SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hannah_knauss

Large Entry Loggia Design Ideas.

Hannah Knauss
4 years ago

We just bought a new build home and there is a large entry loggia. Any ideas on what we can do with it? There are large gates to close it off. After you walk in the front door is on the right and on the left is an opening to the center courtyard. The courtyard has large sliding doors that open up to create a indoor outdoor feel with the same leading to the backyard.

We are going to add “wood” tiles to the entry loggia and cement in the quart yard. We are trying to brainstorm to make use of the room. It is also the first thing you will see after opening the gates so nothing too crazy. Thanks in advance!!!!

Comments (59)

• Hannah Knauss
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We plan on using a wood tile because in the back we are going to be using a combination of “wood” and concrete along with turf. Similar to the photo attached.

We wanted to incorporate in the front. The builders left the courtyard unpaved and so we have two options to demolish all the cement as we won’t be able to match or use two materials.

The model just had a couple of chairs and side table with a dimensional art price on the wall.

The floor plans are attached.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Have you considered staining the concrete! Be really easy to maintain just use non skid application. A large teak bench on the left with vertical plant wall would be nice. You could use succulents, even good faux ones. Let me find some ideas.

• Related Discussions

Driveway Entrance Design Idea???

Q

Comments (9)
    Enthusiasm should never be suppressed - but wouldn't it be nice to have an instant old growth conifer forest? My initial thoughts were that you definitely don't want anything blocking sight lines. And snow; we got another 6-8" of snow yesterday on top of the 44" since mid-December. How high will the plow banks get on your main road; how much will get pushed onto any easement you might be developing? Then there are the road salts and grit residue to contend with. List from Virginia Tech, VA Extension service for shrubs, hardy in Zone 5 and tolerant of saline soils or salt spray Common name Latin name Deciduous/Evergreen Cold/Hardiness zone range: Red chokeberry Aronia arbutifolia D 5-9 Saltbush Baccharis halmifolia D 3-7 Beautyberry Callicarpa americana D 5-10 False cypress Chamaecyparis pisifera E 4-8 Summersweet Clethra alnifolia D 5-8 Red osier dogwood Cornus sericea D 5-8 Rockspray cotoneaster Cotoneaster horizontalis D 5-7 Rose-of-Sharon Hibiscus syriacus D 5-9 St. John's wort Hypericum calycinum D 5-9 Japanese holly Ilex crenata E 5-7 Inkberry Ilex glabra E 5-9 Chinese juniper Juniperus chinensis E 3-7 Common juniper Juniperus communis E 3-9 Shore juniper Juniperus conferta E 5-9 Creeping juniper Juniperus horizontalis E 3-9 Amur privet Ligustrum amurense D 3-7 Tatarian honeysuckle Lonicera tatarica D 3-9 Bayberry Myrica pennsylvanica D 3-6 Mock orange Philadelphus coronarius D 5-8 Mugo pine Pinus mugo E 3-7 Shrubby cinquefoil Potentilla fruticosa D 3-7 Purple-leaf sand cherry Prunus x cistena D 4-8 Beach plum Prunus maritima D 3-6 Staghorn sumac Rhus typhina D 3-8 Rugosa rose Rosa rugosa D 3-9 Scotch rose Rosa spinosissima D 3-9 Elderberry Sambucus canadensis D 4-9 Japanese spirea Spiraea japonica D 3-8 Bumalda Japanese spirea Spiraea x bumalda D 3-8 Snowberry Symphoricarpos albus D 3-7 Lilac Syringa vulgaris D 4-8 Tamarisk Tamarix ramosissima D 2-8 English yew Taxus baccata E 5-7 Japanese yew Taxus cuspidata E 4-7 Highbush blueberry Vaccinum corymbosum D 5-9 Arrowwood Viburnum dentatum D 3-8 European cranberry bush viburnum Viburnum opulus D 4-8
    ...See More

Door from dining room to loggia?

Q

Comments (13)
    I see no reason to have a door in the great room AND the literally steps-away dining room. Doors are more expensive, less energy efficient, and easier to break into than windows. I'd absolutely want one door, but I wouldn't want two. I'd choose one or the other -- and I'm rather ambivalent about which one should stay. Either one seems to be equally convenient for kitchen-to-outside for grilling. I'd let the furniture decide. Yes, seriously. Imagine your furniture in the space. Which furnished room would allow you the best access to the door? While you're considering furniture placement, consider your patio furniture too. Two doors may inhibit what type of furniture you can have outside.
    ...See More

Entryway Ideas (when you have no entryway)

Q

Comments (56)
    Well, I managed to build an entryway table this weekend...so there's no going back now - no more couch on the wall! Oh and those unsightly sidelight curtains found their final resting place in the trash too. Whoever came up with these window films is genius! Thinking maybe chalk painting the table, sanding a few edges to expose the wood and some storage baskets below for blankets and such.
    ...See More

need a large modern entry chandelier! any ideas?

Q

Comments (2)
    If you are looking for extra long chandelier, in Galilee lighting we offer lighting solutions for slanted ceilings and design the chandelier in any length. We make unique lighting made of hand blown glass in beautiful styles. We specialize in custom lighting. We invite you to visit our website to view our unique lighting collections. If you would like to receive our catalog by email and get more ideas, contact Sales@GalileeLighting.com or visit www.GalileeLighting.com We offer free design consultation, to design the perfect size of chandelier for your space. Call us at 305-807-8711
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Just some inspirational photos that might help you visualize this as another “room” for your home. Are you painting the metal gates? Black?

• Hutchae84 Zone 8b/PNW
    4 years ago

I was just reading a book on courtyard gardens and wishing I had one when I stumpled upon this post. Are you good with gardening? If not, I would look into hiring a landscape designer as this could truly be a special space.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

I would not do wood-look tile here, especially not if you're using real wood in the back. I wouldn't stain it either. I might polish it though.

Glass House in the Garden · More Info

• emmarene9
    4 years ago

I like the concrete floor in the entrance. I would leave it but probably get a rug.

I would use the courtyard mostly as a garden. Think of what you would like to look at while sitting indoors.

It would be lovely if you could attract birds.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    4 years ago

The entry loggia has just about no natural light, so any plants will need to be artificial.

If you pave the courtyard so it can be used as a play area for the kids or an entertainment are, you will want to leave unpaved beds at the borders that are at a minimum 2-3’ deep or plan for potted plants which would be more flexible. Also, consider how much direct sun the area gets and therefore how much heat the paving might be soaking up and releasing after the sun has gone. Plant matter would be less heat retentive if this is an issue, or consider adding a sun shade of some type.

• fissfiss
    4 years ago

The loggia is really cool....great play space for the kids...someone was asking about rain in SoCal...when it does rain, it comes down in buckets! I liked the phrase “Moroccan Modern”..that’s all I got!

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

There are plenty of live plants that are 'low light' that can successfully be placed in this ante room, but IMO the floor selection should be more dynamic.

• NYCish
    4 years ago

I think the woodlook tile will cheapen an otherwise dramatic space. I like the idea of an interesting large format tile, modern/industrial. I just quickly picked some from artistic tile. Lots of color choices

• Bri Bosh
    4 years ago

I don’t really see this space being that usable. You can’t really use it as a kids play area unless you want a bunch of toys greeting everyone when they first enter, and it’s too dark and removed from the house to really enjoy. I’d just put a pretty water feature or table with a plant and leave it at that. I like a Moroccan tile for this space.

• Bri Bosh
    4 years ago

Maybe add a cool light over a center round table.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Worry about the interior and live in the home for a while before you decide. You may find you have a special use for this area, or you may discover the it is pretty useless to your family. Let its function reveal itself to you over time before making a decision. Then it will be easier to determine what form it should take. Meanwhile, decorate as though it were a first foyer with a large round concrete table topped with a bonsai or a seasonal arrangement on it. The second one below is from San Diego. I think it needs a large contemporary lantern hanging above the table too if you use it as a preliminary "foyer" for a while. Will the mailman deliver mail into this space? That's a consideration too.

Front Loggia Design · More Info

Autumn Seasonal Projects · More Info

• Marco
    4 years ago

A dark space can often be brought to life by the improbable use of a dark color. Consider a sumptuous color on the walls, and another lush color on the door. It will mediate between the blinding glare of the driveway and the more modulated light of the interior. In that case, a modest charcoal floor could bring it all together (whether stain or stone or tile).

You weren't asking for guidance on the patio, but a couple of the most beautiful patios I've been in had only a single large date palm in the middle (that was in Rome, another in Amalfi with climates similar to yours). They were surrounded by handsome pavers set in sand so rain can get through, and I guess there were some pots of succulents tucked around. The light from a date palm is filtered, striated, sways in the breeze. (not a california sky-duster palm nor mexican fan palm that eventually leave you with a telephone pole with a pom-pom on top). A real date palm, Phoenix dactylifera. Date palms have separate male and female plants, so if you get a male you won't end up with messy dates on the ground (assuming there is one of the opposite sex somewhere upwind).

The floorplan looks absolutely wonderful. I hope you and your family find a solution that suits your taste and budget and makes you happy for years!

• Lidia
    4 years ago

Out of the box idea...make it a conservatory. Mirror the ceiling to brighten the space and add drama and height, add in large container planters plant tall low level light plants, add corner floor lighting for drama and provide light for the plants. Large round or square table in the middle to be a crafts table during the day for the kids and when you have guests, the first place they’re greeted with a beverage, a floral centerpiece and maybe some fire (candles). My tastes are more traditional but for you I see something along the lines of an Asian tea room, something warm, simple and a bit austere...like you’d find in San Francisco or vanvouver. The photos below don’t convey that feeling, they’re offered up so you can search and find what speaks to you. :)

.im sure Bev and groveraxle could mock up something cool

• Hannah Knauss
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@beverlygladeziner Thank you! I have some ideas but was just trying to see if there was something I wasn’t thinking of.

I am working with a landscape designer. Although beautiful we aren’t really into the Moroccan vibe. Our style is contemporary modern.

The center courtyard will serve as a hang out place. There is a built in fire place and I have purchased a really nice couch and chairs. And will add modern planters.

The kids will be allowed to play in the entry loggia but there won’t be toys that stay there. We don’t keep lots of kids items laying around and what is out is very tasteful.

I like the round table idea. I guess I will see how everything looks after the flooring and landscape is finished. We have only been in the home 2 weeks. Thanks for all the ideas and for those who photoshopped some flooring. It was a great visual.

When it is completed I will post a pic of the final product.

• Bri Bosh
    4 years ago

Beverly, it’s not “naysaying” to point out that it’s unlikely, due to its placement and design, that it likely won’t be a very “usable” space. That’s not to say it can’t be beautiful or welcoming. No need to condescend. Antechambers are reserved for very large old homes and mansions and their formality has made them obsolete in modern life for any actual function. Not dissing the design...just saying focus on making it a nice space t welcome visitors and leave it at that.

• bpath
    4 years ago

I can picture a floor done with a rug-design inlay into the tile or whatever you use. If you go with wood-look tile, it can be a “rug“ of color tiles, or one of different-color wood-look tiles.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    4 years ago

Hannah has indicated that the front gate will be closed, not open as in the photos. Realistically, that means that the only light will be reflected from the courtyard opening or from light fixtures. IME that isn’t enough light for healthy plants, even those that tolerate low light. Either artificial plants or changing out the plants on a regular basis will be needed if they are to look good. I really don’t think it is realistic to expect to grow plants successfully anywhere except within a couple of feet of the courtyard opening as that is the only natural light source. There are low light plants, but there will be almost no natural light in much of this space based on the photos provided, and interior spaces with artificial light won’t grow good looking plants.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

NHBabs, I know you're not likely to believe this but there are lots of plants that do well in low light.................not in New Hampshire of course, but in places without frost, good humidity and light that bounces into the room these plants thrive.

• chispa
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Interesting that the builder showed this plan with doors/gates that had glass and were much more visually open and let in a lot of light. They also showed an option of making this room into a formal living room and part of the house.

I still think I would do a half or two-thirds height gate to get more light into that area. As far as people seeing in ... at night they can walk up to the gate and easily look through the spaces between the slats. We all have windows that face the street so it doesn't seem like a reason to close in the space completely for the daylight hours.

Quite interesting to see the big builders switch to more contemporary homes. It seems that the modern farmhouse phase was pretty short-lived here in CA!

• remodeling1840
    4 years ago

Perfect climate for this wonderfully unusual design. I hope you post pictures after it’s finished. I can see a lot of use for this space, changing as your family changes.

• Hannah Knauss
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@chispa Interesting you found the builders website and specific model with little info. The digital pics of the homes were before they had the models built and they did make some changes. Like the gate type. We knew the type of gate it would be when we chose this model.

Yes you could have changed it to a formal room and moved the front door but I think this is way more interesting. Also that option was 25K I believe. And before you say when you get a house like this what is another 25K there are a lot of things upgraded. You can expect to spend roughly 200K in upgrades before you even do the landscaping.

I think doing a half gate would look silly with this house. That seems more farmhouse. The gate is not closed all the time. When we have company we will also keep it open.

Of course everyone has windows on the front of their homes. This is a bit different. I think for some reason you just don’t like and feel the need to continue with the negative comments.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I think this is a wonderful space and depending on your specific lifestyle, I could see it hosting say a charity event and this being first stop on tour where you select a glass of champagne or other beverage and meet other guests. If you do use wood tiles, find sizes where you could design an interesting pattern. Maybe a centered herringbone or any look that is inviting. For a good herringbone you need tiles 3-1 ratio for best look. Maybe put sundial in center. Definitely figure this out before you purchase tile. It would also be wide to get tiles with skid proof. Slipping could be issue just from wet shoes.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

*wise not wide to get skid proof surface tiles.

• chispa
    4 years ago

Sorry, didn't intend to be negative. I just like a lot of light in a home. I am also building, but will work with an architect to design our own plan, so I am currently in a state of mind that I analyze any and all spaces, as I want to consider all options before finalizing our plans.

Enjoy the house. Can't beat the San Diego area weather!

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Hannah, give the flooring here some good hard thought. You posted this as the inspiration for your backyard:

I think you will be disappointed with the wood-look tile. It won't have nearly the modern feel that the above space has.

• Hannah Knauss
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@groveraxle that was just a quick example I could find of what we have for the back.

The backyard will have hardscape and turf. Our designer suggested using some wood or wood tile to break up the cement and use kind of like that photo. We really liked that idea. We are still picking out the materials.

The courtyard and entry loggia dilemma is unless we want to rip up all that cement then we either tile the courtyard or entry. Designer suggested entry and put acid wash cement in the courtyard.

We don’t want any crazy patterned tile. I did like some of the grey tiles someone above posted.

Do you have any other suggestions that are not a busy pattern? I liked the 2nd pic you photoshopped above but I feel like if we did that then we would have to rip up the current cement.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

None of the renderings I posted above would require ripping out the concrete. The second rendering is of a slate tile, though it's not a very good representation. Frankly, I think that floor would be awesome if you just polished it. It would probably look something like this:

Holton Street · More Info

And a black slate would look something like this:

Wallace K. Harrison Estate · More Info

• Kendrah
    4 years ago

This space looks like a garage to me. I don't mean that offensively, it just does seem like a garage - a place to put bikes, strollers, beach gear. I think it could be turned into some kind of room but it certainly does not seem like it was intended as living space, specially considering there is no light source, a concrete slab with seams, and a front door that has its own locking mechanism.

What have others in the complex used this as? Is this in or near gated communities? I agree it reminds me of homes that prepare for security threats.

• Hannah Knauss
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@kendrah like I said before it looks very unpolished at the moment. We have been in the home 2 weeks and it’s a brand new construction. We are one of ten people who have moved in already and 1/3 have this design. Maybe I should take some more glamorous pictures. It really is a nice space and if you don’t think so then honestly no need to comment.

There is actually lots of natural light coming in and led lights above.

It is located in a really nice area of San Diego. It’s about 4 miles from Torrey Pines Beach/Del Mar.

You know what I am tired of defending it. I think it’s a fabulous space and will look great when I’m done with it. If you have some design ideas I am happy to hear them otherwise keep your unhelpful comments to yourself.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Hannah-you have a unique, interesting home and it is located in a amazing area. I look forward to seeing how you make this part of it yours and create a wonderful, welcoming, yet functional and interesting space.

• emmarene9
    4 years ago

Hannah, your space is very nice and I hope you will share your progress with us. It is such a nice change from people wanting to put shiplap and a barn door in their remodel.

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

Hannah, you just need to ignore the negative posts, and just ignore after you've defended once. This is the internet, so there are various opinions. Also, it usually takes less than a minute to find anything on the internet.

I agree to keep the flooring neutral, no busy pattern. I would like to ask why you are going to concrete in the court yard. Having an open space with greenery at the far end of the entrance gates will soften the concrete, glass and tile while pulling the eyes to the court yard and front door. A water feature or a sculpture would also be attractive.

I hope you will post more photos.

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

Love the potential here! Just my 2 cents - the flow of materials from this space to courtyard to home is key. What is the inside floor right now? I’d love to see a continuous color - not necessarily same materials but color and tone is key. And if you hardscape the courtyard please keep at least one or maybe more ‘wells’ that can help with drainage and offer an opportunity for some trees. Can’t wait to see progress shots!!!
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/mid-north-residence-industrial-patio-chicago-phvw-vp~1367624

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

That's an awesome space, thinkdesignlive. Let's post it here:

Mid-North Residence · More Info

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

Thanks Grover. I’m never at my computer and always on my phone and haven’t taught myself how to link the photos on my phone that way :)...I’m also thinking that your ceiling is going to need a designers lighting / finish touch. If that space is welcoming lighting wise at night the ‘envelope’ could be simple like maybe wood slat walls or wood slat ceiling, dramatic entry table... this image isn’t quite right but maybe you get the idea of ‘feel’...

• bpath
    4 years ago

This is so intriguing, I hope you will take us with you on this project and show us your ideas and choices!

• Lidia
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@thinksesignlive...that’s a great image. Do you think the wood slab ceiling would make the space darker further and make the ceiling feel even lower? What do you think if the wood seat ceiling had slats of mirror randomly incorporated in the space?

Then on the floor which which could be wood slat as well, but incorporate random pieces of a heavy duty frosted glass (the feel of a water element) in the space.

Instead of a couch for entertaining guests, incorporate outdoor patio furniture but more lush but durable cushions (sunbrella fabric). Maybe just a couple tall low level light plants, use a plant service to change them out every couple months. Lastly, add a simple zen water feature so block road noise and bounce light off of in the evenings. Movement in a space adds life to it,

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

A lower dramatic ceiling in that space would only enhance the feeling of grandness once entering the courtyard or homes entry. This owner is all about streamlined modern so what would Mies do. Less is more.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

• Ellen Tracy
    4 years ago

Some great ideas!

• my db
    4 years ago

Hannah

I really love your house plan. It's unique and modern, and I think it has very good flow. Can you tell me what a casita is? Will that be an area for overnight guests, or possibly a nanny? I hope you will post pictures later on when you have finished the space, I'm excited to see what it looks like!

• Hannah Knauss
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@my db
    Thank you! It’s like a guest suite. We are excited to finally have space for overnight guests because before we lived in a high rise and although amazing didn’t have enough space.

I will update the post once we have the space completed :)

• zingrace
    3 years ago

@hannah Knauss- we just bought the same model and wondering what we can do with this same space. Would love to see your after photo!!

• M V
    3 years ago

Did the builder of the homes have any models that staged that area?