SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
livvysmom

If you have an annoying dog -- lock it up when I come over

livvysmom
17 years ago

My friend has a maltese that is just a PEST. When I go over there she barks at the door like I am an ax murderer. Then when she lets you in the dog jumps on your legs (feels really great when wearing shorts). After that when you try to sit on the couch she will annoy you as well. And God forbid you try to eat something. My kids spend the whole time crying because the dog won't leave them alone if they are carrying a snack. The dog also growls (funny how my friend considers this "talking" -- if a German Shephard did it people would freak out!).

I don't know why she doesn't just lock her up in a room when visitors are over. She spends the whole time saying "get down" and threatening her with a squirt bottle but she never actually sprays it. This dog is 8 years old, not a puppy.

If you have a dog and a guest asked you lock it a room (for only a short time of course) -- would you?

Comments (64)

• oakleif
    17 years ago

Hi,For the most part i have to agree with kframe. I do have a hound-blueheeler that forgets himself around some people.Have a doggie door and when i say firmly"out!!" he disapears till visitors are gone.No hard feelings anywhere. My dogs bark when someone comes to door which i encourage as i live alone.Friends know my 2 dogs behave.
    I have a bigger problem with all the children running around with worse training and socialization than most dogs i know. I love dogs and kids.
    oakleif

• fivemeows
    17 years ago

No one should go to someones house and have to be ruled by a dog. Claws hurt and dig. Begging for food ,yapping , jumping up on you are not right. I love dogs. But I would not enjoy my visit to anyones house if the dog did this.Granted its the owners fault for not training the dog. But if they haven't trained it. Then they should keep it away from company if it displays this behavior the whole time you are there. And small children should not have to be scared of dogs.

• Related Discussions

Just when you think it's over and want to give up....

Q

Comments (13)
    Hi Kathy!! I agree, you just never know... life does come from things least expected sometimes!!! I was really pleased to see these little stems. The funny thing about this is that i have this tree just sitting in my greatroom. The others are under lights and then some of my active trees are with this little sad looking tree. Im going to leave it right where it is. It must really like the conditions there. So...i will let it be! Dave, I was wondering the same thing!!! Tomorrow i will call Carol and ask her. I was always under the impression that they used seedlings as well. I will let you know!!! Happy New Year to you !!! Hi Kevin!!! If it is a Celadine, that will be wonderful!!! It really doesnt matter what it will be. It will still mean somethinng to me since it really wants to live! It looks so pathetic right now. I really didnt want to even take a pic of it, but it was so cute in its own way, i wanted to share!! LOL... I hope you all have a wonderful New Year!! Dont forget to eat your "Blackeyed Peas" today!!! I think i will even put a bean on this poor tree just for luck!!! : ) Take care, Laura
    ...See More

I feel like I am annoying you all...but...

Q

Comments (41)
    KKNY I don't know what to make of you. Of course we don't make the skids 'spy' for us. They brought the subject of smoking up themselves, we usually don't ask about those things (BM's drinking, the smoking - while pregnant of course, and other negative trades). That is because we'd feel bad knowing that the girls would probably feel like defending their mom. So therefore we wait till they volunteer the information and then we might ask what they think about it, or how they feel. The therapist has given us really good advice on how to be supportive of them, and how to adress these kinds of issues without criticizing their mom. However we do ask the girls general questions to show an interest in their other family, which is important for them. Like about their little brother or what they were up to on the weekend? Is that allowed?? Ima already explained it very well. It's about the power of brainwashing,I guess you're not that familiar with it. Like Ima's SD saying it is raining when the sun is clearly shining (that was your post Ima, right?) Also what is the significant difference for you between Stepmom or SO? I'm FDH's SO and stepmom to the skids. They actually started calling me that without my encouragement, they think it's 'cool' and so that's fine with me. You always think that it's the SM's vs the BM's here, and I don't understand why? Surely you're not that shallow to assume all Stepmoms are on the same page and all BM's are on the other? Just because I'm Dutch doesn't mean that I'm on the same page as all other Dutch people, right?
    ...See More

Do you find it annoying when plans are made for you? (A dilemma)

Q

Comments (36)
    Thanks Flamey, LOL! I wanted to be fair to everyone. Good thing Evelyn was occupied with her "baby". :) Jenn-That is exactly what our visits are always like. My mom and Jason's parents visit us now and then but my brother's never been here. Grrrrrr. :) I have had fantasies about not telling my family when we're there but I can't even imagine the fallout if we bumped into them in the mall or when we were out. Eep! Vicki-I know, eh? It's so nice that they all love to see us so much but...maybe we should come down every weekend for a few months and make them sick of us! If only that were affordable. :D Flamingo-Oh, you are so right...he does work all day and it is nice for the kids to see him. I thought you meant that he was often away like on business trips and such. Silly me. :) Dilly Dally-Believe me when I say it's not like that. Her family stays when they want and so do we. The issue is that my brother is determined to host us no matter what we say, LOL. My future sister-in-law is not a control freak in the slightest and has been engaged to my brother for almost two years. What I'm trying to say is that it is my brother who is PUSHING for us to stay, not us. :) I do love him dearly even though he cheeses me off sometimes. Our parents are clamoring for us to come so that they can see us and hang out with the grandchildren. Seriously there is no imposition. At all. Ever. Zeetara-They are pretty awesome. I'm very lucky. Susan-Hotels are still freakishly expensive here in Canada. We just can't afford 85-100+ dollars x three nights. Sucks, but it's the truth. Carla-I'm sorry that it's hard to understand. My in-laws live in a newer bi-level with two bedrooms up and one down. They spend all of their time unless our family or Jason's sister's (and she live in Germany so that's very infrequent) are there to visit. After a two month visit or so from his sister, you can tell that they're glad to have the house to themselves...but a weekend isn't long enough as far as they are concerned. And no, I am not making this up or speculating, they have told us many times how much they love our visits. Every time Jason talks to them, they ask when we'll be down next. I don't think that we are unpleasant to host. We take care of our own children (except when they let Jason and I go off and watch a movie which is maybe two or three times a year) and clean up after ourselves. The kids all share the downstairs room which has a double bed (Evelyn sleeps in a playpen). They have toys at their house and a swing set outside. The kids love going and have so much fun. :) My in-laws have no set schedule on the weekend except to go out for breakfast on Saturday morning and we all go together. We usually pull out the cards and play for as long as we can stay up. It's a blast. When we stay with my own family it's pretty much the same thing minus the cards but we visit and maybe go shopping. So anyway, my mom called last night while I was at a meeting and I thought, great, now Jason can let her know our plans as we had made an itinerary before I had to leave the house. He told me when I got back that he had done so but she wanted me to call her. I called her back and she had some questions about my wedding for my brother and then we talked about the weekend. Jason and I decided to stay at his parent's house for the entire weekend with Saturday going out for breakfast with his parents and then shopping for the dresses with Saturday evening open for my family. Sunday was a date night for us and visiting our two friends with the girls staying over at my mom's that night, while Monday is for the girls to go swimming with my mom and for the museum and then coming home. I thought that it all sounded great and all of these activities were things that were already discussed so we seriously AREN'T being presumptuous. :D While my mom and I were talking, she said something about when the girls were sleeping over on Friday night. I said, "Didn't Jason let you know about what was happening?" She said yes, but I told her that we had discussed it and that this time we would be staying at his parent's house and that we had a few people to visit and some definite things that we wanted to do and that this was a vacation for us. She seemed perfectly fine with this when I explained that we wanted to see everyone that we hadn't seen in some time. So I'm feeling moderately relaxed about this until I phone my brother to let him know. :) Thanks for all of your help! I truly appreciate it and it felt very good to be firm to my mom about what WE wanted for a change. :) I think the weekend may be fun now. Danielle
    ...See More

What did you have to give up when you built your home?

Q

Comments (45)
    I built my dream home. Not my fantasy home, but as Jan speaks of, my realistic dream home. What was important to myself and my DH. Not the fantasy. I joke that I always dreamed of sit down dinners in a formal dining room. However my reality is that my entertaining style is buffet and indoor/outdoor entertaining so we built our house to accomodate that. No separate dining room. My dream was a walk in laundry but nowadays anything that has a stain on it gets a spray of Spray and Wash and gets thrown in the machine and then goes into the dryer. No fussing with laundry for us so we have our laundry in our hallway to our bedroom behind closed cabinets. My studio is large but that's because I'm a professional artist. DH's office is smaller because he doesn't need as large a space. Plus my space doubles as a third bedroom with a pull out couch if needed. (In the 3 years we've been here, we needed it a total of 3 nights.) Our guest bedroom has a Murphy bed and doubles as an exercise room. It's right sized and there is no separate bathroom for only the guest bedroom. I have no interest in cleaning a bathroom that will be used once in a blue moon so the guest bedroom and my studio share a hall bathroom. None of my guests have ever complained! And many have come back to visit second and third times. And would be back for more except for Covid. My point being, really think about how you actually live and how you will live once you're retired and build accordingly. Not your fantasy.
    ...See More
  • bulldinkie
    17 years ago

I have a jack russell,shes never gone in the house,never ruined anything of mine.Youre missing out on a really great dog,shes very protctive,loving smart dog.

• klimkm
    17 years ago

The problem with people who have dogs is sometimes the owners do not establish themselves as the alpha dog immediately. This is not good. You are the boss of that dog. And the dog will be comfortable in that situation because in a normal dog pack there is an alpha wolf or head of the pack.

It seems to be worse in owners who have little teeny dogs. They treat the dogs like a baby and spoil them rotten. For some reason owners put up with behavior in a tiny animal that they would never ever stand for in a larger breed. Biting, nipping, food stealing.

All doggies will benefit from some training classes if necessary. They are training for the owners as well as the dogs!

• seamommy
    17 years ago

Yep, I agree with isolating the annoying dog. My dog is loud and annoying and when people come over Molly goes to the garage with a treat. But I live in the country and I like having a protective dog. She's not large, only about 30 lbs, but she is defensive of me and barks like crazy when someone comes to the door. And that suits me just fine. But I would never expect a guest to put up with a pest in my home. I occasionally will isolate a cat or two as well. Cheryl

• simpleman
    17 years ago

Gosh, maybe I'm missing something. Why is an annoying dog any more of a problem tnan an annoying child or obnoxious adult?

When you come to visit and your kids push every button on my stereo and/or tv or pull stuff out of my garage and strew it over the yard, am I to expect the parents to lock them in a room until the visit is over? Should they repay me for my time spent putting my house back in order or repay me for my out of pocket expense for the damaage THEIR children cause? When the children whine incessantly, why is that less annoying than my mishaving dog?

When I visit friends and one of them becomes obnoxious and annoying should I expect them to leave the house too?

I am NOT equating people with animals! But the point is it is MY home. Not yours. Yes, I have pretty well behaved dogs, but if you don't like dogs or your particularly attactive to them, I guarantee you that you will not be left alone. They will pester you for attention to no end.

Maybe I'm old fashioned (all of 53 and counting), but I was taught that when you visit someone it is THEIR home, NOT yours. If you don't like what you see, don't visit. If you don't like the housekeeping, the smelly cat litter, the noisy dog, the old bull like dog that won't leave you alone or whatever, it is YOUR probelm, not the hosts. I was also taught that as a host, if you don't like the annoying children or spouse, don't invite them back. After all, you can meet on neutral ground.

Yes, as a host I want to make my guests comfortable. But that does not include changing my morals or lifestyle. I have been in the position where my friend's house actually smelled horrible because she didn't change the cat litter often enough. Is it MY right to tell her that the house is smelly? Is it right for me to bring my own odor control when I visit?

If you come from the school that believes you should do anything possible to make your guests comfortable, then go for it. By the way, I like fine single malt scotches so no Cuttysark for me, thank you. But if it is your home and I come to visit, you can serve me whatever you have on hand. If you have a dog or cat or both, I'll take them all in stride no matter what they dish out.

• oakleif
    17 years ago

simpleman, you put it so much better than i did.
    oakleif

• bulldinkie
    17 years ago

I agree,When my sisternlaw comes to visit she doesnt like dogs so hubby puts my jack russell outside.No more......she lives there,notsisternlaw.Id rather have the dog there any day than the sisternlaw........

• beeanne
    17 years ago

Simpleman, Finally a voice of reason! I was getting really irritated reading some of the posts. I do put my animals up when strangers come over. (repairmen or an aquantiance who is just stopping by for a minute for example and not yet what you'd call a friend.) But a FRIEND over to visit and hangout with me? No way! If they don't like it, they can leave. I'd never dream of asking someone to lock their animals up for me. I've had people offer to, but I always decline and say "no, don't bother, I love dogs." Most dogs settle down after the initial excitement of company is over anyway.

• rivkadr
    17 years ago

Let's do a hypothetical: I'm assuming that YOU are doing the inviting, yes? Random people aren't just inserting themselves into your house and plopping themselves onto your couch? So if you're inviting people over, then it behooves you to make your guest comfortable since you are, after all, doing the inviting. If your dog is well-mannered, then there is no trouble. That is NOT the kind of dog that I think people are talking about here (or at least not the kind that the OP was posting about). If you invite someone over, and they say, "Sorry, but I don't feel comfortable coming over because your dog jumps all over me," isn't it your responsibility to do something about it? By either training the dog, or shutting them away? Assuming, of course, that you actually want your friend to come visit. If you don't want them to visit, then fine. You can live in your house with your (hypothetical) obnoxious dog, and never have any company ;)

The point is, if you want to have company, there's got to be some compromise on your side, or else no one is going to want to spend time at your house. You can stand there and say "This is MY house and this is how WE live" all you want, but that's not how some OTHER people want to live when they come to visit you. If you don't want them to visit, don't make changes. If you do want them to visit, then train the dog, or shut them away while the friend is visiting.

• rivkadr
    17 years ago

And I just want to add, that as a female who is only 5'1" and a little over 100 pounds, I find it very intimidating to walk into someone's house and have their dogs come rushing up and jumping all over me. YOU know your dogs are sweet and loving. I don't. And when they jump all over me, it HURTS. A lot.

When I visit someone else's house, I expect some basic things:

- I won't be jumped on or sniffed in the crotch by animals
    - it won't be horrendously stinky
    - it won't be filthy
    - any kids will be relatively well behaved

If any of the above basic tenets aren't met, then chances are good, I won't come back. You, as the hostess, have a responsibility to ensure that my experience at your house is a pleasant one. That is why you invited me over, isn't it? To have a pleasant time with you?

All of us have to make certain concessions when we have guests over. What shocks me in this thread is the lack of common etiquette and understanding of what being a host is.

• labmomma
    17 years ago

I think what we have to remember is that dog behavior can be interpreted very subjectively.

For instance, the friend I referenced that I socialize with at a restaurant, hates all dogs. She is deathly afraid. She is an avid runner, carries some kind of deterrent spray and uses it.

Some people just don't like dogs. I just find it easier to meet up with her away from my dogs. My dogs behave well, but when someone first comes in of course they are excited and want to say hello.

They don't jump, probably won't sniff the crotch, but I never say never, and they will go and lie down IF YOU DON'T KEEP PUTTING YOUR HAND DOWN. People who visit constantly make this mistake with dogs. I keep saying - if you ignore them they will go lie down, but no they keep paying attention, speaking to the dogs, petting the dogs and the like.

Just ignore them and they will lie down. They know the drill its the visitor I am having trouble training.

• lilod
    17 years ago

There is another side of the coin: I have a min-pin, she was spoiled when got her and it took some time to train her to comply with my wishes and to stay off people, some guests encourage her to come and jump on them and they say "But she is soooo cute" and when I correct her, they think I am a mean person.
    It does send mixed signals to the dog and annoys me.

• nycefarm_gw
    17 years ago

I don't believe my dogs are very annoying to anyone who is invited.
    They DO bark when someone arrives, that is their job. If I know them, the dogs calm down and behave though they may sniff around a bit, then go their merry way.
    If I don't know the person, I grab the biggest one by the collar,(she is more aggresive/louder/protective than the other two) and hold on as if this large barking dog is FEROCIOUS! BEWARE!
    Works every time, most people won't get out of the car! If I feel confident that there is no real threat, I will put her inside so as not to reveal that she is just a simple dog. She is really just a loud mouth, and wouldn't hurt a flea.
    When asked, does she bite? I always say she has teeth, doesn't she?

• livvysmom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Interesting responses. I am not a dog-hater (I don't have one and don't want one but I don't hate them). If a dog approaches me for attention I will pet him/her -- I just don't want to be jumped on, barked at, growled at, bothered when I am eating etc...

We visited a friend of my DH's recently and they had a huge sheepdog like dog that kept jumping on us -- totally unacceptable. I was afraid it would knock my 4 year old over or scratch her eyes. The wife suggested locking up the dog and the husband's response was "no, he'll just bark." He even lept up on the couch where we were sitting.

BTW, on Martha Stewart one time she suggested if a dog keeps jumping at you to bend one of your legs at a 45 degree angle -- they supposidly only like a vertical surface to jump at so this keeps them off -- worth a try!

To those of you who equate dogs with children --- my young kids might "act up" at your house but I guarantee they won't hurt you. Besides I don't put animals on the same level as children (even though I love my little kitty so much).

Here is one other story of a couple my parents knew who had no kids -- their little Shih Tzu was their "child." When I was about 12 years old we visited them after they moved to Florida. My cousin was with us as we were on vacation. Well, the dog would not stop humping my poor cousin's leg. Every chair she moved to the dog would go after her. Finally, the lady suggested that we were "getting the dog riled up" and we should probably go down to the pool to swim. My parents were so mad they never went back there.

• labmomma
    17 years ago

I get that you are not a "dog" person. It is not likely that someone will invite you to their home with your children to visit a dog resembling that seen on Cujo (spelling?).

I think a lot of your apprehension regarding your daughter could have been alleviated by picking her up. I have large dogs and my niece who is 6 and tiny and lives with 2 big dogs, reacts to my big dogs when she comes into our house and the dogs are happy to see her. They will sometimes jump, but they don't jump on her, they jump around her and she gets anxious. We just pick her up and put her in a chair at the island. Two minutes go by, she is distracted, feels better, the dogs calm down. She gets down and continues on forgeting she was ever anxious when she walked in. Once you start reacting to the dogs jumping it just excites them more thus you get more jumping and that kind of happy to see you behavior. I know you don't see it that way, but that's how I see it because I know my dogs.

I think dogs can sense a a "non-dog" person in the same way a horse can sense if the rider is afraid or not in control. I have seen it. My friend has come to my home on occasion for things that are mandatory like my wedding, she was in it. I know she is definitely not a dog person so I put the dog away. No problem. But in reality, the dog would do her no harm.

I am not defending your friend's Shih Tzu, the humping thing is a no no in our house, but I do find that when someone who's not a dog person comes in they don't listen when I tell them to stop paying attention to the dogs and they will go lie down. Despite saying it, you will see the guest still talking to my dogs. Saying hi, now go lie down, etc. Not realizing that the dogs aren't going to take commands from my guests. I am the alpha. They really will stop if commanded by the person in charge and left to do so and not encouraged by the guest. I know you don't think you are encouraging but I see kids do it they started whining and that gets the dogs going. So maybe when you visit someone with a dog, just ignore the dog, it will go away. It may jump, if you just keep on walking the dog will get that you're not interested.

• kms4me
    17 years ago

I think the way this thread was posted is part of the problem. It is so one-sided--if you have an ANNOYING dog (by whose standards?) LOCK IT UP. I was brought up to believe that if you were a visitor in someone's home, you respected them and their family (of which their pets are a part) and the rules of their house.

I have two small dogs, miniature rat terriers, and they are very well socialized and love everyone, and they don't understand that their affection and attention are not always wanted. They do not claw, bite, hump, or scratch, but they are persistent in wanting to be petted and acknowledged. Ignoring them won't work, they just think they haven't worked hard enough for you to notice them. They can't fathom that a human doesn't want to pet them or talk to them. When a new visitor comes, I ask them straight out if they like dogs, and if they don't like dogs or seem annoyed by Annie and Homer's enthusiasm, someone else in the family will play with the terriers or take them outside or in some other way positively engage them. If no one else is home, I ask the visitor to come outside with us so my dogs will be otherwise stimulated. I would never lock them up as it would be punishing them (in their own home!) for being the happy, loving dogs I have brought them up to be.

On the other side of the issue, my neighbor has a large, leaping dog that has knocked me over and even split my lip by jumping into my face (I'm a shortie too, so I understand where all you five footers are coming from)when I visit. I have found it best to be up front with her (my neighbor, not the dog) and call ahead and ask that she be outside to help guide Cody's wild enthusiasm in another direction. We have worked out a system whereby she leaves a tennis ball in her mailbox which I throw to Cody, and he is so thrilled to be positively engaged and actually sits and waits for my praise. Cody and I are friends, my neighbor and I are not tense with each other, and nobody gets locked up.

I think if you like someone enough to want to visit them, you should be able to diplomatically express what your concerns/issues are and try to work something out, and not expect that they should lock a member of their family away. As Simpleman said (you really made me smile!), and I paraphrase, I have met a lot of children who annoyed or were obnoxious to me, yet I would never ask their parents to put them in another room. Pets, like children, have emotions and attachments that are not put on hold for the convenience of visitors. Family is family.

Kate

• labmomma
    17 years ago

I love the tennis ball in the mailbox. Just love seeing thes kinds of things worked out, especially when a friendship is in between. Clearer heads definitely prevailed. I think since you have pets of your own you are able to see it from the "dog's point of view". Thank you.

• africanvioletlvr
    17 years ago

When a dog does that...I sometiems wish Cesar Millan would show up and show the owners the correct way of punishing a dog. The dog is doing that for attention. Small dogs are like that. i know. i have a Jack russell terrier. we looked up on them and stuff before we got one so we weren't too overwhelmed with her. she makes the greatest family pet. We are one of those families that are a bit active so she fits right in with the family. The problem with threats is that they are just that...threats. The dog isn't going to care. Spray bottles hardly work for the vast majority of dogs. It worked on my big dub black lab/border collie mix when i had her, but not enough. we ended up having to take her to the pound to my dismay.

Your friend needs to correct her dog and if it still is being an issue...there is this outdoor world that doesn't bite. I'd give the dog a special treat that it only gets when people are around and I'd toss it out there and let it have fun with the toy or bone.

• beeanne
    17 years ago

Wonderful post Kate!
    Also,you are right about the way this thread is titled.
    Hec, I found myself annoyed at the poster before I even read what she had to say.

• bean_counter_z4
    17 years ago

Guess there is hospitality and then there is dog owner hospitality. When I have guests, I put myself out to make them comfortable. I want my guest to know they are important, welcome, respected. My Aggie wonÂt bite but if she likes you she will get her wet doggy nose all over your good clothes and she will pester you to shake handsÂa little game I was stupid enough to teach her. She is sad to go to the bedroom but I will make it up to her when my friends leave. I donÂt see a conflict here. ItÂs all a matter of the respect I feel toward guests as opposed to a brief incarceration for Aggie. She's an exceptional dog, she will not be offended;~)

• beeanne
    17 years ago

OK... just thinking here. Maybe there is so much disagreement here because we all have different lifestyles. I don't exactly "entertain guests in my home" I "have friends over." They don't even need an invite and I prefer they treat my home as their own.I don't play the "host." If I were to "invite a guest over" I guess I could put my dogs/cats up, offer something to drink and get it for them instead of saying, "help yourself" :-)
    The original poster said, whenever she goes to her friends house the dog is a PEST and her kids end up crying, and God forbid you try to eat something etc. To me it didn't exactly sound like she was being invited over for a nice quiet dinner or anything.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    17 years ago

I'm with you beeane.. I don't entertain, but have friends come over. My dog wouldn't be locked up or put out unless someone had a reason to be here for a short period and was terrified of animals. My sister hates how animals "look" at her. I can't imagine where she got her dislike for animals from, but I respect her enough to not allow any of my pets to jump in her lap or bug her for attention. She respects me enough to visit despite her dislike of my pets. And she tactfully doesn't mention the pet hair on her clothes when she leaves.

• beeanne
    17 years ago

LOL that dreaded pet hair! No matter how much I clean, PLEASE don't wear nice black pants to my house.They are hair magnets and you'll end up with a furry butt. It wouldn't matter if the dogs were put up or not. In fact, don't wear your "good" clothes at all. Just wear something comfortable and relax.
    Lucky you to have a sister close enough to visit. I sure miss my sis. :-(

• simpleman
    17 years ago

I think beeanne & moonie may be on to somethng here. I assumed (please don't remind me what that stands for!) based on the original post that this was a freindly visit with friends/family. No mention was made of other guests and since the children were allowed to carry food around the house I was guessing a pretty good friend at that (or not if they want the dog stowed away).

Let' see:
    Formal party ... no question the dogs would be out of sight and sound. This would be a reception for a VIP, cocktail party, black tie affair, & so on.
    Friends/family ... no question that the dogs stay. This would be highly informal, laid back and relaxed. As beeanne & moonie said, make yourself at home.
    Informal get togethers .... this would be birthday parties, showers, and so on, many times with children present. This could also be a visit with someone you are meeting for the first time.

I'll grant that informal events are grey scale or more murky. I do tend to keep the dogs around, especially if there are children present. Great entertainment for the kids. But the more the event leans toward formality and/or the guests are either unknown or barely known, I would tend to put the gordons away. If it is a sit down proper affair then no dogs, but a back yard barbeque and they're present.

However, the original question was "If you have a dog and a guest asked you lock it a room (for only a short time of course) -- would you?". None of my guests have ever been either arrogant enough nor selfish enough to ever ask me that question. That question in my view would be beyond rude. My response would be "Let me help you to your car".

• rivkadr
    17 years ago

My response would be "Let me help you to your car".

YOU probably don't have an annoying dog.

If you had an animal that did the following:

- continually jumped on people
    - continually slobbered on people
    - kept sniffing at crotches

I.e. was being annoying and not being a normal animal and going and lying down (or at least chilling out) after the normal "meet and greet" that most dogs do, would it really be arrogant and selfish of a guest to ask you to put them away? Most people, even non-dog people are willing to put up with normal dog behavior. It's the abnormal, annoying dog behavior that the OP was trying to address here -- the rest of you are getting up in arms about something else.

• tamelask
    17 years ago

may i just point out that the sort of people who let their dogs or children run rampant are also the ones who would tend to react badly to being asked or expected to put them up? just as the worst drivers are likely to be the ones who'd go nuts if you pointed it out to them, so we let them get away with it. don't have dogs and don't particularly care for them though i don't hate them, but have lots of freinds who do, and for the most part they are fine with me and i with them. i have been very annoyed, though when a dog won't let me be or stop being annoying, just as i would if it were kids. if i have an experience like that, i don't repeat it if at all possible. my kids are well behaved or they go into a timeout situation- even at freind's houses. how is that different from our expectation for dogs, or should it be?

and, for that matter, when we had cats, if someone didn't like them or was allergic we put them up. as bird owners now, we did the same. we do intros, and then if the folks aren't comfortable, they go their cages & stay- being covered if necessary to quiet them. i feel if i have people over, even if they are close to me, i have an obligation to make them feel reasonably comfortable unless they themselves are being completely unreasonable. it's all subjective, yes, but what happened to good manners? most things really are shades of grey, and compromise is a wonderful social asset, in all aspects of life.

• beeanne
    17 years ago

First- The title of the thread is enough to get some dog owners riled. If you have an annoying dog--lock it up when I come over. My first response was "hmmmph, don't like it, don't come over." It didn't sound like she was receiving written invitations.
    This dog is a maltese.She never mentioned any slobbering or crotch sniffing. Also her kids are walking around carrying snacks. Why can't they sit up at the table or something? Who's annoying who here? Sounds like the kids might be annoying the dog. She didn't mention if her friend had kids or not but my guess is not. Maybe her friend wishes she'd leave the kids with a sitter when she "comes over" so the dog wouldn't act up.If they truly are good friends they'll work it out. If not, then I say find another friend who does not have an annoying dog.
    Also,I can't believe a grown up can't handle a maltese while she's sitting on the sofa. Shoot, just keep putting him down or hold him long enough, to the point he wants to get down. It sounds like this little dog runs the house and after 8 years, I doubt that will change.

• rthummer
    17 years ago

I put my dogs up when someone comes to our home,that is not familiar with our dogs, or isn't a dog lover. I did have trouble with my Doxie licking friend's legs. Got some bitter apple and used that and problem was resolved. Come to find out friends were using a lotion that apparently Coal, my doxie, liked.
    We do have a sign at the beginning of our road (property) that says something like this.
    THIS PROPERTY IS MAINTAINED FOR THE LOVE, SECURITY, AND SAFETY OF OUR ANIMALS.
    IF YOU DON'T LIKE THAT PLEASE GO AWAY.

That kinda tells it all. So all my friends are dog lovers and will bring them over to my house as they know they are welcome. So far so good. No cats allowed though.

• JerriEllijay
    17 years ago

Simpleman,

Would you like your scotch straight up or on the rocks, you're welcome at our house ANYTIME!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

Livvysmon,

I have a friend I go and visit and her dog sound just like the one you describe. My friend has maybe never had a dog since childhood, and she is 76 now.

When the dog barks so badly we cannot visit, I roll up a newspaper, and very firmly tell it to hush. She is amozed when the dog quiets down, yet when she says it, it's not loud or firm enough and the dog ignores her.

I have found that if I sit on a straight back chair or in a wood rocker, that the dog will not mall me, like it does if I sit on the sofa.

Sad, but the dog will never acquire social graces, but my main purpose is to try and have a nice visit in spite of the ill mannered dog. I realize it is really not his fault that he has not been trained properly.

Sue

• Gerry1117
    17 years ago

If you knock on my door, my dogs will bark like crazy, too. They are trained to do so. I live alone and they are part of my security system. I peer out, and if it is someone I know well, or if it's family or close friends, I use my code word and the dogs quieten immediately. Then, if I invite you in, the dogs go to their "places" after gently greeting you. They are trained not to jump on people.

I don't really think of myself as anti-social, but people who decide to drop by, unexpectedly and/or uninvited, must not expect me to ban my dogs to another part of the house.

On the other hand, if I have invited someone over, and I know they have an allergy to dogs, or a fear of dogs because of some past trauma, I will put my dogs out in the fenced backyard before my guest arrives, weather permitting, for the duration of the visit, with some kongs I have stuffed with treats for their enjoyment. If it is raining, too hot, too cold, then I will put them in my bedroom wing with their kongs.

Love me, love my dogs.

• beeanne
    17 years ago

Love me, love my dogs.

Problem solved.

Good catch Jerry.

• alittlebitofboth
    17 years ago

DON'T VISIT

• User
    17 years ago

Seems to me that if people who allowed dogs to be annoying in ther first place were not allowed to have dogs---there would be no problem.

Dogs do require training and rules. It sometimes takes time for those two things to happen. I have two dogs, one a Lab/pit mix who is 1&1/2. The other is a Rottweiler/German Shepherd mix who is now about 2&1/2. Louie the Lip and Max, respectfully. Max was adopted from some friends---who did not establish correct behavioral rules. He was what trainers call a Red Zone dog----completely out of control immediately when excited. He is also an Alpha dog. I have had him about a year. He is now quite reserved when strangers or friends visit. He smells them and goes and lays down unless directed to stay. That is his training.

Louie is a bit more difficult. He has an attention problem. When he focuses on something---another dog, a cat, squirrel, bird, fly----whatever---he is totally focused on that thing. He is also a fearful dog. No telling who is going to scare him. My youngest son terrifies him. Some friends do. His other problem is affection----when he is happy to see someone----he is a bulldozer. The attention thing. Very difficult to redirect his attention. I've had him longer---got him at six weeks of age. But, trianing is tougher. He is making progress----and my other DIL---who was initially terrified of him is acknowledging the change.

There is no reason to subject a person to an unruly dog, other than training. And that is something many people do too little of. You come to my house, you will meet my dogs. It will not be unsupervised and it will not be a problem. I nam a responsible dog owner.

• simpleman
    17 years ago

Jerriellijay,

On the rocks will do!

• brutuses
    17 years ago

Peatpod that dog is a killer. He should be locked up. HA! HA! So precious. Looks like mine and the kittens.

I won't visit someone who has an unruly dog that I have to deal with.

When people visit my house my dogs are made to behave or else they go to their room. Unless someone is coming over to spefically look at my dogs I don't think they should have to endure bad behavior from them.

• pjb999
    17 years ago

rivkadr, I'm with you.

I too, am a bit surprised by some of these responses. "Love me, love my dog" - well that has its limits.

Surely this is all a case of good manners. If you invite someone over, I think it's reasonable of them to expect a little of their own space, and your animals or kids are going to respect it. If I'm visiting someone else, I certainly expect my kids or dog to be well-behaved, but I apply that to being the host too.

My Labradoodle Lucy is going on a year old. Because she hates going in the car so much, and she's had severe gastric problems since her spaying, we haven't taken her to obedience classes, but have worked with her ourselves. She is a gorgeous, good-natured dog but sometimes doesn't know her own size (60 pounds) but is generally very gentle. If she's around very small kids I watch her very closely and if things were out of hand, I'd have no problems putting her outside if I had guests.....I wouldn't expect any guest to tolerate any sort of bad behaviour from her. Fortunately it's not really an issue because she is well-behaved but if she was to snatch food from a guest or anything like that, she'd be in trouble. She is a real people/pack animal and knows her place well, but isn't too shy. Most if not all of our visitors fall in love with her but I'd never expect anyone to go beyond their own comfort zone with her - we're the boss, not she, so she has to toe the line.

My previous dog was a poodle-terrier cross and I loved him dearly but he was unpredictable, and could be scary. He even nipped the mailman once, I was horrified, but no injury fortunately. I would always put him out if strangers came over, but I hated not knowing how he'd react but I never took chances...so I feel lucky that my Lucy is such a sweet-natured dog.

• jenme
    17 years ago

As a dog trainer I hate when people assume that small dogs are supposed to act that way!! They only act that way because people have taught them it gets them what they want! These dogs are clearly the alphas in the house not the owners!! For about $20 you can buy an electric dog trainer, it emits a high pitch sound that people can't hear but most dogs hate! You could keep it in your pocket and push the button as soon as you approach the house and repeat as needed! These are also great when walking in areas that have a high rate of stray dogs, they just naturally want to go away from the sound.
    There are of course better ways to train a dog not to do this in the first place but since it's not your dog maybe this would help. I would tell your friend to buy a crate for the little yappers and lock them in it when they get out of hand. I bet IF she walks the dogs they walk on harnesses/extended leads, wrong, wrong, wrong.
    PS Cesar Milan RULES! Buy her his book for Christmas called Cesar's Way. EVERY dog owner should read it.

• dreamgarden
    17 years ago

rivkadr and pjb999, I find it hard not to agree with you. We used to visit a friend who's dog spent the entire visit trying to jump on us or sniff our crotches. It got really tiresome. To avoid this unpleasantness, we would meet at restaurants until our friend met a nice girl and SHE helped teach the dog some much needed manners.

When we got our last dog, I picked up a book that described a method of training a dog that didn't involve crating him. It called for putting eye hooks into the base of the wall in several different rooms. You would attach a leash to each one and if the dog was misbehaving, you would pull the dog over to the leash and attach it to his collar. This way the dog was allowed to remain in the room with people enjoying company, yet unable to annoy anyone or get into trouble. This probably wouldn't work with a compulsive barker, but it did work to teach the dog that if he couldn't behave, he would be restrained. Better than yelling at him or banishing him to a solitary place.

• prfrsteve92547
    17 years ago

heh, op, my dog and cat are more important than you. you aren't invited. moot point.

• tamarisk
    17 years ago

Perhaps the OP's friend with the annoying dog is trying to tell the visitor something. Perhaps she doesn't like the kids smearing their snacks around, etc. Perhaps she is trying to discourage this visitor dropping by. Seems to me the visitor and kids may be as "annoying" as the dog!!!

• janicesmithson
    7 years ago

I could hardly believe kms4me's opinion that she expects guests to constantly acknowledge her dogs while visiting. Why should anyone have to do that? If they wanted to pet little yappy dogs for half an hour or however long, it would be obvious by their actions. You said ignoring them doesn't work, so I'm assuming this is a frequent stance your guests have taken to no avail. Nothing is more irritating than a dog (or child) DEMANDING constant attention, especially small nervous-type, overly energetic ones. Would you like for someone's two small children to demand your constant attention while you were visiting? I'm guessing you would not, nor should it be expected of you to interact with them both physically and mentally during your entire visit. They are your dogs. No one else should involuntarily have to interact with them on any level. Furthermore, if they are barking at people they are familiar with and know not to be a threat, this too is unacceptable. The problem lies with you, not your guests. The dogs are merely the resulting product of someone who simply can't believe the rest of the world isn't as equally enthralled & captivated by their pets "cuteness" as they are. So they've been taught to force themselves on unsuspecting guests. I am sure you would never invite me to your house more than once. I am equally sure I would not accept a second invitation if you did.

• SaltiDawg
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

"The dogs are merely the resulting product of someone who simply can't
    believe the rest of the world isn't as equally enthralled &
    captivated by their pets "cuteness" as they are."

Perfect!

I love my dog (Retired racing Greyhound) and she is well behaved when encountering strangers or strange surroundings. Because everyone is not as enamored with dogs, particularly large dogs, I do not take her to local non-dog-related places that allow dogs out of respect for those people. I do not take her to Lowes, Home Depot, etc, etc. I do take her to local parks to walk on the trails with her on-lead. However when I encounter other people, either with or without a dog of their own with them, I announce my proximity by saying, " I have a large Greyhound dog here. She is not aggressive and I have her on a leash. I'll pull off to the side to let you pass."

As often as not, that announcement causes people to feel comfortable and they will stop and ask me about the dog.

I still have a crate for my dog in my home. I have not shut the door on that crate in over a year, but she does frequently snooze in it. If I have a visitor that is afraid of her or the dog is otherwise causing discomfort, I'd crate her and shut the door in a second.

Dogs, kids, pet snakes, and pet spiders are not everyone's cup of tea!

• PRO
    Elite Interiors & Furniture Gallery
    7 years ago

If you don't like the dog it is simple; don't go to her house.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

What a thread- oldie, but goodie. My take is a bit of a compromise:

All of our friends understand my 9 year old sweet Beagle Max. He was abandoned by breeders when he was 6 weeks old, due to their loss of lease on a property. We adopted him, brought him home and did our best. But this way-too-young-to-be-away-from-his pack was needy.

We gave him all the love he needed. He's very smart and observant, and so simply started emulating his pack. That includes hugging when people enter our home, since this is the behavior he's always seen. He hugs, too. That's really all he asks, from a visitor. A hug, and maybe a sweet kiss- no tongue, he just puts his face on your neck. Funny doggie!

It can get a bit "rambunctious" as people enter. But our friends get it, hug him like he's our furry two year old, and then Max calms down. Not everybody loves it, and we know the friends where we just need to remove him for a bit, until he gets less excited for company.

Now, if children enter? Another story. He's not allowed to do that. He LOVES kids, but I can't have Max bowling toddlers over. So we keep that in check, and wait to see if the child is interested. Then we introduce them, let the child pet him (silkiest hair, ears you've ever felt), and he's gentle.

Max is, like most hounds, also driven by his nose and stomach. He's not allowed around guests as they eat- he knows where to sit. If he get's invasive, then he has to go to his "room". He hates that, since he's social and just wants to be around people, so it's rare that he won't comply.

Now- when a stranger comes to the door? We let them have the "full effect". Aggressive barks- and loud- until and unless we signal that it's safe. And we put his 'good dog leash" on, if this is (for example) a repair person, there to do a job. But if you're not invited? You're not invited, and he sounds like the Gates of Hell are opening, until he's told "ok".

A compromise that works for us and our friends.

My sweet pup, in his first month at my house. He just wanted to be ok.

Grew up to be fairly mellow

Still thinks he's a person.

• Danielle Crowley
    7 years ago

I've got to terms with the fact that there are plenty people out there who simply don't see or care about how their dog behaves around people. Sometimes or often they think it's cute while it's really not.

• HU-120794699
    3 years ago

It's a very sad day when people have more empathy for their pets than they do human beings. It is dangerous when a dog jumps on elderly, disabled, people with balance problems, and small children. I think there are a lot of pet owners with very confused priorities. Very sad indeed! 🌺

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    2 years ago

My 90 year old mother was recently at my nephews house for a birthday party. His English Springer Spaniel jumped up and put his paws on her chest, she took three steps back -- and luckily caught herself. She could have easily fell backward. It's all she talked about for a week lol.

Sponsored