SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charleneryanday

100+ year old floors - should we polyurethane?

charleneryanday
6 years ago

Our house was built in 1908 - it’s changed a lot over the years. My husband bought the house when he was 23 in 1985 - the house was about to fall down but he came in and Renovated it on a tiny budget - we’ve updated a lot in the past 20ish years but we have never touched most of the 2nd floor floors - they are probably pine - they have gaps between many of the boards where dust loves to hide. We mistakenly had someone refinished our fur floors on the first floor and they filled the gaps with god knows what after I specifically asked them not to fill the gaps - there are only a few gaps there.

We did paint the master bedroom floors 10 or so years ago but i find the floors (both painted rooms and unpainted) so hard to keep clean/dust free.we like the character since there isn’t much of the old stuff left.

Looking for ideas on what we can do without spending a fortune and hopefully keeping the character of the wood floors.

I am open to painting them but how do I seal them well enough so I can wash them regularly and keep them clean?

Comments (7)