SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Roses whose fragrance wafts

katyajini
4 years ago

I 'think' a distinction can be made. There are many fragrant roses and for most part you have to bring your nose close to or right into the flower to experience the scent. And then there are fragrant roses whose scent just seems to hang in the air and can drift quite afar and still be strongly perceptible.

Don't know what makes it so. Just a different chemistry to their scent molecules? Or they make more of those molecules? Or both?

Please post about roses that you find have a fragrance that wafts!

I would love to grow roses having a wafting fragrance.

I have now or have grown several OGRs and their fragrance definitely wafts: Zephirine Drouhin, Marchesa Bocchella, Marie Pavie, Ispahan, Mme Issac Pereire, Darlow's Enigma (maybe not a OGR). Individually the flowers of Marie Pavie or Darlow's Enigma are not that fragrant but the plant blooms in such profusion that it perfumes the air.

Bubble Bath, Buff Beauty, Rose de Rescht, Sombreuil, Cecile Brunner and Mme Alfred Carriere are very fragrant but did not really waft for me.

The only modern roses I have grown are The Impressionist, Aloha and Parade, and though fragrant, do not waft at all, not even in full bloom.

Comments (205)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County