SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
indecisive_gardener

Tankless or Hybrid Tankless Water Heater – Discharge Pipe/Drain Requir

It’s time for me to replace my 50 gallon “traditional” tank gas water heater. Normally I would just replace with the same, but in this house the water heater is in an inside hall closet with no ability to discharge/drain water outside (yes, it does meet local building codes). It’s set up with a drain pan and water sensor that will automatically shut of the water supply to the WH when moisture is detected in the pan, but as there is still potential for 50 gallons to end up all over my house from the tank, so I’m thinking of replacing with tankless or hybrid tankless solely for that reason. Does this make sense? I know I’m likely going to have to have electrical run to the utility closet in order have gas tankless installed, but will a tankless or hybrid tankless require a discharge/drain to outside? Is there any condensate that needs to drain, etc?

Any recommendations on brands/specifics are welcome.

House Specifics: Single story 1,800 sqft home on slab foundation in Plano, TX built in 1975. I live alone so my hot water needs aren’t terribly demanding.

Comments (9)