SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bkawg

Should we lighten 153-year old wood walls?

B G
last year
last modified: last year

Hello Everyone! My husband and I absolutely love the 153-year old farmhouse that we just purchased. The large foyer and parlor feature custom pine carvings throughout the walls and ceilings. The work is absolutely gorgeous. It's also very dark. I've been considering options to lighten up the spaces, but additional lamps or light-colored rugs just don't seem to be enough. Should we consider white-washing or bleaching this beautiful wood?

Comments (32)

• kandrewspa
    last year

Can you show us some pictures?

• Lyn Nielson
    last year

No, just refinish the wood.

Whitewashing is not an appropriate treatment for that age millwork.

B G thanked Lyn Nielson
  • Related Discussions

should we ditch our 20 year old tile?

Q

Comments (7)
    I would either get a pencil trim to match the marble-like tile or the glass. I think the Schluter trim would look too modern. The problem with this solution is the cost. That trim, needing a line before and after the mosaic tile, could cost more than the mosaic tile and porcelain tile combined. How does the cost of Schluter edge compare? I wonder what ideas Joseph Corlett, LLC had, he forgot to come back and tell you. In my kitchen remodel in 2003, my contractor used a 1/4" trim piece stained to match my cupboards to top my backsplash, and that looked great because we had both base and upper cabinets. Here, you don't have that to tie into the design, so I am not sure it would work. Along those lines, though, you could paint the window trim to match the bath cab and use a small 1/4" trim piece painted to match to finish off the top edge. The color goes very well with the mosaic tile. Painting the window trim also makes adding that small piece of wood trim under the window easy.
    ...See More

50 year old wood cabinets paint or stripped and stained?

Q

Comments (112)
    Teresa, I never post here. Rudeness seems to be the M.O. I was raised way better. i did a refresh on my very small galley kitchen. Repainted the cabinets, new hardware, ended up replacing the floor (big leak and mold) in that awful trendy grey wood look tile, and non stone (I used a lighter shade of wood look tile) counters. New appliances (cheap and black). No backsplash (what are those actually for anyway) other than the counter material going up about three inches. All together way less than $10,000. And my "art" comes from generic places too lol. DIYer is so not me. I am good at using my phone. I have an EXCELLENT handyman. Through Home Advisor. I also have used Handy for putting furniture together. i also lived in a very dysfunctional kitchen before my divorce. Raised seven children and entertained for all twenty five years. Parties of well over one hundred. In a very ordinary 1800 sq ft home. I miss every bit of that. I am glad you went ahead with YOUR plan. I hope to see photos soon!
    ...See More

Do we paint over four year old paint?

Q

Comments (27)
    Just go to the paint store and pick up a gallon of paint, a tarp, a brush, a roller and a tray. Watch a couple of YouTube videos if you've never painted. Although some here say it will be done in a day, don't count on it. You'll almost certainly need two coats, regardless of what the advertisements say, and the prep work, taping and hand work takes quite awhile. Assuming you won't have to paint the ceiling or trim, allow for two days including final clean-up and putting the room back together. If the whole darn room is aqua, give it another day. Unless you love to paint, I'm a big advocate of painting kid's rooms a neutral color and letting them have input on bedding and decorations. The only time I failed to follow my own advice was a purple disaster that I shudder to recall.
    ...See More

100 year old old Carnegie library house to retail

Q

Comments (4)
    Sorry with typos. The old library is going from a house to a retail business. Any thoughts are so very appreciated as we try and keep the historic character but need to display retail. ❤️🤠❤️
    ...See More
  • B G
    Original Author
    last year

• B G
    Original Author
    last year

It's important to mention that the wood is unfinished. The color that you see is of the natural pine.

• zealart
    last year

I think posting a photo with the lighter rugs and light would help. The current photo has dark rugs, and no extra lights. Large light artwork would help. Table lamps or installing wall sconces. I think the room can be appreciated with being cozy. The wood is beautiful.

Also there is a lot of heavy furniture. Maybe have a light, wih pattern or texture seat on one side.

B G thanked zealart
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

The wood might not have a finish but it has soiled and oxidized over time.

You either place light objects in the room to lighten the appearance

Soda Blast the wood with walnut shells or some other type of low abrasive to get to the new surface of the old wood.

Here's a before and after the blasting of the wood.

B G thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

Oh my goodness, that woodwork is gorgeous! I wouldn't bleach or whitewash it. As Bev stated, change what's in the space. It looks very formal and dark right now. You say the wood is pine, you could furnish it with light pine pieces and seagrass rugs. You could also get a more casual chandelier to replace the heavy crystal one. And yes, light framed and matted prints or photos would lighten it up.

The photo of the sandblasted room is beautiful, but I wonder how disruptive and expensive that could be?

B G thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

that is pretty.

I agree about lighting, bring in light color rugs, get rid of the heavy, dark furniture and bring in lighter options. Light framed artwork. take away the heavy, ornate gilded frames and dark prints.

replace the door w/something lighter, and w/glass to bring in some natural light

But it is a lot of wood.

If you did want to paint it , you could do just the walls, OR, get some cheap pine shiplap that you prime and paint, preserving the natural wood beneath it

this way you can have both

You could also hang up drywall over the old wood. again, preserving what's beneath it.

there's no reason to live like it's still 1875! or whatever year it was built.

B G thanked Beth H. :
  • B G
    Original Author
    last year

All of the suggestions everyone is giving are fabulous! I'm going to look for a few large seagrass rugs (the hallway is 10 feet across. Huge.), look into replacing the door to something with beveled glass, bring in lighter pieces and definitely consider sandblasting or sanding of some type.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

"Should we consider white-washing or bleaching this beautiful wood?"

Absolutely not. It's made it 153 years, let's hope it make 153 more.

• PRO
    last year

I'd love to see the rest of the house!

• B G
    Original Author
    last year

Another carved room. Again, these are the furnishings of the previous owner.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

yeah, that's a little too dark and dreary for my tastes. but if you like it, have at it!

you could get the floors refinished.

and, people may gasp, but you could paint the wood and still have the beautiful detail (which would prob show up a bit better). Coat the wood w/a shellac first if you do paint. it will seal in the tanins and make it easier to strip if someone wants the wood back 100 years from now.

• B G
    Original Author
    last year

I've been looking for ways to refinish/finish that actually lightens dark unfinished wood. I haven’t found any products that aren't bleach-based.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

it's like hair. you really can't lighten it w/o bleach.

but, pine is naturally lighter. you could try a complete sanding job to take it back to raw wood. 153 years of smoke, dirt and oxidation has darkened it quite a bit.

take an inconspicuous spot and try sanding off othe finish w/a 60-100 grit orbital. see what's underneath the grime.

That's why I said you could refinish the floor. the walls/ceiling however? huge undertaking

B G thanked Beth H. :
  • B G
    Original Author
    last year

Absolutely. I considered the cost and time that both of these rooms would demand, but I believe they would be so beautiful afterwards. I'll run a patch test in a hidden spot and see how the wood takes to a light sanding. Hopefully this will present a nice before and after. If not, I'll have to embrace the aged darkdark wood ood and work around it.

• partim
    last year

Both photos show just one hanging light fixture. A single light source gives you dark corners and unpleasant harsh shadows. Add multiple fixtures/lamps that will wash the walls and dark corners with light. Plug in wall sconces require no new wiring. Choose lamp shades that are white and translucent, and with lamp shade shapes that throw light both up and down. The rooms you've shown us have lamps that look a little small for the size and scale of the room. And you need many more. Overhead fan fixtures are notorious for providing poor lighting since no light reflects off the ceiling.

In rooms with windows, draperies should leave all the window glass uncovered during the day. Move bulky furniture away from windows so light can enter the room. And as you've already been advised, choose lighter coloured furniture, rugs and art work.

You may find that this is enough and you don't need to touch the walls, which are lovely.

B G thanked partim
  • Fori
    last year

The wood is likely covered with aged shellac and if you redo that, it'll be lighter without harming anything except maybe your brain cells. That will be a good time to figure out how to get those windows open.

Try cleaning a concealed spot with denatured alcohol and brass wool and see what happens.

B G thanked Fori
  • Kendrah
    last year

Hang large artwork on the walls with direct picture lights on each piece. This will lighten up the wall space without changing the character of the wood walls themselves. If the artwork itself is light in color this will help too.

Finish the wood with a reflective gloss that will bounce light around. The current wood just absorbs all of the light instead of reflecting it.

Use reflective surfaces. Will you use the fireplace? If not, remove the dark iron screen. If so, perhaps you can use a brass screen that reflects the light. I'd get reflective metal light fixtures to help bounce the light around too. Stragetically placed mirrors can help if they reflect light from light fixtures and other light objects in the room.

Minimalism will help in this space. Crowded and dark makes the space feel darker and heavier. Keep the furniture lower, no tall cabinets.

I don't know if you can tolerate the care of a white upholstery or a shag rug throw rug, but they'd look gorgeous in contrast to the dark walls in the parlor.

What part of the country do you live in? I'm so curious about the history of this home. It is stunning. I hope you are able to embrace these rooms as they are and live with some decorative revamps for a while before taking any drastic wood altering measures.

In these pics notice the tables, picture frames, andirons, table lamps are brass and reflect light. The large urns on the mantle are silver and reflect light. The large canvass above the fireplace creates a huge swatch of cream wall color. Even the leather furniture reflects light.

B G thanked Kendrah
  • arcy_gw
    last year

This is crazy dark for pine. If it's truly unfinished I am not seeing why a light sanding wouldn't bring you back to it's youth. The grime and age will fly away in the dust. Not sure at that point if leaving it with no poly is the best course of action.

B G thanked arcy_gw
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I think try a light sanding in a spot not obvious. I do not like pine but in that house I think what you really need is much more lighting and even though LEDs are not of course from that era we are used to a lot more light I would try LEDs 4000K in the entry chandelier and just see what you think. You could go 3500K but anything lower will just magnify the yellow from the wood. If the sanding makes it lighter then be very careful to make sue if you put a finish on it it does not yellow .

B G thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Well. the first thing you ask of yourself is one; Are you a moth to a flame? Do a test. It depends what you're after, and what you're willing to endure to get it. Because there is pine.....and there is pine: )

As to darkness, warmth etc ? The answer to that is always d.e.c.o.r.a.t.i.o.n. Whether you emphasize/embrace the deep and moody, or put enough lightening contrast in with furnishings. In and of itself, "dark" is not a curse word: )

This? Very different, but neither is dreary

You're after this?Who wouldn't be?

This below? Maybe not .

No matter what, it's a combination of a lot of lighting sources. Does that mean blasting it with 4000k, reputed to mime daylight? Wash out in uniformity, every element in the space? I have never found daylight to be cast with cold blue. Even on the snowiest , coldest, brilliantly lit winter day. Never on the sunniest clear July mid day, yet more golden.

Test, test your pain threshold for darkness, elevated with decor.. And there's always PAINT. : )

B G thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Ps...... ever get dressed to 90 % - and there you stand at the mirror. Missing some bling. You add the necklace, the earrings...and POP! That's the same as above. You must add the lightness, color, and the gleam. Multiple ways.

B G thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    last year

Well said, Jan.

• Kendrah
    last year

I have a zillion questions: You say this was a farmhouse, however, the amount of decoration and detail is really typical (at least in the US) of a home that is more expensive than what was built on a farm in the 1870s. The walls and ceilings look like inexpensive cuts of timber - they are not fancy paneling. Yet the door frames ceiling ornamentation and gingerbread-like ornamentation looks more detailed than what you find in a farmhouse and perhaps was added on less than 153 years ago? I bring this up wondering if someone went a bit bonkers with woodwork add-ons in here and whether or not you like them. I'm all about preservation. I'm just wondering how much and what parts of this you want to preserve.

What do the other rooms in the house look like? Are they paneled with the same wood but painted over or were the constructed with another wall type?

What are the shuttered doors in the parlor that are behind the table on the right wall? Are they a doorway, do the go to a covered window? They look newer to me than the rest of the room. I wonder if there is some other light source from behind them? Also, what is the opening to the right of the fireplace with the flag? Is there a window back there, a hallway?

I'd also call in 3 different wood refinishing contractors for quotes. Even if you end up not having the $ to hire someone to do the job, you may find that at least one of them will give you a very good education as to what you are dealing with and what is possible.

B G thanked Kendrah
  • Maureen
    last year

Before undertaking any major decision, cleaning the wood may help.

Consider the overall direction decor wise, make some changes and then re-access. .

A door with glass would be a huge advantage.

Multiple lighting fixtures

Light runner (to get length, could have carpeting cut and bound).

Large mirror/console table with a lamp

Lighter furniture and art

Dark works with the right elements.

B G thanked Maureen
  • beesneeds
    last year

I would strongly recommend you do NOT try sanding anything. It might sound like an idea on flat stuff, but you have a lot of carving. Detail sanding on carving isn't a great idea unless you are experienced with how to handle 150 year old wood carving. I also would not whitewash or paint it.

I might give it all a good wiping down. It looks like the wood is well dusted and all, but even walls can accumulate debris over time. Not bleaching, but a gentle clean. All that woodwork is really lovely, I can understand why you like it. Adding in better lighting and lighter furnishings can go a long way to making it cozy and yours.

B G thanked beesneeds
  • marmiegard_z7b
    last year

You might have a good plan based on the different rooms having different wall treatment/colors already. That would make me way more able to “ embrace the dark and cozy” in some rooms, albeit with many of the suggestions above, for lighting, gleam, light upholstery, art, decorative items, rugs and even floors, which are much more easily refinished ( assuming yours are) , if I could also indulge my desire to spend some time in rooms with lighter decor, white or cream or colorful wall paint and other colors to go with.

B G thanked marmiegard_z7b
  • PRO
    last year

I'd tread lightly--plan and think before you do anything. The house is so unique you don't want to do anything you will regret. I love that you said you are "stewards" of the house. Also you can have light rooms and dark rooms in the same house. I love light and have light rooms with painted woodwork including a sun room, but I also have a family room with lots of darker paneling that I love as well. Both can co-exist in the same house. What a great journey you have begun!

• cpartist
    last year

Should we consider white-washing or bleaching this beautiful wood?

Sure if you want to remuddle the house so you ruin that gorgeous old wood.

I'll run a patch test in a hidden spot and see how the wood takes to a light sanding

That will ruin the patina.

Hey Everyone! This is my first time presenting a question to a social platform and requesting assistance. I am SO VERY appreciative for all of the wisdom, experience and advice that is on this forum. I'm taking copious notes as there seems to be a shared consensus on what might work best. We definitely wish to "sit" in the house a bit and allow some of the more permanent changes to land gradually and soberly. We see ourselves as stewards of the house and wish for it to remain in great shape for future generations. If the house survived the permanent decor trends of the 60's-80's unscathed, then we can do no less. We still want the house to be identifidentifiable as a farmhouse from 1870.

Thank you! You are being very smart about it

B G thanked cpartist
  • kudzu9
    last year

As someone who has been working with wood for 50+ years, I can confirm that the cautions here are well-warranted. Trying to do some chemical bleaching or sanding has a high probability of ending up with a blotchy, uneven, or unnatural-looking result...and with you regretting you started the project. Painting would, in my opinion, be a desecration and might highlight natural flaws in the wood that aren't obvious with the wood in its current, natural state. If it were me, I'd embrace it and use lighting and decor options to change the look.