SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emilypulka

Make it mid mod

emilypulka
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi everyone, what can I do to make my 1954 ranch more mid mod? I’m in Florida, so landscape needs to be heat resistant. The house color needs to stay as is, a minty green. I’m open to new shutter styles, removing Shutters, new door, lighting etc. The garage door is faux; the space has been converted so I can replace the carriage style door with new wall and possible window or a non functional modern door. The flower bed in front needs to go, i can put in sod or stone. Thanks in advance.

Comments (42)

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

I would look up ”atomic ranch” for ideas. Don’t put in a faux door where the faux garage door is, it’ll only confuse people.

• Claire
    4 years ago

You have good bones for going mid-mod. Being in Florida you can probably pull off palm spring mid century inspired dessert landscaping!? More pictures might help you get you some of the super cool photo shoppers to do up your place! (Oh! And it might be neat to replace the fake garage door with some sort of large metal wall decor.... Let me see if I can find an inspiration picture)

• Claire
    4 years ago

This is a screen grab from google earth of a place that I know of near my house that has kind of what I was thinking of for replacing your faux garage door. NOT exactly this, but like a midcentury modern abstract wall art...

• emilypulka
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cd7733 that looks great and is a similar u shape as my house. Thanks!!

• acm
    4 years ago

Definitely remove all vestigial shutters, and swap out fake garage door for a window. Otherwise, it's already pretty clearly midcentury. Maybe more geometrical landscaping will help lean it the way you want? That and a cool front door.

• emilypulka
    Original Author
    4 years ago

ACM, yes I think it may be best to wall in the garage area and add a wide narrow window along the top. If there’s no garage why pretend there is one?

• emmarene9
    4 years ago

If you still have a drive way then I would allow the garage door to stay. Remove the hardware and paint it the color of the house.

Remove the shutters.

Get a midmod door.

• PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    4 years ago

Well the standing seam metal roof is going to keep you from getting as MCM as you want. Removing the shutters, putting in a MCM front door, MCM garage door and MCM lighting will help . . . some. That's really about all you can do.

If you're interested in seeing how these changes could look virtually, check my web site, Creative Visual Concepts.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

We need to understand the garage side better post a shot of the house strait on not from the side so we can get a better scope. I think you are trying to force it a little so just be careful it doesnt end up looking like a ranch gone wrong.

• emilypulka
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• emilypulka
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That’s the house before the previous owner painted them white

• emilypulka
    Original Author
    4 years ago

creative visual- I think I have decided to remove the fake garage doors and add a long narrow window instead.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

The green house still says 'cottage' to me. I would paint.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Your house isn't too far from MCM right now. The shutters absolutely have to go.

Is there a reason you can't paint the minty green?

• Dan H.
    4 years ago

If the garage has been converted—I assume into living space—why did you put a faux door where the garage door was? I would think that converted living space needs windows for natural light because, and I’m just assuming here, I also assume there is not much in the way of windows on the other two outside walls. Anyway, I would think a more interesting MCM front door would help a lot.

• emilypulka
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Dan h, I didn’t do any of this. I just bought the house.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Wider steps and a paver walkway:

• Kendrah
    4 years ago

Groveraxle to the rescue. I love the windows they "installed" on your home, removal of shutters, window frame color, and new planting.

• emilypulka
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Groveraxle that is AMAZING!! I had that bullet sconce in mind, love all of it. Only thing I would have to do different is a shorter window and frost it, because when they converted the space they didnt bring the space all the way to the garage wall. No clue why! Those garage doors open to a space about a foot deep and then a wall. It’s bizarre

• emilypulka
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Can vinyl window trim be painted?

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

In that case, frame out and stucco over the garage door opening and plant some dwarf palms in front.

Painting vinyl windows--especially a dark color--could be iffy. They make vinyl paint now, but you'll need to do some research to see if there will be problems and if the windows are fairly new, it will certainly void any warranty you might have. Here's how it looks if you leave them white.

emilypulka thanked groveraxle
  • emilypulka
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It looks amazing with the black and great with the white but yes they are new windows so I guess I better leave alone. And that’s a great idea with the palms! are You using an app or is that design software?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

could you make the drive way so it doesnt line up with where the garage door was?

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

• shead
    4 years ago

I feel like it's missing some sort of wood element (screen, trellis, wall) that would help it be more MCM. I'm definitely not a pro nor do I have the right vernacular, but the atomic ranch that cd7733 has the element in the horizontal planking.

• User
    4 years ago

I definitely agree that removing shutters and adding mod style door and light fixtures will make a big difference.

Since you need to keep your house green for now, I'd suggest having the door match your trim, OR a natural wood color.

Also, maybe some big statement house numbers?

I think your landscaping is pretty close, just needs a little sculpting.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Emily, I use Photoshop. I forgot to mention I painted your downspout to match the stucco color behind it.

New post lamp:

Winston Porter Dehoyos Outdoor 1-Light Lantern Head & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

Here's a not-too-expensive door from the orange store. Comes in lots of colors:

Builders Choice 36 in. x 80 in. Cordovan 5 Lite Clear Glass Painted Fiberglass P · More Info

emilypulka thanked groveraxle
  • User
    4 years ago

I bought a similar globe light for $49 on amazon. seems sturdy enough-- two years so far and still looks great.

https://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-Lighting-6686100-One-Light-Polycarbonate/dp/B000U5IN0E

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

• emilypulka
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Look what I found today!!

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Emily, I'd love to see what you found today, but apparently I've gone blind. Either that, or your photo didn't post...

• emilypulka
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• emilypulka
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I bought house numbers and a new light too. The door was free!

• cd7733
    4 years ago

Awesome find!

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

That is cool. Love that you’re sharing your updates.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

That door is awesome. Can't believe it was free. You should go buy a lottery ticket today.

• rnonwheels
    4 years ago

Pink for that sweet door would be cool, def. a palm springs, light MCM/retro style to go with your white trim / windows etc. Can't wait to see what you do! How's the inside?

• emmarene9
    4 years ago

I love the door.

• User
    4 years ago

yasss! I love your door! it would look awesome with a midcentury escutcheon:

regarding color and your green house: we have something similar, but more of a sage green. ours had a dark pink door, which I loved. I don't know how to describe the color. not magenta (it was less blue than that). more like raspberry. it was bold but not too clashy next to light green.

(this is an old pic. our house looks very different these days!)