SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_95164968

House cold upstairs, warm downstairs

HU-95164968
4 years ago

We bought our house new in 2016. We change our air filters regularly and never had any problems with our AC unit. We scheduled regular yearly maintenance for the first time this July and about a week later our unit stopped working completely. We reset it at the breaker and it would work for a couple hours and then stop again. We had the same company come back out and they told us that the breaker was bad and that we needed to replace it. We thought they messed something up and fixed it without telling us when they came back and just told us the breaker thing to cover it up. Since it was summer in SC we didn't want to test that theory and instead just replaced the breaker that night and the AC didn't have any problems after that. The past 2 weeks I've noticed a stale, damp, mildew type smell downstairs on and off. I changed the air filters again and didn't notice much of a difference. I was researching some possible causes and solutions but ran out of time because we were leaving for vacation.

The day we left for vacation I noticed the downstairs was about 3-4 degrees warmer than the temperature it was set to. I thought maybe it was from us making several trips in and out of the house to load the car. Upstairs was nice and cool. We came back from our vacation and noticed the same problem. The downstairs wasn't hot, just not as cool as it normally is. I checked up in the attic and noticed a hole cut in one of the ducts that was previously covered in duct tape, but that tape is now loose and flapping. I just taped over it with new tape about 30 minutes ago. The attic actually felt cool when I went up there which is not how it normally is. It is normally unbearably hot, even at night. I also noticed air blowing out of the fans in the big box in the attic, which I've never noticed before. We only have 1 unit and it is located outside. the lights in the attic for zones 1 and 2 are both solid green but no air is coming out of the downstairs vents. I don't know much about central air but can follow some troubleshooting steps if I can find some videos. What do I need to look at next?

Comments (6)