SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
j_williams67

This is a very weird sewer/drainage issue

J Williams
4 years ago

I am not a builder, plumber, etc. So bear with me. We have just discovered relatively recently that our exterior rain water drain beside our house, that feeds into our drain that runs through our basement and out to the sewage outside, the city collection system, was at one time in history, co opted by the neighbour we are not attached to, but are adjacent to. Someone in time broke the end off that collective drain end and put a splitter in so that rain and I guess groundwater, From their BACKYARD runs into OUR interior drain. Up to now, it’s been ok, obviously we had no idea for the over 10 years we were here, and it’s a 100 plus year old house, so it’s never been perfect. Fairly recently construction our current neighbours have had done coincided with complete drain back ups and flooding into OUR basement. It was fairly obvious some literal sh**went down because out of the blue, we’ve got bucket loads of clear pea gravel showing up in our drains. My hubby just broke up the concrete surround/covering of the outdoor drain to verify the source of the problem. Obviously, it was not our current neighbours who put the splitter in but it WAS the activity of their construction crew who likely caused some problem. Now who pays for this repair? Who holds the responsibility? We simply do not have the funds to tear up our entire front yard immediately at hand, and rebuild the drain, and had been considering selling this place before we had this issue.

Comments (5)