SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Why does a 10 lb bag of sugar feel heavier than a 10 lb bag of flour?

plllog
4 years ago

I was asking myself this as I was walking up the stairs just now.. Yeah, I could have called upstairs for help, but I didn't have that much else. I'm pretty good at playing balance scales, do these two oranges or whatever feel similar in weight. But my left had my purse over my shoulder, a nylon bag with my iPad, old computer charge cord/transformer, replacement computer charge cord/transformer (the (laptop) computer fell off the table and bit right through the cord!), two very light bags of groceries and the 10 lb. bag of AP flour.

The right had my keys and the 10 lb. bag of granulated cane sugar. At the store yesterday--where I forgot to buy rum (and sodapop which is still down in the car) hence the new groceries--I asked them to put the big bags in plastic. I only had five shopping bags anyway, and bought more than I'd expected to, so didn't mind getting extra disposable bags. The first bag of flour I'd picked up was torn at the corner and I didn't catch that until checkout as I wondered why an unrelated package kicked up a dust when I put it on the counter. I dashed to replace it, and inspected the new one, but you know what they're like when they leak. So the boxer said she was putting the sugar in one carrier plastic bag and the flour in another, and I said, "Thank-you." They stayed downstairs in the car overnight. I had to dash out for the new computer cord (priorities!) and figured I could get the rum and a couple of odds and ends too, and figured I could bring it all up (except the sodapop).

But it was so odd! My right arm is stronger than my left, so I was trying to figure out what kind of trapped air or other physical difference there was. Both were in standard paper wrappers, so negligible difference in weight for packaging. Maybe it was the angle or lack thereof in the way I was holding things, or the left being fooled by the weight of the transformers and iPad. It was all very mysterious until I'd put away the new groceries and looked at the plastic bags on the counter. Indeed, the sugar was in one bag and the flour was in the other. The 10 lb. bag of sugar and the 2 lb. packet of brown sugar were in one bag, and the 10 lb. bag of AP flour was in the other. :D

I really am fairly good at playing balance scales. Maybe not so good at keeping track of groceries. :)

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!