SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
betsyhac

I just witnessed cruelty to a dog and I don't know what to do

betsyhac
11 years ago

How cruel is it to pick up a 5-6 month old Shepherd/Hound mix puppy by the skin on his back in two places (lower than the scruff of his neck), carry him that way about 5 feet, then up about 5 steps, then about 5 more feet? I just witnessed my neighbor do this in anger to his dog, and I'm really upset about it. I know it hurt the dog; he was wimpering in pain. This is the first time I've seen this guy be cruel to the dog, which he's had for a couple of weeks, altho he does seem to have a short temper about the dog running away, which I think is completely unrealistic at this point. I haven't really seen him employ any tried and true training techniques - just a lot of yelling the dog's name - and the dog doesn't seem to get much time being outside and running either, which is so wrong, especially for a puppy.

You know, I'm not immune to anger. I'm Irish and have a temper. I yell at my animals probably more than I should. But I have zero tolerance for cruelty. And I'm really angry right now about this and trying not to react too strongly.

He did this in front of his children, too - 4 and 7, which is really stupid. Nice lesson for the kids.

He had no business getting a dog, and I know his wife didn't want one. His mother takes care of their kids during the day, and she's all about big "woe is me" drama whenever she has to deal with the dog. Their 4 year old has myriad medical issues and is special needs. The Mom has myriad medical issues and debilitating migraines, which have had her off of work on disability for several months at a time. The Mom is a sweetheart tho. And this guy is generally a nice guy, albeit quiet and difficult to talk to. They're young - 30ish - and his actions often lead me to think that he's in denial about his situation.

I'm surprised, too, to see him do such a poor job of training, bc his sister has two dogs that are really sweet and well-behaved. And he and his sister are close.

I know that if I see anything like this again, I will not be able to contain myself. Right now, I'm wondering if I just need to get over it and not react at all. I'm not a passive person, and I will not ever stand by and be quiet if I see abuse.

TIA for your input,

Betsy

Comments (20)