What are your favorite roasted vegetables?

Feathers11

It's roasted vegetable season around here--I love root vegetables, so fall is my favorite time to roast any vegetable. This afternoon, I'm roasting broccoli, brussel sprouts, radishes and sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt, thyme and cumin. On the side, I'm roasting butternut squash halves for soup. I'm heading to our farmer's market this weekend for turnips and rutabagas.

What are your favorite and/or unusual vegetables to roast? What spices/herbs do you add?

SaveComment20Like
Comments (20)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Andie

Butternut squash -- with olive oil & salt, sometimes smoked Spanish paprika

Sweet potatoes -- olive oil, chipotle powder, and salt

Carrots -- olive oil, fresh rosemary, and salt

Green Beans -- olive oil and salt

Asparagus -- olive oil and salt

Gold or red potatoes -- olive oil, fresh rosemary, and salt

1 Like Save     Thanked by Feathers11
ritaweeda

Brussels sprouts, eggplant, asparagus, green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, potatoes and onions. Oh, heck, we love all of them! I switch around from olive oil, lemon pepper, garlic and salt to olive oil, oregano, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes and garlic. I've never roasted tomatoes or peppers, I need to try that.

plllog

I make a roasted veg tsimmis which is my favorite. If I can get them, and have time to prep them, I'll use baby veg, which are fantastic done whole because they retain their identity more while sharing with their neighbors. Otherwise, I dice. All get tossed with light olive oil and roasted until they have a bit of char on the edges, then combined with mixed dried fruit and sweet wine, and sauteed.

That's onions, carrots, parsnips, turnips, celeriac, rutabaga, red beets, peewee mixed color potatoes, garnets and anything else that leaps into my shopping basket.

But then there's roast eggplant. A lot of people either over oil or under cook eggplant. For the thin Asian or Italian ones, cut into narrow wedges so there's skin on each piece, toss with light olive oil and garlic pepper (proportions don't really matter, make your own or use a bought blend), maybe some thyme, and lay them skin side down on a baking sheet. Roast until they're brown and shrunken. Toe curling good. You can do a similar thing with a sliced large eggplant. Slice about 1/4" thick and remove the heaviest of the seed lines. Put them on parchment because they tend to stick. Roast until they're shrivelling. SO good!

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Pretty much all of them or whatever looks good...our markets have a-la-carte so I just get one of everything, or three or six.

Those that need a longer cook time get a head start....those that just need a whisper of heat like asparagus or baby French filet beans get tossed on top the last few minutes of roasting.

Gooster

mmmmm....
yams, sweet potatoes and butternut squash, with EVOO, salt, rosemary or Herbes de Provence, sometimes some garlic oil or crushed garlic
roasted true baby carrots (not the shaped kind, the real immature ones). butter, nutmeg
asparagus, garlic, EVOO (or garlic EVOO). sprinkle of parmesean when they come out.
brussel sprouts. Get a nicely conductive pan to get a good sear or do a pan roast. Similar flavorings.
acorn squash, butter and dark brown sugar in the hollow, touch of allspice or cinnamon
Not roasted, but I found a great gratin recipe with butternut square, gruyere and nutmeg.

Lars

My favorites are Brussels sprouts and eggplant. I don't think I roast any other vegetables, but I do grill a lot of them, and I'm not sure if that is the same thing. For grilling, I like any kind of pepper, from bell pepper to Habanero. I also like to grill marinated mushrooms, onions, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, and garlic.

I have found that grilled asparagus comes out too dry, and so I do not grill or roast that - I prefer it steamed. In fact, I prefer most vegetables steamed, but then I have rather bland taste when it comes to vegetables. I like to taste the vegetables themselves without any other flavors, especially squash and corn, and I do not add salt, pepper, or butter to those, as I find it would detract from the flavor and natural sweetness of the squash and corn. I certainly would never add any kind of sugar to any vegetable.

I think I would like roasted broccoli, but I have not made it - yet. My concern would be that the stems would be underdone and the florets would be over cooked, but if you separate them, that would not be an issue. I've also grilled cauliflower and like that, which is much easier than steaming it.

When I am grilling chilies for hot sauce, I do add carrots and garlic. I'm not sure what the difference between grilling and roasting is, but I would think that roasting is done in the over, whereas I do most of my grilling on the barbecue.

lindac92

I love a mix of Roma tomatoes, zucchini onions peppers both red and green and mushrooms....sliced if they are portobellas.....with olive oil, garlic, oregano and maybe basil
But in the fall I like sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots and rutabega....with a few slices of onion tossed in for flavor wilt olive oil and rosemary.

laceyvail 6A, WV

Whatever I use, I ALWAYS use some onions. They are so good roasted.

amylou321

Love roasted broccoli. Light olive oil salt, pepper, fresh garlic,parmesan cheese. Mmmmmm

Jinx

I love all roasted veggies; green beans, zucchini/squash, and asparagus are my favorites. And my fav seasoning for them is lemon pepper (with olive oil).

I also love veggies in foil packs ...for those I use jerk sauce or teriyaki.

Feathers11

So many good ideas--thank you! I forgot about parsnips and beets--they're both very good when roasted. I separate the beets so they don't bleed all over the others, but otherwise, everything is tossed together.

Lars, I tend to roast in the fall/winter when the weather isn't so conducive to grilling. I do love roasted broccoli because by the time the stems are cooked, the florets indeed are a bit overcooked--they turn crunchy with a slight char on them. Really good texture and flavor.

A few years ago, I belonged to a vegetable CSA from a nearby farm. What we received each week varied based on what was being harvested. At one point, I got a special root vegetable I'd never heard of, so I just roasted it per usual. It had the most wonderful flavor... and I cannot for the life of me remember what it was. It was small-ish like a beet, and had a country's or a city's name to it, like Jersalem artichoke (but it wasn't that). I've since searched and cannot find it, but may go back to the farm to see if they recall what it was. It's eluded me ever since.

Save    
party_music50

fwiw, I started roasting whole beets in their skins and wrapped in foil. They're very easy to peel once roasted this way and it minimizes the mess!

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Is there any vegetable - other than greens - that doesn't taste great when roasted? I roast veggies year round and the selection depends on what's available. Potatoes, onions, beets, asparagus, eggplant, summer and winter squash, carrots, cherry tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, sprouts, etc. Usually just a quick drizzle of olive oil and seasoning (S&P, garlic, thyme) and into a hot oven until tender and slightly caramelized.

These are great as a side dish with a meal, to make into soup (the roasting/caramelizing adds a lot of sweetness), to add to a panini sandwich or my favorite use for any leftovers, a roasted veggie salad.

chloebud

Most ALL of them taste great roasted...or grilled. It's interesting to think back. As a kid, I remember veggies were mostly boiled or steamed. My mom never roasted them, and now it's pretty much the default method for cooking them. Not sure...I probably didn't start doing it until the early to mid 90's.

mercurygirl

Yes, great reminder to visit the farmers' market today! Feathers, please tell us if you find the mystery veg.

Some harder veg, like carrots and brussels need a blanch first, so they don't dry out. Had some wonderful small carrots with curry at a restaurant, so will do that this weekend. Here's a helpful link:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/the-food-lab-how-to-roast-vegetables.html

plllog

Well, Feathers, there are Chinese, Korean and New Zealand yams, but wouldn't you have remembered the yam part? There's also a Tokyo turnip and a Finn potato.

I also love parsley root roasted.

Feathers11

Ahhhh... Pillog, I need to retrace and ask them. I've tried every which way on google. I don't recall a yam, but remember a Middle Eastern reference. At this point it could be anything, but it was the most flavorful roasted vegetable.

1 Like Save    
Islay Corbel

I love roast parsnips. Sometimes, I blanch them, then while still hot and steamy, toss in a mix of flour and parmesan. They go lovely and crispy on the outside.

ci_lantro

I had a bumper crop of patty pan (scalloped squash) this summer, my favorite summer squash. I love it simply steamed and served w/ just butter, S & P. Anyway, I cut in chunks and roasted some of it with a bit of sliced onion & Spike's Veg-it.. Added some Asiago cheese towards the end of the roast. Was very good roasted, too.

But DH still didn't like it much. However, I made beef stew & sneaked chunks of patty pan's in the stew. DH commented that, at first, he couldn't figure out what the different stuff was in the stew & finally realized that it was the patty pan squash. And rather enthusiastically added that he really liked it in stew.

bragu_DSM 5

how about roasted smashed red potatoes .... plus all of the above

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Edible Gardens 10 Foodie Favorites to Kick-Start Your Edible Garden
Get ready to plant these herbs and vegetables this spring to bring gourmet flavors from your garden into your kitchen
Full Story
Cool-Season Crops 11 Favorite Edibles for Your Cool-Season Garden
Plant crunchy carrots, crisp radishes, tender peas and other vegetables for fall and spring harvests
Full Story
Gardening 101 15 Favorites for Your Summer Edible Garden
Get your summer garden off to a good start with these popular fruits and vegetables
Full Story
Residential construction specializing in kitchens & bathrooms. A complete service business covering everything... Read More
Specializing in glass shower doors and enclosures we also offer a broad range of hardware, medicine cabinets,... Read More