SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
country_girl_at_heart

help.Cabinets in today-duct in floor&no duct to toe kick register?

country_girl_at_heart
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi all...we're in the middle of a new build-cabinets are being installed today-question on toe kick a/c register.

The hvac company put 2 standard rectangle openings under cabinets-one under kitchen sink cabinet, and one under master bath sink cabinet. Gypcrete was poured, and the floor is flush with the metal piping.

We called them this morning, realizing they havent installed the hvac ducting from the opening in the floor that will go to the register in the toe kick....they said they werent going to-they were going to leave it open.

(sorry-only pic i could find with short notice...in the bottom mid of this pic-see (part of) rectangle duct in floor--they're going to leave this and let the air blow into the bottom of the cabinet, then out the toe kick duct. This doesnt seem right? It should be ducted from the hole in the floor to the toe kick register, right?)

This cant be right?

To add to my concern, we are installing cabinets directly on unsealed gypcrete (with shims)-which I've heard can be dusty over time.

I also dont understand how they could plan to do it this way----when, previously I'd let them know I wanted to get some different register covers than the standard ones they provide-and they made a bit of a fuss over needing to have me let them know exactly which ones we were getting-so they could check with the manufacturer on the specs to see if it would work with their calculations on pressure, etc for the system. How can they do any type of pressure/blower test when it blows out under a cabinet?

Help. Am I off track in wanting the hold in the floor ducted to be connected to the toe kick vent-so we dont lose pressure, we dont blow dust from under the cabinet out into our room, and we dont waste energy cooling off under the cabinet area-which is not sealed?

We're going to call back after I do some reasearch-but would appreciate any input you could provide...as I'd like to be informed when I have the conversation with the PM.

At this point-cabinets will be installed today--so I guess we ask the cabinet guys to remove the floor from those two cabinets and keep the toekicks off if we end up 'special ordering' the parts to have this ducting installed.

There are so many details in doing this build---its such a gift but we're so tired. We thought we were all ready for the cabinets to be put in :(

Thanks for your input.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio