SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisytn

Requesting kitchen layout help. :)

DaisyTN
10 years ago

About us:
We are a family of 7. The children are 11, 8, 6, 2 and 1.
I cook 3 meals a day, 90% of the time. Cooking is a passion of mine and I spend a lot of time in my kitchen. There is often a child in the kitchen with me observing.

About our house:
It's a 1969 split level house with an open foyer. The kitchen is enclosed with a doorway going out into the beginning of the hallway and and the other doorway leads into the dining room. We eat all of our meals at the dining room table.

Our budge constraints:
I would like to keep the sink in it's current location. I'm interested in having half of the wall (from floor to ceiling) in between the kitchen and dining room removed to allow for more space if it can provide a better layout. Other than that, all ideas are greatly welcomed. I'd like to see what everyone thinks about keeping the wall and working with it vs getting rid of it.

Problems:
The chief complaint is my fridge is stuck in the corner. The doors cannot be opened fully to access the inside. It's right next to the dishwasher. I would love to get it out of that corner somehow or find a better option for a fridge. I can't imagine a smaller fridge as there are seven of us and I cook from scratch most of the time.Thoughts?

The other complaint is that the kitchen feels cramped. Ideally, I'd like to remove part of the wall as shown in my drawing. The other section of wall contains duct work.
Here are pictures of the kitchen and dining room and my drawing of the current layout (clearly art is not my strong point ;). Any advice is greatly appreciated. We are likely going to live in this home for quite some time and I would like for it to better serve our needs.

Clicking the photos should make them larger.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals