SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerzeegirl

Pie Crust - I just can't.

jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I can't make a pie crust to save my soul. It's supposed to be easy and I have followed instructions to the T and I still haven't gotten a pie crust 1) that is easy to roll out 2) that is easy to pick up after rolling out 3) that isn't covered with flour from the attempt to lift it into a pie pan 4) that can be easily rolled out at all after having been in the refrigerator (as per every recipe I have ever seen).

What am I doing wrong? I usually can eventually figure out what I did wrong, but not with pie crust. Maybe someone can help?

Comments (31)

• lizbeth-gardener
    4 years ago

Can you post a recipe you are using and the instructions/method for making?

• chase_gw
    4 years ago

I never had any luck with pie crust, always a flop, until I used this one from Canarybird, who is much missed. Perfect every time, freezes beautifully. Maybe the secret is one shot of vodka for the pie crust and one for the cook!!!

Foolproof Pie Dough (Doulble Crust)

2 1/2 Cup (12 1/2 ounces) unbleached all-purpose

-flour

1 Tsp table salt

2 Tbl sugar

12 Tbl (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch slices

1/2 Cup cold vegetable shortening, cut into 4 pieces

1/4 Cup cold vodka

1/4 Cup cold water

1. Process 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, and sugar in food processor until combined, about 2 one-second pulses. Add butter and shortening and process until homogeneous dough just starts to collect in uneven clumps, about 15 seconds (dough will resemble cottage cheese curds and there should be no uncoated flour). Scrape bowl with rubber spatula and redistribute dough evenly around processor blade. Add remaining cup flour and pulse until mixture is evenly distributed around bowl and mass of dough has been broken up, 4 to 6 quick pulses. Empty mixture into medium bowl.

2. Sprinkle vodka and water over mixture. With rubber spatula, use

folding motion to mix, pressing down on dough until dough is slightly tacky and sticks together. Divide dough into two even balls and flatten each into 4-inch disk. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 45 minutes or up to 2 days.

• Related Discussions

Help! Need CRISP pie crust recipe for one crust cream pie!!

Q

Comments (10)
    My hunch, if it was central VA and a BBQ place, was that it wasn't a pate sucree or something similar. It was probably an "American" pie crust. You can make a great flaky crust in about four minutes with butter, flour, and a little ice cold water. Can add a pinch of salt if you want. Leave some pretty large chunks of butter and make sure you do the fraisage. Like always, let it sit for an hour or so or even a day before rolling it out. Most likely based on cost and region, they probably used shortening, but don't. It tastes bad and makes your crust have a bad mouthfeel. Just use butter. Bake it well, maybe weighing it down, and make sure you bake it very close to the time you are going to use it. In other words, don't bake it today for use tomorrow or the next day. It's never as crisp as it is the first day. Let it cool, fill and serve immediately. The water from the filling will start to soften it right away, so you don't want to let that sit if you want to maintain the crispiness. This post was edited by rosesinny on Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 17:57
    ...See More

Help! How Long Do I Bake CI's Foolproop Pie Crust?

Q

Comments (1)
    About 15 to 20 minutes....until it's lightly browned. I just did that! Linda C
    ...See More

Experimenting with pie crust.

Q

Comments (22)
    Grainlady-- Your chemistry lesson is great because my mind works that way. Understanding how a crust develops makes pie crust much more understandable to me. My mother always peached that overworking the dough makes it tough and now I understand why. The explanation of water vs. gluten is very helpful. Last year I was misdiagnosed with celiac disease and learned a bit about the behavior of gluten in foods while I was on a gluten free diet. Many thanks! I am going to try a butter crust and use my grater on the butter.
    ...See More

Can I use Staub coq au vin for steak and ale pie crust?

Q

Comments (19)
    Oh my goodness, what a cutie! I used to have miniature poodles and we always kept them "puppy clipped", not the big showy poofs, just feet/tail/nose. They were cute and smart little monsters, they could climb fences! I've not made sticky toffee pudding, but it sounds good, I have AnnT's recipe stuck away in my "to try" file. I've never tried one of her recipes that wasn't good, and since she's a real person who posted here for a couple of decades, I trust her tried and true recipes. Not that I don't trust Ina Garten, LOL, I have a couple of her cookbooks, but I KNOW AnnT and so I know that her taste and mine are similar. Taste is subjective, not objective, you know? I suppose it's too late to order clotted cream. I can get it sometimes in the "international" section of my local Meijer, but not always, go figure. Happy Thanksgiving. Annie
    ...See More
  • plllog
    4 years ago

Try the Stella Parks one on Serious Eats for by hand (but it doesn't expect rolling out flour, and does expect you to trim quite a lot).

Use Rhome410's for FP. I can give you Whole Wheat as well.

Or use the one with egg that Annie often posts.

Chill the heck out of everything including your work surface.

Do let the chilled dough warm up just to the point of being able to roll.

Whack it with your rolling pin to flatten while still too cold to roll.

Roll out on a silpat or saran wrap, or wrap on top of a silpat so it won't shift while you're rolling. Much easier to lift and shift.

Use pie molds to get a perfect sized circle. I can give you a link to Amazon later.

Chill and chill some more.

I can give you step by steps later if you really need them, but I think you mostly need tips and courage. I'm rushing just now.

Make a bunch and they'll be easy even without the cheater tools. Cheater tools are use by experts because they make it even easier.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

^Yes, seeing the recipe should help. One thing I can offer regarding your #4 problem is to form the dough into an even, flat disk before chilling. That gives you a little head start for rolling out. The dough should definitely be chilled but not so rock hard it will crack when rolled out. It's fine to let the dough sit on the counter for maybe 20-30 minutes to lose the stiffness. You can always park it in the fridge again once it's in the pie pan. Also, don't roll back and forth in the same area. Roll from the center out and work quickly. Keep lifting and turning the dough often, adding flour as needed. You can brush off excess flour with a pastry brush. A long spatula or bench scraper can help if the dough sticks while rolling out. Not to worry...it can take some practice and the right recipe is key. Everyone seems to have "theirs."

If it makes you feel any better, I have an issue with making yeast breads. Though I love to bake, my interest level just isn't there with yeast breads. I think that's much of the battle in my case.

ETA - As mentioned above, whacking is fine...also kind of fun. I also do it with chilled cookie dough I'm rolling out and cutting.

• jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thank you all for trying to help!

Here is the last recipe I tried. https://www.thecreativebite.com/flaky-pie-crust-recipe-10-tips-for-a-perfect-pie-crust/

I decided to use the Crisco recipe because it didn't have to be chilled, I even bought one of those cute mats to roll on (but have not tried it yet). My previous attempts with recipes calling for butter were not good at all. It was too thick; it was misshapen; I couldn't get it off the counter easily and it was kind of too small for the pie plate.

To add to the list above the other thing I have lots of trouble with is cracking especially at the edges.

Okay here's a dopey question but why does the butter dough need to be refrigerated if you have to wait until it gets warmer before rolling?

• bragu_DSM 5
    4 years ago

this is lars' recipe I just love, love, love

• lisaam
    4 years ago

The dough should be refrigerated before rolling so it is less sticky and so the gluten--protein, elasticity-- in the dough can relax. A cisco recipe should be easier to handle but a part butter and part non-hydrogenated shortening recipe will be tasty, healthier and still msnageable. Once you get the knack you might not need things like vodka or special pins and rolling surfaces. I did used to like rolling pate brisee (all butter dough) on a well floured and much used pastry cloth.

Chloe tips of working your pin from the center outwards, not back and forth as well as picking up the dough and rotating it frequently are helpful.

My mom had dough phobia. Patience taught me to enjoy it. Relax, chill, and your dough will too. :)

• plllog
    4 years ago

Still in a rush, but the butter dough needs to be chilled so it doesn't melt and merge with the flour. You want little bits of fat to form the steam pockets that are "flaky". If you don't have an ideal temperature machine and leave the dough too long in the fridge--and you want the cool to get to the middles-- it gets too cold. Which is okay, because it doesn't harm the dough, but then you need it to warm up to being pliable again.

Shortening doesn't melt as fast as butter, but if your kitchen is warm, it'll still go mushy and should be chilled before rolling for the same reason. Butter tastes better. Some do half and half for the different sized fat globules. Lard is supposed to be the best, also because of the globules, and it's supposed to handle well. I haven't done it.

Even as you're unchilling your dough, however, do put a bag of ice on your rolling surface to help the dough stay cooler as you roll. Chill the rolling pin as well, and the pastry cloth/silpat. Chill the bowl and the flour before you start. i have a very warm kitchen. Chilling everything changed my pie dough for the better. I learned this from Stella. Her pinch the butter method is great if you're doing it by hand.

• l pinkmountain
    4 years ago

Easy as pie??!! Total misnomer. A labor of love any way you slice it.

• lindac92
    4 years ago

I don't remember how old Iw as when I first made a pie crust....but not very. Didn't know to be timid about it I learned it was easy as pie. Here's the recipe I learned.
    for every 9 inch single crust....
    I cup AP flour....spooned into the cup.
    1/2 tsp salt
    Mix together in a bowl....then get a class measuring cup and fill to the 2/3 cup mark with ice cold water and spoon into the cup Crisco until the water rises to the cup mark ( water displacement measuring....easier than a greasy measuring cup) Using a pastry blender or 2 knives cut the shortening into the flour until it's uniform crumbs.
    Then using a fork sprinkle ice cold water on the top, tossing the mix with a fork....keep sprinkling until it hangs together into a ball.....about 2 1/2 to 3 T. water....depending on the moisture in the flour..
    Carefully make a ball of the dough...there may be a few bits of flour in the bottom of the bowl, leave it there. Now, without chilling, put your dough on your rolling mat, marble slab or formica counter with a sprinkle of flour and Very Gently with a floured pin, roll it into a circle....GENTLY!! rolling from the center. When it's large enough, fold it over your floured rolling pin and onto the pie plate. Ease it into the pie plate and crimp the edges. For a 2 crust pie, double the recipe.

In my later more experienced years I now make a butter crust. I put 1 1/2 cups of flour into the cuisinart, add 1/2 tsp salt if using salted butter 3/4 tsp if using unsalted butter. Cut a stick, 1/4 pound, of frozen butter into cubes and add to the processor and pulse to blend. When evenly mixed, add a shot of vodka ( 1 1/2 ozs) and pulse to mix....then add water a tablespoon at a time pulsing until it hangs together..
    Dump onto a lightly floured piece of saran, form into a disc and refrigerate about 30 minutes until cool. Then flatten the disc and roll out as before. This butter crust will be a little harder to handle, but soooo good. Depending on what kind of pie, you can add 1/2 tsp vanilla with the vodka....but not for a quiche or a pot pie!!
    The secret is gently.....tips of your fingers...don't man handle the dough.

• plllog
    4 years ago

Some links:

Stella's bubble wrap pie crust recipe. Read this even if you don't make it.

Pie rings/molds. I have an earlier version. Put down plastic wrap, the dough ball, more wrap on top, and the ring on top of all. Roll. Make sure you're not pulling the edges underneath (tug the wrap out to the side if it happens). Grainlady's instructions. She used them for rolling out 100 crusts at a time. ;) I've become a much better roller of circles freehand since I started using the molds. They also mean, less flour getting all over the place, but if your recipe expects you to roll in a lot of flour you need to compensate.

Rhome410's FP pie crust Not an "-est" recipe, just really reliable, and if you start with frozen butter and pulse it in rather than grating, and you work fast on a chilled surface you don't really have to chill the dough. But until you're confident in the making, I would.

Whole Wheat Pie Dough. Rolls out really thin (I don't like thick crust). Best tasting of all. Add spice or whatever you like.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    4 years ago

The Cooks Illustrated Vodka pie crust works great for me.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

Use this: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/07/easy-pie-dough-recipe.html

Kenji, the chef, created the vodka recipe when he worked at CI. He no longer uses that recipe and developed this one instead. I’ve used both with excellent results for years but I definitely prefer the “no vodka” recipe for ease, this new one he developed is just insanely easy. I use KA AP flour. I bake A LOT. My husband was not a fan of the Stella Parks recipe (also from Serious Eats) even though I adore her recipes in general. My hubby is a picky crust eater, hahaha.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks! - I am overwhelmed by all the help! The Stella Parks recipe - does that call for cake flour (like Swansdown)?

I have another question. I like using a thin rolling pin but I also have a stainless steel one. Is there any benefit to using that one? I assume that it's meant to be refrigerated? I have never used it - I inherited it.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

bragu_DSM 5 , I would love to save the recipe from Lars, but can't do so. Do you know of a way I can save it?

• eandhl2
    4 years ago

I couldn't make a crust no matter what. Then one day i found an oil crust recipe. Now good bakers probably gasp but it worked for me. Pretty sure you can look up up oil crust for recipe.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

jerzeegirl, my rolling pins are all wood...handles, tapered and cylinder. I like the handles. Never used a ss one. I'm sure it is meant to be chilled. Preferences for rolling pins vary, so your best bet is to try it to see what you think.

FWIW, I found this link. Likely more info than you need.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2470618/bakers-what-kind-of-rolling-pin-should-i-have

From years ago one of my favorite crust recipes is still Martha Stewart's Pate Brisee. However, I prefer it with part butter/part shortening for flavor and flakiness. For something like a crostata/galette, I tend to prefer an all-butter crust, such as Ina Garten's for her Apple Crostata. The crust is also easy to handle and tastes great. You might even try Ina's Apple Crostata to see how it goes. Also, crostatas/galettes are free-form and rustic, so "perfect" is not a concern.

This recipe makes 2 crusts with filling for just one. Always nice to have an extra crust in the freezer. I form them into flat disks to stack in the freezer.

https://barefootcontessa.com/recipes/apple-crostata

• Olychick
    4 years ago

Walnut Creek you can take a screen shot of it and save it as a photo to your desktop or photo library. Or hit the heart shaped SAVE button below the post to save it on this site.

I learned to make piecrust using the same recipe as lindac92: 1/3 c crisco to each cup of flour. I always make enough for a 3 crust pie, so I don't have to skimp or patch to make it fit...then there are scraps to bake with cinnamon sugar! I never chill when using crisco, just use ice water. I seldom make a butter crust because I really like the old fashioned crisco crust.

I really think that if you know someone who is a good pie baker, it might be helpful to just have a lesson in method. Once you know HOW to make it, you can have success with most any recipe. If that's not an option, then watch some youtube videos of people making pie crust. You'll see the methods people use to roll and also to lift and transfer the dough. I'm a visual learner - you may be, too.

this looks like a foolproof method for a butter crust:

And check out this very detailed video from King Arthur flour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAmbGRqzAKE

• Olychick
    4 years ago

Oops, it wouldn't let me post 2 videos. ETA: I just realize the video above is the same one plllog posted, just a shorter version.

This is exactly how I was taught to make a crisco crust, except I mix the water in with a fork (after using a pastry cutter for the shortening) and I
    was taught to roll from the center out, not back and forth. Easy as
    pie.

(for some reason the video won't post, but here's a link):

https://www.allrecipes.com/video/2668/pie-crust-iv/?internalSource=picture_play&referringId=12492&referringContentType=Recipe

• l pinkmountain
    4 years ago

I'm assuming metal rolling pin because key to flakey crust is having minute bits of intact shortening (butter, crisco or lard) trapped between layers of flour, which when they melt in the oven, create steam and flakes. That's why all the "cut in shortening" recipes, like crust and biscuits and scones call for cold butter and all kinds of ways to keep shortening cold and also ways to limit amount of water that makes gluten and pie crust tough and not flakey, (vodka is liquid but not a lot of H2O). Butter also has varying degrees of water in it. I think marble rolling pin and rolling boards were for same kind of thing, the chill factor. Someone will correct me if I am wrong for sure.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

I think Olychick's suggestion of a video(s) is good. Next best thing to having someone there with you.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

Thanks, Olychick. I was able to save using the screen shot method. First time I have ever had that kind of issue here, so was at a loss. Again, thanks.

• plllog
    4 years ago

My metal rolling pin is longer and specially for fondant. There are goods and bads for metal. It is VERY slick. Some doughs won't stick to it, especially if it's chilled. It's terrible for things like shortbread, because even flour won't stick...until you get a bit of vacuum and the whole thing sticks. The answer to that is a "sock". It's like stretchy cheesecloth and holds the flour.

A sock can be a good thing if you're having sticking issues no matter what kind of rolling pin you're using.

Thin rolling pins, like 1" in diameter, are useful for things like when you have small dough balls you're rolling into individual rounds, and when you're doing weird decorative stuff, but I wouldn't like to roll out a standard 9" pie with one. The more surface, the easier it is to keep it from sticking, and the better grasp you have.

For pies, I usually use a wood dowel style, about 2.75' in diameter. For cookies, I like my old fashioned 3" or more textured man made one with ball bearings, and I've been known to use it for pies as well, but it's really too much. It depends on the stiffness of the dough. Pie pastry is more tender. Heavy wood grain holds flour really well. The textured doesn't as much as the real old ones did.

You can chill any rolling pin not just metal and it will help.

I'm surprised Anna's husband didn't like the Stella crust because it's very flaky and crisp. That one does have to be made exactly as written, though. It's the method, not the ingredients that makes the difference. It's also too big for the pie rings. You can use the method with other recipes.

• bragu_DSM 5
    4 years ago

walnutcreek

scroll down to lars' post on this thread

bookmark it

Original Author
    4 years ago

I am definitely going to try Lars' recipe. Interesting that he says soften the butter so it mixes easily with the cottage cheese and it's the cottage cheese that makes the crust puffy. I think I can handle that!

• plllog
    4 years ago

The thing that puffs up flaky crust, no matter what your fat, is steam. The fat melts and releases the water and poof. That's also the rationale behind combining fats. Different fats have different melting temperatures, different sized fat globules and different water contents. There's a lot of water in cottage cheese. Hence, the puffy. :)

Original Author
    4 years ago

It's so scientific!

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Both science and art. :-)

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

Thank you, bragu_DSM 5, for that link.

• bragu_DSM 5
    4 years ago