SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Night time wafting fragrance

lpinkmountain
15 years ago

I am going to redo part of my garden (it's looking scraggly), so I have some room to add some fragrant plants. I have come to realize that I am out in the backyard mostly at night, due to working long hours or it being hot as blazes out there in the afternoon (southern exposure). I have some fragrant plants, but none of them seem to waft much at night (my wild rose does not smell, which is one reason it is going, and the Ms. Kim lilac which doesn't seem to waft). About the only night time fragrant plant I have is my japanese snowbell, and that one smells like a cucumber, IMHO, not very exciting!

Any ideas for some night time wafting scented plants for zone 6? I'm not really deep into zone 6. White or pale flowers would be nice too, since they are visible at night. I have a few patio lights. I have room for a climber too. Oh, and I don't have room for something that gets big, like carlesei viburnum, since I have a row house and tiny narrow yard.

One plant I am considering though, is sweet bay magnolia. I have room to espalier it against a wall. Does it smell at night? I haven't noticed it being especially fragrant unless you get your nose right into the flowers.

I also have room for some dianthus.

Any other ideas?

Comments (11)