SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eld6161

Another "what do you think?" (Skip if you don't like family drama)

eld6161
4 years ago

We are invited to meet for the first time my oldest DD's boyfriend's parents for Thanksgiving.

They are including the family of their children's significant others. In our case, it will be us and our other daughter. (There has bee talk about this for the past two years.)

I usually cook for Thanksgiving and my husband's sister is not invited for this holiday. In years past she went off with her husband and recently for the past twelve years to her boyfriend's daughter.

The boyfriend passed away over the summer after a long illness. She will no longer have this invitation.

Here is where it gets complicated. I and my oldest do not especially like her. So many reasons to even count, but I am polite and do what I can for her as she is my husband's sister.

This will be her first Thanksgiving without actual plans as far as I know. She has close friends that might invite her if they know she has no plans.

Side story: SIL was invited to a cousin's house for lunch (not local). My husband felt slighted as she wound up asking the cousin if she could bring her boyfriend. My DH goes above and beyond what any brother would do. (She lives rent-free, she is on our phone plan etc.) Interestingly it's not that he wanted to particularly go, but felt it would have been nice have been thought of. I don't think the cousin would have minded and we would have brought a ton of food or offered to treat everyone for lunch. (SIL knows this about us.) . A few weeks later, DH spoke to her about it. She said that it wasn't her place to invite us. True, but she did get the BF invited.

Being blunt, after all the years of her making a point of excluding me (us) from various gatherings, I don't feel I have to always include her.

This is not our party. My daughter would prefer her not to come because she would have asked for her to be included if she wanted her, and I don't want to meet all these new people with her in the mix.

Here is where you come in: How would you inform SIL? I am not heartless. She will, of course, be coming to us for Christmas and Easter and usually Father's Day. But, I don't want to share this day with her and certainly not at Thanksgiving with all new people.

Comments (35)