SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wlaguilar

1942 kitchen floor help requested

Dory
4 years ago

Our house was built in 1942, Central California, with a crawlspace and a 250 sq ft basement. It’s a solid house, and we’ve been having work done, to prep it for retirement. So far, we’ve had solar, a new HVAC, new wiring, new attic insulation (Rockwool), new plumbing (pex-a with a copper manifold, as the house had almost no shutoffs but the main one).

Now, we’re at the next step:

Kitchen counters (Silestone, “Charcoal Soapstone") while the original. VERY solid, cabinets remain. We might have enough soapstone for all of the backsplashes, too. Blanco Meridian faucet.

Small bathroom shower demo-ed. It was horrible and ALL of it has been opened to the studs and retiled (4” x 10” Emser “Logic” matte white). The floor is getting hexagon tile (2” Jeffrey Court “Whisper Valley” from Home Depot with Schluter Rondec trim). Crosswater “Darby” fixtures: single lever sink; handheld shower with a pressure-balance valve. Kohler “Veer” pedestal sink and the toilet from the other bathroom (husband likes it).

Larger bathroom will have the tub removed, anything else that might be damaged, but the original cabinet is staying. It will get the same Silestone counter, similar “Darby” fixtures, but double lever, and the shower will have both overhead and handheld with a thermo-valve/diverter. Same wall/floor tiles. New toilet, Kohler “Corbelle” and new sink, Kohler “Verticyl.”

We’re trying to keep in the spirit of the house, but updated. Which leaves the kitchen floor. It currently has glued-down linoleum tiles. Hideous things that, requiring waxing/sealing.

Now that you all have a picture of what we’re going for, I need help with my kitchen floor selection. It is continuous from the backdoor through the very tiny laundry room (stacked washer/dryer and a shelf), through the kitchen, then turning right, into the breakfast room.

The stringboard subfloor is in good condition. We were thinking of luxury vinyl tile. Not wood-look, because the dining room and living room have beautiful, original, plain oak. In gray-to-white. What manufacturer’s and lines would be good, for almost-no-care floors that would fit the style of the house? Forbo Marmoleum? Shaw Floorte Pro? Mannington Adura? Something else?

I have no idea why the photos are turned sideways; they're not on my computer. But it shows the floor, to the right in both.

The cabinets will be painted a light gray. You can see the beautiful counters and new sink.

We’re having glass doors, to open up this tiny bathroom. There were 2 layers of tile, 3”+ of concrete in the shower floor, and a lead shower pan. All gone.

Comments (47)