SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rielle_montague

Help with rug & wall color options for my family room

riellebee
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I’d love some help with my open concept family room, which is connected to our kitchen. I’m looking for advice and/or suggestions on the rug selection and paint color.

I just got a new sectional and rug, but I’m having doubts about the rug and am considering getting something different. (I have a short window to return it or I can use it elsewhere in my house.) I don't dislike the rug, but I’m leaning towards something with a less distinct pattern and debating whether to stay light or go darker. I’m planning to get a round or square coffee table in a dark wood finish (espresso or black). We also have a brown leather recliner that will stay in the family room.

Family room with new sectional and rug

Rug Options - here are a few that I like:

Paint: I don’t like the family room wall color (SW Nonchalant White - a subtle green undertone neutral white) with the new seating. I'm also wondering whether I might like the rug I have better with a different wall color. I’m considering a mid-tone greige, warm gray, or staying light with a more neutral white without green undertones. Here are some colors I like so far - SW Mineral Deposit, SW Drift of Mist, SW Aesthetic White.

The new wall color will have to work with several colors in the kitchen/family room space: neutral off-white color kitchen cabinets(Kitchen Craft seashell), white marble-look quartz counters, white & gray marble herringbone tile backsplash, espresso stained wood island cabinet base, and beige stacked stone fireplace surround in the family room.

Picture of kitchen looking towards the fireplace in the family room.

Here's a color palette that I like with the tan representing the floor and the blue for decorative accents like throw pillows.

One last detail, in case it helps - I plan to replace the light fixture with something simpler, but that will probably be the last thing that I do.

Sorry so long.. I'd love any help with the rug and wall color to help pull my family room together!

Comments (14)