that's just my quirk. It just seems it works so much easier on a mobile device with an app compared to a browser. I can't get the weekly emails from Joanne craft store in my AOL account because for some reason AOL blocks it. I mean it doesn't even go to spam but at my yahoo address the weekly emails come through fine so who knows why they get blocked like that. Mary

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

I don't do email on my mobile device. My son sends it to the email address I use on my desktop computer.

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

Strange one of the original things on the last couple of phones I have had was not an app but at the bottom a original feature that looks like the back of an envelop. Perhaps it was activated a long time ago and I just do not remember it but I can check my email there.

• acraftylady
    4 years ago

The icon that looks like an envelope is just a stock preinstalled email app that comes on the phone. You would have had to set it up with what ever email service you are using. Mary