SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
4bucks

rug for family room .. help please ?

4bucks
4 years ago

Room is a work in progress ! Stuck on what kind of rug (pattern ? Oriental? Solid? ) and size rug would you get for this room . Room is narrow with door openings on either side of fireplace . What to brighten and lighten things up . We recently moved in furniture is not ideal I know but it’s what I have to work with for now . Please help . The small throw rug in the pick is where it fell from the unpacking ...

Comments (39)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    4 years ago

What are the dimensions of the room?

• 4bucks
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oops room dimensions are
    12’3” x 23’8”

• Related Discussions

Help! Rug ideas to tie family room together

Q

Comments (16)
    Start with a good-sized high-contrast rug like those suggested already. Once you see how that looks, then move on to your other ideas--desk, bar, etc. Grover's idea for a sofa table displaying photos or art work is just great because it opens up the window and curtain space. Going forward, Keep in mind that you have all brown flooring--a "fourth wall"--massive brown sofa, big black TV set, brown table in the niche, and brown coffee table. Enough with the brown! Notice how great your curtains look. Add light pillows or pieces with color or other finishes than brown. Good luck!
    ...See More

Rug help in family room!

Q

Comments (8)
    If you really want a rug that large, then plan to put all the seating entirely on it. I really wouldn't want it closer to the hearth than 15-18" so it isn't a fire hazard. A good general "rule" you could tape out would be to place it 18" from the hearth, slipping it under the front 1/3 of the sofas. Leggy chairs like your wings should either be all the way on it or all the way off. If you want a cozy family/TV room, I would replace the formal, upright wing chairs and the loveseat (which mostly hinders a good seating arrangement) with four comfy swivel chairs.
    ...See More

Would love help with choosing a 9 x 12 rug for my family room.

Q

Comments (11)
    I’d break up the blue and grey by introducing a warm beige and some natural elements. A textured, tone on tone beige rug would create a soft and relaxed feel in room. New Zealand wool rugs are not that expensive and will last forever Then you could rethink your accent cushions
    ...See More

Help with rug & wall color options for my family room

Q

Comments (14)
    Thanks @Beverly for the visuals! It definitely helps to see the potential for the room. Ironically, I saw a swatch of the rug before I ordered it and it seemed more beige even though it was described as "ivory." Thanks @Louise Smith for your suggestions. I'm not a fan of bright color rugs but I realize that others may have different tastes, especially on a forum like this. I'm planning on getting a 9x12 wool rug though, so not necessarily an inexpensive purchase. I'd like something that will last and would rather make changes with smaller accent pieces over time.
    ...See More
  • 4bucks
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Also open to rearranging furniture but for now sectional stays. I don’t think it can fit anywhere else ?

• njmomma
    4 years ago

following

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Move the glass front chest to the wider wall right of the window where you have the sectional now. Take the white chair and footstool to a bedroom. Slide the sectional down so it is as close to the fireplace as possible with the doorway. Then pull the leather wing chair in to the sectional space so you make a more conversational grouping. Move the shelf that is at the sectional end now to the space where the glass front cabinet was. Add a tall live plant (ficus or rubber plant) in the corner behind the current wing chair location. Shop for a coffee table, lamps and art. Use the bench that is serving as a coffee table where the shelf was. It will be a tight squeeze to get a rug that is the right size for the sofa since the hearth will squeeze things a bit. Move stuff and then we'll see.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I'd prob do a soft sage green tone that works w/your wall color and all of the reddish toned elements (flooring, FP, sofa, woodwork)

when you get a new rug, get diff pillows. what you have now are a mis-mash, and don't really work. pick tones from your wall, lamp, sofa or whatever rug you choose.

Well Woven Timeless Green Area Rug, 6'7"x9'3" · More Info

Ancient Stair Treads, Light Green/Border Color Ivory, 31"x9" Tread · More Info

or do the warm autumn tones

Studio In Bloom by Patina Vie Rug, Spice, 8'x10' · More Info

you have a lot of oversized furniture in that room. I like the sofa, but it really is too large for that space. I like your white chair, but I think you need to ditch the bench for a wood coffee table, or something narrow or round.

• 4bucks
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions ! Would you have the rug just in the sectional area or up to the chair . I did have the shelves and cabinet reversed originally but it was too tight a fit with the sectional . I think that’s what you’re suggesting ? . I didn’t think about pulling it forward it may work that way ! :-) I agree furniture is too large for room but we are a family of 6 and if we all want to watch a movie etc this is the only room. Right now the kids prefer comfort vs interior design so no immediate plans to replace couch but definitely down the road . The white chair is a swivel and super comfy but I may be able to put that someplace else . In this pic everything’s pushed back to the sides which is what we do when watching a movie but otherwise I do try and pull the chair forward and at an angle and the small ottoman to the side to make a more conversational arrangement . The long bench just landed there from the moving truck and turned into a makeshift coffee table - agree needs to go . The adjoining rooms have lighter colors . Some of the pillows on the couch are actually from the other room I was just messing around trying to look at colors etc and pulled the wrong pic . My question for now is more with a rug ... or maybe I should just wait on getting one .. I like the idea of the warm colors but with all the wood and leather I was trying to brighten things up and wasn’t sure if I should go with something lighter like a cream ? I also wasn’t sure size wise if I should keep the rug just too the area in front of the couch or further centered with the fireplace ? Thanks for all of the help z!

• 4bucks
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ooh just re read . You were suggesting moving the chest in the wall behind the couch ! Got it ! I’ll try that !!!

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Yes, to the right of the far window. With the white chair gone, you can pull the sofa up to that door frame. Then take the little metal shelf to the other end and put it on the wall where the light switch is behind the wing chair. Pull the wing chair up by the sofa and angle it. It may partially block that door left of the FP, but I think that is OK. I'm not worried about the rug at this point. The furniture needs to find its best home first.

• hollybar
    4 years ago

First get the furniture arranged. That will determine the exact size range. You don't want to crowd the fireplace, so roughly figure that the minimum width will extend from a couple inches under the sofa front legs (the legs facing the fireplace) to just a few inches past the sofa arm. (the arm under the window) You may end up able to use a rug far less wide than it is long. (sometimes called a gallery rug) Often you can get really good deals on these. (guess how I know ;-)

Consider a rug without a strong center medallion. Like the last few Beth shared above. That will make laying out the rug in a narrow room with several doorways and a fireplace much simpler. I would avoid a solid. Your sectional is solid enough. This is a lovely,lovely space. My inclination would be for a richly toned tribal/oriental that won't let the sectional boss it around. https://www.manhattanrugs.com/ 

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Better if more like ottoman and drape color, but so neutral....?

Nourison Karma Rug, Ash, 7'10"x10'6" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/nourison-karma-rug-ash-710x106-prvw-vr~33067494?lid=18897849

• salonva
    4 years ago

I like that illusions rug everdebz posted. Obviously hard to read the colors. I also like the vintage floral fringe blue, but when I saw it expanded in the room, it looked a bit less dreamy.

• 4bucks
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ughh just accidentally deleted my reply and need to get kids out the door . Love all the ideas thanks so much ! Have some appt today but going to try and change furniture and see if I can get it to work ! Thanks everyone ! I’ll get back with pics ASAP

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

I would get a rug size that lays just beyond the front feet of the couch and past the white chair to include it in the grouping.

Beige Tribal Cartouche Rug

Vida Square Stone Coffee Table

I would also remove the curtain panels and replace them with a linen roman shade instead.

Hope this helps and gorgeous home!

4bucks thanked User
  • 4bucks
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh wow ! I LOVE the tribal rug ! Also thinking curtains need to go ! I tried rearranging furniture as Hollybar and decoenthusiaste suggested . I still have the big white chair as it’s too big for me to move upstairs and wondering if I can make it work . Don’t know why I never thought of moving the sectional in . I think I like it ! What’s everyone else think ?

• 4bucks
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I also tried switching chairs

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

The new arrangement looks great and less cluttered!! I bet it will make tv watching even easier too.

I prefer the second chair arrangement, with the leather chair closest to the couch. I would also consider placing the round side table where the ottoman currently is with a lamp.

4bucks thanked User
  • 4bucks
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I had a 7x 10 rug from Target I bought for another room I’m planning on returning . Decided I’d roll it out just to see about size (it is not under any furniture legs ) any thoughts ?

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

No photo of the rug yet. Looking better in every way though.

4bucks thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 4bucks
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone ! Don’t know why the rug photo won’t download . I also pulled the back drapes off and it really brightens the room and shows off the windows . None of the other rooms have curtains . There are wood blinds in the sunroom/study (adjoining blue room to family room ) the family room has curtains that are non functional (too small to cover windows) and the dining room on the other side of the front hall have nothing . We are new to New England and I’m not use to the empty windows but love the look just feel like a fish bowl at night when kids are watching tv or if I want to run around in my jammies lol !

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

You might like top down/bottom up shades inside mounted so the woodwork still shows.

• 4bucks
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Pic

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

7x10 looks too small to me. I would go the next size up 9x12

4bucks thanked User
  • Cheryl Smith
    4 years ago

The room does look nice now. I would use the chair that is the most comfortable to view tv. I think that size rug is fine.

4bucks thanked Cheryl Smith
  • Cheryl Smith
    4 years ago

Sorry I can't change my last post. I love your home. A larger rug would be better if you find one you like.

4bucks thanked Cheryl Smith
  • 4bucks
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Cheryl and Glo European . My question with a larger rug is... I think you’d then be completely blocking the entrance ways on either side of the fireplace ... does that matter ?

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

If you just want to anchor the sectional, go smaller on the rug. Tape one out on the floor with painter's tape. I like them to slip under the front 1/3 of all the seats and extend past the ends of it by a foot. You want to keep it away from the FP hearth by at least a foot, so tape that out and see how close it is to a standard size. When yo get a new coffee table, you may decide to just go with a "spotlight" rug that sits under the coffee table and draws the focus there. They can be really effective with a glass table and an exciting rug. And they don't have to anchor the sofa, but bring the eye to that area.

4bucks thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

that rug is plenty bit, but please anchor it under the feet of the sofa. no 'floating' rugs.

do you have a coffee table or ottoman?

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

following

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Anything bigger will be too close to the hearth for safety. Anchor the sectional, not the room, and pull it away from the hearth. You have it centered with the FP, but that isn't working with the sectional, IMO. It is definitely too light for what's going on here. It may continue to feel "off" because of the centering issue. Perhaps an irregular rug like a hide would work here.

Larger anchor rug for space

Contemporary Living Room · More Info

Smaller spotlight rug for coffee table.

My Houzz: Parisian Flair in Chicago · More Info

• hollybar
    4 years ago

Much better furniture arrangement. Seating-wise and I far prefer the chest on that wall. Plus I love how it opens up the 2 chair area. Rug size...don't crowd a fireplace. Safety and because it always makes a space feel less expansive. Looks to me that the rug shown is about as narrow a width as you can do but you can go wider. (it will be under sofa) As for length, I would either have a rug that went under the two far chairs by at least a foot or doesn't get near them, ending just past the fireplace. (my preference) Once you decide on that, then you can determine if a 'soft' center medallion will basically line up with the center of your fireplace. umm, that's if you care about having some symmetry in the space ;-)

4bucks thanked hollybar
  • happyleg
    4 years ago

Furniture legs need to be on rug.

• 4bucks
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks everyone. the rug is not for this room. I just laid it out for size reference. It's a 7x10 rug

• hurricanezero
    4 years ago

Lovely room! I added the tribal rub you said you liked. Thoughts anyone?

• 4bucks
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks kjoy1 I like the two rugs. decoenthusiaste i have hide already I tried as you suggested and think the two separate rugs look better. hurricanezero thanks for the visual f the tribal rug. It really helps to get a feel for how it would look. I have lighter colors in the other rooms muted pinks, slate blue, greys, may go for something more neutral so as not to interrupt the flow of those colors.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

• 4bucks
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the visuals @celerygirl and @hurricanezero ! They help a ton ! @decoenthusiaste and @hollybar and kjoy1 I like the idea of the the two rugs to anchor the space . Here is a pic of a cow hide I already had by the two chairs. Question to anchor the couch ... should I go solid or pattern ? And any ideas for a particular rug ? (I’m adding pics of the adjoining rooms so you can see the colors (both rooms also works and progress and future posts