SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laceyvail

Are there some writers you are REALLY interested in?

laceyvail 6A, WV
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I'm wondering if anyone else loves some authors so much that you want to know about their lives. There are 2 for me, possibly 3.

The first is E.B. White. As a child I read his children's books, then his essays, letters, a biography, and eventually included in my interest his wife, Katherine White; his colleagues at The New Yorker magazine--Harold Ross, Thurber, etc-- and the history of The New Yorker itself. I've been a fan of the magazine for almost 70 years; my mother got it and I fell in love with the cartoons long before I started reading it. It's still the best writing in America. And I think White is possibly the best essayist ever.

The second is J.R.R. Tolkien. I've read The Lord of the Rings many times and The Silmarillion twice, though I've not read much of Tolkien's huge legendarium, organized and published by his son, Christopher, who worked for years to make sense and order of his father's papers. I've also read Tolkien's famous essay on Faerie and his equally famous essay on Beowulf , which transformed how scholars viewed that poem. I've read biographies of him, several works about his works, and several books on the Inklings, the group of writers that met regularly for years and read and critiqued one another works. C.S. Lewis was also a member. Presently I'm enjoying a podcast on Tolkien--ThePrancingPony.com. The two podcasters, Tolkien lovers of course, who record it weekly are knowledgeable and insightful (though I find their digressions sometimes a little silly) and they have also interviewed a number of Tolkien scholars.

The third, though certainly less so, is Patrick Leigh Fermor, writer extraordinaire and WW II hero. I've read all his books, and one biography.

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone