SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanjeanremodelmachine

Parallam beams--wrap them, or seal them with polyurethane?

Mittens Cat
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Apologies for urgency, but need input asap on this one.

We have a Douglas Fir centerbeam running through our main living space that we plan to leave exposed. There are two other beams, Parallam beams, running parallel to the Doug Fir beam, about 15-20 feet away. Originally, we planned to have the Parallams wrapped and painted to blend in with the ceiling. But over the past several months, we have come to appreciate their weird, splintery look and now think maybe we should just let them be (with a few coats of polyurethane or whatever).

Tomorrow the drywall crew is coming and they need to know asap whether we want those two beams wrapped or not. For some reason we didn't think they'd be the ones who would wrap them (I thought it was a painting job at the end). So we figured I'd have more time to decide. Are we being ridiculous thinking of leaving the Parallams as is? I realize most Parallam finishing (when used as stairs or furniture) involves a ton of labor (sanding, filling, staining, finishing...) and we probably don't want to cough up that much labor cost.

Thoughts on going au natural here? Sorry photos aren't posting so I'll try to post them below.

Oh, and we are aiming (loosely) for a Midcentury Modern/contemporary style. Hardwood floors below will be a golden honey color. The open kitchen nearby will be walnut + white. Thanks!

Comments (24)