SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Gabapentin for anxiety

Lars
4 years ago

I've been going through increased stress lately, partly due to the news that Cathedral City has put a temporary but indefinitely long ban on short term vacation rentals, or STVR, as they call them. This happened shortly after I invested much of my retirement savings on a house in Cathedral City that I intended to use as VRBO, which is fairly common in the Coachella Valley and especially in Palm Springs (CC adjacent). Palm Springs recently had a vote on whether to allow AirBnB to operate at all in that city, and the ban was voted down there, possibly because people realized that it would lower their property values and the people would spend their money elsewhere, such as Cathedral City. The temporary ban in CC started July 27 (we closed on July 3), and no end date was given. The woman who manages my pool maintenance told me that she thinks the ban will end by the end of the year, but I have heard no official statement about this.

In addition to this, the furniture company that I worked for for 30 years has filed for bankruptcy, and so I can no longer work there part time, and so I do not have that opportunity to supplement my income. My boss (whom I love) has had to sell her house in Beverly Hills (It was worth about $9 million) to pay off some of her creditors, and I have not heard for her for several weeks. She is about 84 years old and had not been well enough to come into the office for over a year. I was already sad that I could not see her, and now I feel even worse that she is having financial problems. I've been frustrated for some time that none of the designs that she and I had been working on for the past couple of years or so never made it to the showrooms. If we had put new designs out, I am sure that sales would have gone up, as this is what happened whenever we did introduce new designs.

My brother and I paid cash for most of the house in CC, but we did have to borrow $100K to make up for the difference in what we were comfortable spending for this house. We only need $30K, but the minimum loan was $100K, and we were planning to use the leftover amount to pay off the loan. At this point, we are going to have to wait to pay off that loan, and so now we have two mortgages. However, our mortgages are low enough that my brother can pay both of them himself, as he makes a very good salary at Sony Entertainment, and they are not likely to file for bankruptcy, I think.

That's the cause for my anxiety, and so I went to a psychiatrist and told him about panic attacks that I've had in the past plus my anxiety regarding finances and the problems I have with disturbing dreams that I have every morning. More about that later. Anyway, he prescribed Gabapentin 300mg to be taken three times a day. I just started taking it yesterday, starting about 3 pm with another at 9 pm. I slept 10+ hours last night and did not seem to have the disturbing dreams (at least that I can remember), and I took another pill today at 8 am, which is when I got up. I normally go to bed at 10 pm and sleep 7½ to 8 hours. Today I feel dizzy and a bit lethargic, and I am afraid to drive.

What are your opinions on this drug as used for anxiety? Here's a recent thread on the subject. I'm taking it for different reasons, however. My psychiatrist also told me to take Alpha-Lipoic Acid with this to help with numbness that I feel at the bottom of my feet near my toes. He said that it would help repair nerve damage.

Comments (40)