SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bac717gw

I need to make the dreaded floor stain decision! Help!

bac717
4 years ago

We are having our red oak floors refinished from what we chose 20 years ago (natural, no stain, just the finishing coats) to something darker, but not too dark. The floors are in the entry, living room, dining room, hall to the bedrooms and the kitchen. The challenge is working with the kitchen cabinets. They are maple and look orange. We have tossed around the idea of having them painted white, but they really are in excellent condition and are only 15 years old. We do not have any samples on the raw wood yet, so all I can show you right now are the swatches from Duraseal I am considering. I know this is not the best picture, but it's all I have right now. From the left, Spice Brown; Special Walnut; Provincial; Nutmeg; Chestnut. Can you help me figure out if I'm heading in the right direction? Do any of these look like good candidates? I don't want to go too dark, but I know I need some contrast between the floors and the cabinets.

If anyone recognizes the picture of the kitchen from a previous post from a few days ago, this is the kitchen where we are planning to increase the clearance between the island and the perimeter cabinets and downsize the kitchen table to something to seat two or three.

Also, we are seriously considering changing the counter tops to something lighter.

Thank you!!!

Comments (52)