SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hapinesca

Abandoned dog locked up - what do I do?

Anna Cunningham
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Short story is: I have reasons to believe that my neighbors abandoned their dog at least 4 days ago, and nobody is coming to feed her. I really need an advice of how to safe a dog without provoking my seemingly not so safe neighbor who once threatened me very indirectly. After I asked him why his dog has bold red spots on her back, and maybe if he needed a ride to the vet, the car that gives him a ride every day from work went up my driveway, turned around and left. What was that? A threat? They certainly did not get lost.

Do I call town animal control. How fast does it take they to break in and save the dog.

Neighbors are a bed ridden grandpa, his young granddaughter, her 3 babies, and her husband. They lived here temporarily to take care of a sick grandpa.

2 days ago I got a knock on the door from their distant relative that came to see his grandpa before grandpa died. He knocked on my door and asked where everybody was. He said that nobody answered the door, the house looks abandoned and a dog is crying inside.

I know that the house looks really bad, broken garbage bags with dirty diapers everywhere. But they were there last week, and now everybody is suddenly gone. Nobody went their driveway at least couple of days. I also know that the granddaughter does not own a car, and had to get a ride to work an back everyday 40 minuted one way. Knowing her, I think it is very unlikely that after long day of work, she would leave her 3 kids under 5 and try to find a car to drive here and feed the dog. Also there are cans for fleas and bedbugs right by the front door.

I waited a day, went, knocked on the door, the dog came looking very sad. The house was locked, but also a rope was tied on the door knob. I lightly retied the rope. If it does not gets untied tonight, it means nobody came to feed the dog.

I love this dog. She lived with us for a month once after she came out of nowhere, I asked around but nobody came to claim her for a month! I also know my struggling neighbor does not any more struggle with 3 babies. And her husband might be stupid to actually cause us trouble - I am sure he will know who reported abandoned dog. I know this family loves the dog, but I also know that they bred her for money and did not take her to a vet when she was sick with mites, probably for lack of money or lack of a ride.

Comments (7)