SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
griffinklan

Kitchen cabinets to white

Stacy
4 years ago

Dover White is the trim color throughout my house, in every room. I want to paint my kitchen cabinets and would think that Dover White would be my natural choice. However, it takes on a very yellow tone when I place a paint sample on the cabinets. The painter is suggesting Snowbound instead. I don't have any pure white any where in the house, only warm whites. My walls are Shiitake. What should I do?

Comments (49)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

The Dover White does have yellow undertones and the Shitake reinforces that tone

You can paint the cabinets Dover White, but you'll have to change the wall color in the kitchen.

Stacy thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Pick a less yellow white, include all the TRIM in this kitchen. As long as there's a logical break at a passage ? The change won't be jarring. Don't go to icy white, and you will have to test a few to find the sweet spot. Much depends any other changes you may be planning, beyond this ? Floor? Counters? Any? Your flooring seems in conflict with the island top.

• Related Discussions

Stained kitchen cabinets vs. white

Q

Comments (34)
    @julieste: oh, not the look, trust me! I still very much enjoy the light colour and simple slab door design. They suit my house. What I regret is who I hired to make them. He had been highly recommended by friends but the install was full of hiccups and after a few years, one of the doors was totally trashed. Budget was limited at the time so cabinets were affordable veneers on mdf. I knew I wasn't paying for high end but still. I had looked at Ikea at the time but they couldn't seem to fit their cabinets in our our U-shaped kitchen.
    ...See More

Honey oak kitchen cabinets, gray/white granite

Q

Comments (4)
    Depends on the condition of the cabinets, and the style. Please post pics. Nix the gray.
    ...See More

Kitchen cabinets/wall white paint color

Q

Comments (3)
    Paint colors can look so different depending on the exposure and other factors. I picked a color for my north facing bedrooms that I thought would work in my north facing kitchen but it looked dead in the kitchen. So I had to try four more colors until I got the right one. There is no way to shortcut this process. You need to bring home several chips from your preferred brand, then sample. Sometimes getting whites to work together is so difficult it is better to just lean gray, blue or green so it doesn't look like you tried for a match and missed. If you're having your cabinets custom painted ask for a sample door before they go ahead and do all of them. The other thing that influences our perception of color is the sheen. Cabinets will be painted with a more glossy finish than walls usually are.
    ...See More

White kitchen cabinets with white walls!

Q

Comments (5)
    White Dove on cabinets; White Dove on woodwork, White Dove on ceiling, all in appropriate finishes. Walls? B.M. Balboa Mist. Both are off whites. I think you should consider White Dove on everything, in appropriate finishes because it is tricky mixing whites. You have to be spot on to make it work.
    ...See More
  • Stacy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Jan. could the paper sample of Dover White be picking up the yellow from my existing cabinets? I won't be changing my flooring, will decide about countertops after the cabinets. The fireplace and the built-ins in the adjoining family room are Dover White.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

I think your cabinets are beautiful as is. I wouldn’t paint them. If you are wanting to make a change, eliminating the dark backsplash and adding under cabinet lighting would give you a bigger bang for your buck.

• sondramartina
    4 years ago

Does Snowbound complement your tiles? Why don't you put different paint samples on the floor?

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

My experience with Dover White is maybe a little weird? I loved it and used it a lot when I lived in the Southwest USA. Not too yellow at all.

But here in Wisconsin, it is just too yellow. I thought I might be able to use it on some cabinetry in the basement. No way. I ended up using PPG's Breakthrough paint color matched to Benjamin Moore's Cloud White.

Maybe the different light conditions explain it. In Oklahoma, I had tons of natural light vs having to rely on artificial lighting much more here in the Upper Midwest? (5000K Leds in the basement here in WI.) The carpet colors were virtually the same in all four houses, 3 in OK & 1 in Wisconsin. And always used for trim with ultra pure white walls.

• Helen
    4 years ago

I agree with Cook's Kitchen - before painting what are lovely wood cabinets, I would change the floors and counters.

• herbflavor
    4 years ago

Spend the money on a hood. The subtle glaze works well w the cabs. I'd put more polished nickel hardware maybe simplify the molding on top. Floor and counter changes are options but the lack of hood is an infrastructure issue that is worth the effort.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

Your cabinets, with that gorgeous dentil moulding should probably stay as they are for them to look the best. I say this as a die hard white kitchen kinda gal, but you have a great deal of beautiful white millwork throughout your house, and light wood toned cabinets are not only totally on trend, but they also provide some contrast to the rest of the woodwork you have.

i love the figures you have above your cooktop.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

You better check Dover White against your floor...........they may not work together.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Post a dream kitchen inspo pic. I say that as it is usually a very bad idea to begin a piecemeal "redo". What is the result you want?

Which is why I asked on the flooring. The island top as I mentioned. Etc....

Nothing lives in isolation. Not even white cabinetry :)

• Shannon_WI
    4 years ago

You have a lot of cabinetry in your kitchen, with a lot of intricate panels and moldings. Re-painting cabinets is best done for simpler cabinets than yours. There are quite a number of ways painting your cabinets could go wrong. The wrong color of course. But also a paint job that is not in a factory for your kind of cabinetry is a recipe for trouble. Potential for chipping in a few years is high, with all those edges and nooks and crannies. I would not do it. The return on your investment - not just money, but your time and your stress which cannot be overemphasized - is either not good or even really bad.

I would spend time first and foremost, getting rid of that over the range microwave. Not appropriate for your kitchen, and definitely wrong for a 36" cooktop. It is the most egregious in your lovely kitchen. There are some lovely custom metal hoods out there - spend the money you would have spent on the cabinets on a hood instead, and have some left over. Check out ModernAire hoods. Or see about getting an exhaust insert and motor inside the cabinet that is there. I think that was actually its original purpose, and then somehow a microwave was put there. Then I would change the backsplash, the pulls, and perhaps just maybe the perimeter counter. Leave the cabinets alone.

• redsilver
    4 years ago

IF you could match the marble/tile around your fireplace, to your countertops, and to your flooring, and than, paint the WALLs to DOVER, like the white around your fireplace trim is, and put that same DOVER on the island base, and place a stainless or white stovetop and hood in your kitchen, you will love your cabinets. I agree that the trimmings on the cabinets would just be a pain to paint, and do an excellent job to match what is there now. What a truly lovely place your home appears to be. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Stacy thanked redsilver
  • chispa
    4 years ago

I would change out the counters and backsplash to lighter colors. That will make the most difference in the space. Leave the cabinets as they are.

• Stacy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for all input. I am not changing floor. My house is all painted Dover white wood with black accents ~ I love look of black counter and back splash. My island is black. I may change island granite. My question is : use Dover white or another whiter color? My cabinets have faded to different colors in different areas. Pictures do not show. Have to be painted.

• PRO
    Open House Home Staging & Redesign, LLC
    4 years ago

I'd personally stick with the Dover White. Once they're all white they will look fine.

• User
    4 years ago

Check the temperature and CRI of your lighting. That could be causing an overall yellow tone. Increasing the temp of the lighting will cool off the colors.

• GeorgiaPeach 1970
    4 years ago

Wow! Your cabinets are beautiful.
    I ,too,agree that lighter backsplash would be the way to go.
    Oh my,the hassle and expense of painting when your kitchen is to die for.
    If you are set on that however, look at SW aged white. I have just finished using it on all new doors,crown and baseboards in our remodel. I had bathroom cabinets painted with it as well. I kept my stained wood kitchen.it is a beautiful off white w/no yellow. Their Pro-Classic paint is a dream!
    I have accessible beige in living room, hallways & entry. Agreeable gray in dining.
    Colony Buff in kitchen and breakfast room. Aged white looks beautiful with all.
    Good luck!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

Your floor and the countertops are the problem, not the cabinets. They simply do not work together. I would hate to see you try to paint those cabinets - it most likely will not be successful.

I'd replace the floors, continuing with the wood flooring I presume is in the rest of the first floor. And get new countertops

• Jamie Rollins
    4 years ago

I agree with the previous person, change the flooring and counter top, not the cabinet color.

• Stacy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you again everyone. I HAVE to paint the cabinets - the stain has faded and changed color unevenly throughout. My whole home is black, ivory, cream and gold/brass accents. I plan on moving in the next few years, so my investment is minimal. I have a professional kitchen cabinet painter, not by hand, who only does cabinets every day for the last 5+ years. I will undoubtedly change the island top, the counters and backsplash will wait until I see the cabinets white. Thank you again. I will post after pictures.

• arcy_gw
    4 years ago

You could have them retained and varnished. What is the finish it doesn't look like plain wood to me. It appears to be some pickling finish. Painting will devalue your kitchen. I totally understand YOU like the dark in your kitchen but for resale..in two years none of what you are planning is worth the price, but the dark marble would be where to get your only hope of recoup on investment.

• Diane Crawford
    4 years ago

I have white cabinets and Dover white trim and it looks fine.

• herbflavor
    4 years ago

A few years? And you are moving? I really would leave it. People will appreciate seeing the bones and original finishes and various progressive plans for the space will evolve by any occupant.

• GeorgiaPeach 1970
    4 years ago

Please share after pics! If you have a professional painter lined up, all will go well.
    We're looking forward to seeing the finished project. Good luck. And yes,I think your Dover white will look fabulous!

• Stacy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I just spoke with two local realtors and both have said that updated kitchens with white cabinets are selling very well and worth the investment

• Kendrah
    4 years ago

Paint the walls and cabinets dover white. Simple.

• Shannon_WI
    4 years ago

Realtors always say to spend money on upgrades. It’s no cost for them after all. You will not get that money back on resale. That’s a fact. Your backsplash and perimeter counters are dated but you love them and don’t want to change them. Your MW is also a problem. Painting your cabinets white will still leave the MW, backsplash and counters as is cause you love them and don’t want to change them. And if you are moving in 5 or more years, something else will be popular then. For example, gray cabinets and gray floors were all the rage in 2015-2018. Now not so much. Upgrade your kitchen because YOU want to, and the way YOU want to.

• Stacy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s a picture of the Dover white trim against my floor. Walls are shiitake and the warmth in the floor plays up on my brushed brass accents

• Stacy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s my painters info:

All we do is paint cabinets all day every day so we know a thing or two. Most custom places either used a precat or a post cat/conversion varnish. Either way we sand off what’s on them to almost bare wood so there’s no cross contamination issues. I know lafata uses precat for their level 1 and 2 finish and CV on their level three finishes.

Also, ignore everything you read about water based or borne finishes. They were made for states that have strict VOC laws that can’t buy a real lacquer. True Lacquers have been the gold standard in the cabinet market for over a hundred years

• sondramartina
    4 years ago

@stacy Is that tile the same as the tile in the kitchen? If so, I would not paint the cabinets dover white. It makes the tile look dirty. At least in the photo.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

That email still does not state what exact finish that they use. Lacquer is too moisture damaged to use as a cabinet finish, if that is what he is saying that he uses. It’s not even used in furniture anymore, except for antiques that are French polished. Post catalyzed conversion varnish is the factory standard for a reason. It’s what my cabinet finisher uses.

Find out the brand name of the primer and topcoat. They should be from the same brand system.

• herbflavor
    4 years ago

no one is debating you can get a good paint job. But in truth an all white kitchen with this mass of cabinetry is trending out. The time needed to insert color properly in the correct shade or two-tone would be challenging and consuming : so the person who buys your home , liking the overall setting, will finesse the kitchen in the proper way for their desire and wishes.

• GeorgiaPeach 1970
    4 years ago

@Stacy,oh my goodness! Did u have any idea you were opening such a big can of worms?
    Good luck sorting through all these posts.
    Perhaps you might see in person a kitchen done by your painter from 5 years ago?

• PRO
    Susan Tiritilli
    4 years ago

Currently all white kitchens are selling. Five years from now maybe a different story.

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

I think white cabinets are classic and don’t “trend out” like grey will. If the doors are prepped correctly, the paint job should work. I agree with doing the cabinets and walls Dove White. Make a decision about the countertop and backsplash later. Be aware your floors may look dingy or dirty after the room is mostly white.

Stacy thanked RedRyder
  • Stacy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s adjoining family room

• D N
    4 years ago

Stacy, your inspiration photo combines your desired colors beautifully, but it doesn’t have black counters. Have you considered using black in other locations (as in your inspo), and adding lighter counters?

And I’m not even remotely a pro, but I actually like the Dover White trim on Shiitake walls.

Edit to add: since you are seeing problems with the current wood finish, maybe the bad ones could be painted black (if you lighten the counters.)

• lucky998877
    4 years ago

Stacy, you have great taste and a gorgeous home...and drool worthy carpet :) Good luck, those cabinets will look beautiful no matter what the finish is (I really like them just the way they are but pictures don't show everything).

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

A white kitchen will complement your living room beautifully.

Stacy thanked RedRyder
  • Stacy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So here is the new kitchen! Cabinets painted Dover White, new hardware, removed microwave over cooktop and installed microwave drawer, new counters and backsplash. What do you think?

• Stacy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Before and after

• cyc2001
    4 years ago

Wow!! It looks gorgeous! I love the cabinet color and the counter and backsplash. The changes really update and brighten the space. Well done and thanks for posting the after pics!

• Mel
    4 years ago

Beautifu!

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

Well done! Looks amazing!

• gardener123
    4 years ago

So stunning! What made you decide to remove the black granite? It looks gorgeous, and I'm sure you're glad you did. But was there a turning point for you? My before cabinets are similar to yours, and I'm considering painting and leaving the black granite as is.

ETA: What sheen did you use for the Dover White?

Thanks!

Stacy thanked gardener123
  • felizlady
    4 years ago

I must have been traveling when you first posted your thoughts about your kitchen, because this is the first time I saw it. I see you have moved ahead and had the cabinets painted and replaced the black counters. It looks beautiful. Did you sell the gorgeous counter that was on the previous island? Or did you find another location for it? The whole kitchen seems more fresh now. Congratulations!

• Stacy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The granite company is storing the island top until I decide what I can use it for. Thank you for your comments. Happy New Year!