Do you remember this product?

matthias_lang

Driving today I saw a billboard that used the number 612. I've already forgotten what that was-- an address maybe. My mind floated back 50 years or more (I am 60) to a bottle kept in my parent's medicine cabinet. It was a yellow bottle of mosquito repellent called 6-12. And I remembered there was a dot rather than a hyphen between the six and twelve. Do you remember this?

SaveComment20Like1
Comments (20)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dee_can1

6-12 could be the ratio of one pesticide to another pesticide?

Save    
mdln

Save    
matthias_lang

Yes, I read it was banned in 1991. Personally now, I use lemon eucalyptus.

Save    
kathyg_in_mi

No, never heard of it and I’m older than you.

Save    
desertsteph

No, never heard of it and I’m older than you.

the same here.

Save    
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I heard of it, sad to say. It was one of an arsenal of repellents we used in the Adirondacks every summer to protect ourselves from those odious black fly gnats. Their bites would leave blood running down our temples, hairlines, and behind our ears.

Save    
OutsidePlaying

I remember it but I don’t recall using it. I’m sure perhaps we did or my parents did if it was on hand. I just don’t remember being bitten by mosquitoes like I am now and we played outside all the time, went in the woods, etc. The worst was stepping on a bee in the clover and being stung on the foot.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

No that particular one I don't remember.

Save    
Rusty

Yes, I remember it. But before that, way back when, when I was a kid, we used Oil of Citronella.

Rusty

Save    
salonva

Yes, I totally remember that. Not sure about the packaging, somehow that doesn't quite look familiar. I wonder if it also came in a tube. Anyway I do remember it and used it. I hated the smell. It worked decently if I recall .

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Yes I remember it well...ours was in a small tin sort of like a stick deodorant....

Save    
nickel_kg

I remember "Off" but not "6.12"

Save    
chisue

That's not in my memory bank.

I wonder what chemical fog was sprayed from trucks throughout my Chicago suburb during the summers when I was a kid. People were warned to go inside, but all the same, we must have inhaled a ton of that stuff. It was managed by something like "The (XYZ) Mosquito Abatement District".

Save    
Alisande

I thought no, but when I saw the photo I changed that to YES. Sorry to read about the nasty chemical, as I'm sure we used a lot of it during our summers on Long Island. We lucked out, but it sounds as though many did not.

Save    
greenshoekitty

did not use, but I remember it.

Save    
blubird

I remember it well....seems that I recall it was oily when you were rubbing it on your skin.

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Only vaguely -- I am hearing an ad announcer saying "Six twelve!" in my mind. That could just be my imagination, I guess.

Save    
Lars

I vaguely remember it, but I don't really remember using it, but I may have. We had a swamp near our house, and so there were plenty of mosquitoes. I remember my mother leaving all the spider webs up so that they could catch some mosquitoes. I also remember staying inside on summer nights to avoid the mosquitoes. I remember "Off" much better, and I think that is what I generally used. Later I switched to "Cutter".

Save    
matthias_lang

Funny, I do not remember using the product either. I only picture it in the medicine cabinet. I think we just accepted that mosquito bites were part of living. When I went to scout camp and saw some of the other kids had Off spray-on repellent, I think I appreciated the possibilities of a repellent. But chiggers were worse than mosquitos there. In fact, mosquitos seemed way worse back at home, too. I guess because chigger bites were itchier and lasted so darned long.

Save    
joyfulguy

I remember the 6 - 12 being in the house, don't remember the label, or particulars of using it.

ole joyful

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life 10 Things to Remember During Your New Year’s Clutter Purge
Fast-track the process and ease the stress by making a plan before you start decluttering
Full Story
Features The Good House: An Experience to Remember
A home that enriches us is more than something we own. It invites meaningful experiences and connections
Full Story
Organizing 10 Things to Remember to Declutter After Shopping
Let go of the old when you bring in the new. Here’s what to do with gently used decor, exercise gear, clothing and more
Full Story