SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sonny300

Huge decision to make-need help..

sonny300
16 years ago

We have a four level split, with a wood insert in the bottom level, and a propane insert on the third level, and an old oil-fired boiler for our hot water central heat.

This summer I am going to install 2 floor grates above the wood insert to bring heat to the LVR-Dning room and kitchen.There is a ceiling fan on the second level, and a ceiling fan on the third level to move air around.

In past winters when the power goes out, the inserts will only maintain a temp or 17C or about 55F. So I need to replace the old boiler. With only 100 amp service it would be really costly to go with a elec boiler or a heat pump. so am thinking of a energy star high efficient new oil-fired boiler. Last year I burned 1000 litres of oil or about 225 gallons.

New oil boiler installed $3500, electric boiler with upgrade to service-$7700, heat pump air-to-air $10500.

At my age (62) I have to look at capital cost recovery for the not so long term-lol

I`m hoping that the floor grates will make a huge difference and therefore am leaning to the more affordable option of just replacing the old boiler with another that uses oil. The central heat is a must to fend away mold, and dampness. What are your thoughts and oponions.??

Another problem with upgrading the electrical is how to get it down to the boiler-laundry room, would have to cut thru floor joists and drywall etc. seems kinda messy and probably more expensive than the guessimates I have received. I guess I am really asking some of you out there is "what would you do"? Thank you.

George

Comments (2)