SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Meals after hysterectomy?

rob333 (zone 7b)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I am solo, and happy to have been solo for many, many years! ;) .

While my far younger sister will help me get to and from surgery, lives close by, and can help me if I have problems...

.Meals are eluding me. I plan to clean the house from top to bottom. I'm doing it laparoscopically, so only like couple weeks? Maybe three?

.I'm thinking of making soups, freezing them, and pulling out what I want. Snacks, cheese, fruit, nuts. Great

.I imagine that week number three I'll be wondering what was I thinking? If you've been there, what do you suggest?

Comments (59)

• Kathsgrdn
    4 years ago

Sending good thoughts your way.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yeah I'm torn between lose the weight I gained when the boy was here (May-August, 15 poundsl. Maybe we're enablers for each other ;) totally enablers), and reality. I need to eat, but sometimes it might go beyond. Maybe.

• Related Discussions

Seeding after using corn gluten meal

Q

Comments (7)
    I may have already posted this casual observation here. I bought some 'wild bird feed with corn gluten' and I tossed a handfull and raked it in a bit and watered and got at least six different varieties of plants growing from wild bird seed; mustard, two different sorts of sunflowers, two or more different grasses and something as yet unidentified. There was no discussion on the label as to why the wild bird feed contained corn gluten. Perhaps it was for the birds.
    ...See More

Organic fertilizer after Corn Gluten meal?

Q

Comments (2)
    the nitrogen in corn meal is not immediately available, it will be released gradually as the microbes break the product down. so i don't think it will harm your grass. depending on how much u used, you may not need to add anymore organic ferts come 2 weeks from now.
    ...See More

Don't You Just Love Pie & Coffee? Friday after meals

Q

Comments (30)
    My mother ruined me for pie. She was a pie maker whose crust was light, flakey and the best I have ever tasted. On cold, weekend mornings, it was common to wake up to as many as six pies. The smell of pies baking in the oven says home to me. We couldn't wait for them to cool so we could have pie for breakfast. She raised the fruit, berries, etc. and froze them in her freezer. She didn't use a recipe and never made less than six at a time so I didn't master her crust recipe. I have quit having pie since she died. I have just given up on it. Once, Derek asked Grandma for an apple pie. She asked, "Where am I going to find apples this time of year?" I responded, "The grocery store, Mom. You can buy apples year round now." How I miss my Mother's pies.
    ...See More

Lose taste/flavors after hysterectomy ?

Q

Comments (0)
    I had a total hysterectomy a week ago, I'm 65 so haven't needed things for a whle . Not lifting things , walking , taking things slow. But what bugs me is nothing has much flavor or seems to lose flavor after a couple bites or sips. I don't have much of an appetite , I'm not eating as much as prior surgery , though the lost of some pounds is a good thing. Has anyone else had this happen ? Food or drink without flavor isn't appealing . It does go away , doesn't it ?
    ...See More
  • yeonassky
    4 years ago

Best wishes for a smooth surgery and a speedy recovery.

I suggest you cook up your favourites and worried about the weight afterwards. :-).

That said walking really helps me as soon as I actually can. It's my comfort exercise. Take it slow there's no rush!

• nickel_kg
    4 years ago

Haven't been there myself, but I've got sisters, and I know I'd gladly drop anything anytime they needed me. So plan and prepare your food (and entertainment: books, music, ??) in advance but don't hesitate to let your sister help you. Best wishes for an easy time of it!

• nicole___
    4 years ago

No advice....just want you to know I'm thinking about you...wishing you a speedy recovery!

• Lindsey_CA
    4 years ago

Mine was laparoscopic/vaginal but I had to spend 5 nights in the hospital because I was running an elevated temp. Although the recovery is fairly easy and fairly quick, I did find that I would get tired out very easily. So don't overdo it. Just because you're feeling super great after a couple of days, don't throw caution to the wind. Take it easy.

• katlan
    4 years ago

I agree with comfort foods. Meatloaf, yum. Big pot of potato soup that you can eat for days. Honestly, I could live on cereal and toast lol.

All good prayers for a successful and uneventful procedure and speedy, complete recovery.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm totally leaning towards comfort food. Maybe not a good idea, but maybe smaller portions could work. Hmm

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

Speedy recovery. Update menus for restaurants that deliver.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I totally have Door Dash. That sounds great too. A plan is emerging

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm showing my Cali-girl side. Like totally!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    4 years ago

I wanted to eat light during my recovery......small fruit and yogurt bowls, simple soups including egg drop and vegetable.

• norar_il
    4 years ago

Looks to me as if you have the food question pretty well answered, Rob. You might also want to have some sweet stuff handy -- you never know when a craving might hit you.

I'd like to give a bit of advice you haven't asked for, if I may. Big underwear. I had my hysterectomy abdominally, so you may not have the same swelling I had, but I had to send my daughter and niece out shopping for big underwear. Full coverage and a size or two up from your regular. Just saying . . .

Other than that, take it easy on yourself. Surgery is surgery and you well know it can take the P&V right out of you. I wish you an easy time and comfortable recovery.

• sjerin
    4 years ago

You make me smile, Rob. I wish you well during your surgery and a quick and easy recovery. Something tells me your sister is going to have her work cut out for her in trying to keep you down when you're feeling better.

• PRO
    MDLN
    4 years ago

Good protein intake for healing.

• OklaMoni
    4 years ago

Best wishes that all goes swell.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

Good luck and quick and easy recovery!

• patriciae_gw
    4 years ago

Eat light, your intestine will thank you and laparoscopic fills you with air which is apparently no fun at first. Soup, snacks, fruit that sort of thing. Mine was more major big time but I know you need to take care of your self and follow the doctors directions. Even done Laparoscopically they cut a lot of internal supports that have to heal and being careful makes that go better and get plenty of gentle exercise when you can as that prevents adhesions. No heavy lifting at first. I am sorry you are having to go through this but as I told some one who asked me how I felt about losing my Uterus at what was a comparatively young age, I said "We were not friends"

• Fun2BHere
    4 years ago

Best wishes for a quick and uncomplicated surgery and recovery. Make sure to eat enough fiber and drink lots of water so you don't have to strain for elimination. Adding a stool softener to your daily routine might be helpful, too. Mine wasn't laparoscopic so I didn't have the same experience that you will.

• blfenton
    4 years ago

I wish you a speedy recovery and an easy time of it. Between meals - things to read, crossword puzzles, if you have netflex maybe some shows you've wanted to see.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    4 years ago

What mdln said.

This isn't the time to be thinking of numbers on a scale. My SIL had that surgery in February ( not done laparoscopic) and her surgeon had her eating high protein for best healing for the first 6 weeks. He insisted on it.

Best of luck to you and ((((hugs)))). You'll get instructions when you are leaving if you don't call for them ahead of time....please just follow those.

• jemdandy
    4 years ago

My only advice is to stay away from foods that cause constipation; Everything else is on the menu. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

I think previous posters have given you great advice so I will wish you a successful surgery and a speedy and full recovery.

• schoolhouse_gwagain
    4 years ago

Also wishing you a comfortable post surgery and quick healing.

I'm in the same boat. If I would have surgery, I worry about the same problems plus taking care of the cats i.e. making sure they're in the cellar at night (no indoor access to cellar), fed, litter pans cleaned, etc.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

Wishing you well on your upcoming surgery and speedy healing.

(Shouldn't it be called a *her*sterectomy?!?)

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

All the best to you for a speedy recovery and healing.

Soups are a great idea. I would make sure the first week is easy to digest foods primarily. Of course protein and fresh fruit and veggies you like and that are easy to prepare. A baked potato with toppings or baked sweet potato is always on my list.

• graywings123
    4 years ago

It looks like you have gotten great advice above. Sending good thoughts your way.

And, have you checked out the Hyster Sisters site: Hyster Sisters

Lots of good info there.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for all of your kind well wishes; I take them to heart.

All of this is great information. I really appreciate it. When I diet what I tend to do is a (as in one meal, typically dinner) high protein, low sugar replacement and skip the carbs all the time, while keeping the entire day's calories within bounds. It's not anything unhealthy. I already love veggies and fruits. Soups help keep the calorie count within parameters and I like them. I might have a cheat day in there with the comfort foods.

Off to read Hyster Sisters!

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    4 years ago

I recently had robotic hysterectomy and recovery was easy. as mentioned by others, I did tire easily and took naps. The hospital gave me a suggested food list to follow for the first few days, You may be given one too. And for sure, stock up on stool softener. Good luck!

• Judy Good
    4 years ago

Also remember Pain medications can be constipating and can have affect on your appetite.

• georgysmom2
    4 years ago

I always think of meatloaf as a comfort food....might not be able to eat it for several weeks but it would be nice to have in freezer. I have no experience with diet and hysterectomies, but I know there are certain foods you cannot eat. Soups that have been put through the blender (or immersion blender may be best. Cooking now and freezing may help to keep the mind occupied....a good thing. Wishing you the very best for a quick and speedy recovery!

• Ava
    4 years ago

Wishing you a successful surgery and a quick recovery.

• roxanna7
    4 years ago

No experience with hysterectomy, but regarding bowel elimination/avoiding straining -- I recommend the Squatty Potty toilet stool. It really helps.

All good wishes for you.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    4 years ago

georgysmom, I can't think of a single reason why anyone would need to put their food through a blender in the recovery period after a hysterectomy. Nor can I think of any reason why any kind of food would be prohibited.

• joann_fl
    4 years ago

I have id done in 2011, I was up that day walking around, did some shopping and anything I needed to do. My DIL could hardly keep up with me. I don't think you will have a problem with getting food. relax.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

yeah I keep telling my boss that I don't think it'll be four weeks, or even three. I do not see me being out more than 2 weeks. We'll see. I appreciate you saying that JoAnn. I saw my sister. Young. Really young. She struggled with abdominal. I'm glad I don't (probably. It could still happen mid-procedure) have to go that route. My heart goes out to those folks.

• tami_ohio
    4 years ago

Sending good thoughts

• chisue
    4 years ago

Oh-oh. Stop this talk about cutting recovery time. You need to rest and heal even if you can't SEE the disruption to your abdomen. You can do yourself some serious damage by NOT 'lying around doing nothing' long enough. Only very gentle exercise. Deep breaths as you can manage them.

I had the equivalent abdominal surgery (an ooectomy) when I was early 20's -- stupid GYN called it 'the bikini cut'. (He also let me come out of anesthesia without any pain meds -- OMG!!! Curse the man!)

rob333 (zone 7b) thanked chisue
  • cooper8828
    4 years ago

chisue,

My gyn also called it a bikini cut. I said "Thank God. I thought it would be a horizontal abdominal incision." We both fell over laughing!

• tami_ohio
    4 years ago

You shouldn't have any dietary restrictions, except maybe to avoid gassy foods. Laproscopically or bikini cut.

rob333 (zone 7b) thanked tami_ohio
  • patriciae_gw
    4 years ago

I agree with the above. When you have this kind of surgery you don't see what was cut. Your Uterus is connected to all sorts of internal supports and your bladder is one very important thing connected to you uterus by connective tissue. You really want your bladder and lower colon to properly heal from having supportive tissue cut and tacked elsewhere. Gentile exercise is key. No lifting, easing into stuff even if you don't feel the need. The more careful you are the more likely you will have a long term positive recovery. I got a lot of good advice after a rather sudden surgery and a nurse who was a friend was adamant. Take it easy even if you don't feel the need. Long term it will make a difference.

rob333 (zone 7b) thanked patriciae_gw
  • Anne
    4 years ago

Don't overdo it...I did and extended my recovery. Soup and other frozen meals you can heat up are a good idea. Hopefully you can have a friend or family member stop by at least once a day. My best wishes.

rob333 (zone 7b) thanked Anne
  • PRO
    MDLN
    4 years ago

@ chisue, re: "(He also let me come out of anesthesia without any pain meds -- OMG!!! Curse the man!)" Blame the anesthesiologist, who is responsible for pain meds during & immediately after the procedure (not the OB/gyne).

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I appreciate all y'all!

Trust me. I going to take it really easy. My office work is a desk job and I am exempt. So even when I go back, I'm betting it'll be a few hours a day, not very long at all (10AM-1PM).

• cat_mom
    4 years ago

Not sure if you’ll be getting general anesthesia (vs twilight sedation). If so, it might take a a few days (a week?) to completely leave your system, and you could feel sleepier, and perhaps even a bit loopy. So be sure to rest and take it easy as much for that as for the internal healing.

• nicole___
    4 years ago

I'm just checking in. What day's the surgery?

rob333 (zone 7b) thanked nicole___
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Second week of October, thanks for asking!

• chisue
    4 years ago

mdln -- I was not in Recovery, but in my hospital room, with the GYN sitting bedside. Why, do you suppose? He left to obtain pain meds *after I woke in agony*.

He had removed my left ovary in pursuit of what turned out to be *a chocolate cyst*. He also damaged my right ovary. I was effectively sterile at 27 -- yet he insisted for two more years that I could get pregnant. A better doctor found my scarred right Fallopian. In vitro wasn't an option then.

I learned to beware the MD who relishes the opportunity to operate.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

(((chisue))) I hear you.

My first of this issues was at 26 and it was a failed pregnancy (I think this is where my snowball began). I had many miscarriages, dysplasia, etc. and I have my one miracle baby. He shouldn't be here. I am lucky to be here. They say life goes on, but that doesn't mean we aren't affected.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

I'm not sure if you were just asking for suggestions about easy meals, or concerned about what you should eat when. About the latter -- the gut will "goes to sleep" with anesthesia, and is even more inhibited by messing around in the abdomen; so you will need to be aware of that - in hospital, after an abdominal surgery, we wait until we hear the bowels gurgling normally again, and gas is being passed, before we advance the diet. Then we go slow until we are sure it is being tolerated (no nausea or vomiting).

And take it easy with the ice chips right after. I have seen so many patients develop problems with nausea and gas pains, from shoveling in too many ice chips! Many people swallow air when they suck on and chew ice, and the body can't handle it just then.

If this isn't what you wanted, hopefully it will help someone in the future.