SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodimak

Upstairs/Downstairs Air Conditioning

jodimak
13 years ago

I live in Las Vegas in a 2-story home with 2 A/C units and 2 thermostats(one up and one down). Of course, it is always warmer upstairs than down. Our stairwell is open to the lower level so there's no separation between the two floors in that regard. We always get rising heat from downstairs.

Last year, I was advised by a local A/C company how to program my thermostats so they would work in tandem with eachother. In the past I would only keep the upper unit on by was told that they have to run together because if only the upper unit is on, the heat from downstairs rises upstairs so using them together compliments the air flow. It worked! However, I didn't write down the instructions they gave me and am at a loss as to how I did it before.

Since my husband and I both work outside of the home, I run the air early in the morning while we're getting ready for the day, program it high so it goes "off" during the day and then have it come back on later in the afternoon and then again go "off" during the night, around 10:30pm. However, we do have cats and it's going to start getting hotter and am looking for a solution in keeping the house somewhat cool during the day as well. In addition, it's starting to feel quite warm upstairs during the night and will of course, only get worse as summer starts to hit.

Any advice on how to program the thermostats??

Any advice would be well appreciated!!

Jodi

Comments (5)