SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Brunch tomorrow, pressure is on, menu revue

l pinkmountain
4 years ago

My dad has wanted to invite some family friends over to my house (which used to be his with my mom) for a while and since our porch is one of the main attractions of the house, I wanted to get something going before it gets too cold. Dad also mentioned wanting to expose them to matzohbrei so I suggested a Jewish themed brunch after church. (Yes you heard that right!) It was going to be a fun and easy thing for me to pull together but now my dad is obsessing over it because that's what he does, he is mentally ill. I'm still cool about it but I want to make sure the food will be appealing to non Jews, since the friends are not Jewish and not familiar with Jewish food. They loved my Hannukah dinner menu which I brought over to dad's house, which included a chicken recipe I got here with a vinegar sauce and latkes, and I think I made banana bundt cake . . . So far so good so I thought I could do this but I dont' know what non Jews necessarily like. Matzohbrei is a favorite food of my family, but when my husband and I were dating and I made it for him as a special breakfast he said it was disgusting and he didn't like it and didn't want me to ever make it again. He also hates migas. I love both.

So here's the menu, what do you think, do you think the non-Jews will have enough that they like if they don't want the matzohbrei and don't care for lox? It's not going to be kosher and there is no need to follow kosher dietary laws.

Matzohbrei

Caramelized onions on the side.

Bagels, cream cheese, nova lox, sliced home grown tomatoes and lettuce, and maybe some capers and sliced cucumbers or my dill pickles might be ready.

Coleslaw (It's already made although I might add some red cabbage to it, it has carrots and green cabbage)

Apple crisp with yogurt for topping (this is already made)

Sliced cantaloupe and honeydew (I have the melon already)

White bean and tuna salad

Turkey sausages

Java brownies

I have a tortellini salad I make with smoked turkey and feta cheese that I could sub for the white bean salad but it seemed kind of overkill to me. My dad won't like the white bean salad but he hates almost everything. I could just do a three bean salad but I really like the white bean one. Is it too "out there?" Another option is to serve a tuna salad . . .

Comments (18)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor