Booker Longlist 2019
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (31)
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Discussions
Booker Prize Longlist, 2012
Comments (14)At last - a book worth reading on the longlist. Philida by Andre Brink is a book about a slave called Philida in South Africa in the early part of the nineteenth century, approaching the emancipation of the slaves. It talks about a history of which I knew nothing - for that reason alone, it's fascinating. It's beautifully written, and a good story - based on real events. However, be warned - it has some fairly graphic descriptions of some unpleasant events. But one I'd expect to make the shortlist. So far, I would bet on The Garden of Evening Mists, Bringing Up the Bodies and Philida making the short-list. I have read five others, which range from "good, but not Booker winner good" to "how on earth did this even get published"? Perhaps I might try Communion Town after all......See MoreBooker Prize Longlist 2013
Comments (14)The Spinning Heart is quite interesting. It's about a village in Ireland and the events just after the financial collapse a few years ago. What's interesting is that it's twenty-one different stories by twenty-one different people, but there is a continuous thread. It nearly worked - but not quite. I thought it would have been better to have chosen, say, four or five people and told the story through their eyes. As it is, it feels like a bit of a gimmick, and I don't feel the story is complete. I don't think it'll be short-listed. I read the first three chapters of the first book of The Kills and abandoned it. How that ordinary, badly written thriller got long-listed, I do not know. How can you even consider a book which has this ungrammatical rubbish? Ford waited, first he leaned against the table, then he stood upright with his arms folded. But now - A Tale for the Time Being. I'm with you, Merryworld - I really enjoyed it. I'll be astonished if it isn't shortlisted - I think it's got a chance of winning. It's a story about a fifteen year old Japanese girl, who is writing a diary - and a woman in Canada who is reading the diary. There are some unpleasant scenes, but altogether it worked. I agree - I loved all the characters and really cared about them and what happened to them. Lovely book - thoroughly recommended. One other piece of news - all the books on the longlist that are not yet published have had their publication date brought forward. (At least here in the UK, that is...)...See MoreAnne Enright - The Gathering - Booker Prize 2008
Comments (17)Looking forward to it...although I have been warned by DH that if I express the same opinion that I discussed with him, I will be ignomiously thrown out of RP. Even though he agreed with me! So we'll see if how brave I am....See MoreBooker Short List 2019
Comments (7)OK - we're off. I could not resist reading The Testaments by Margaret Atwood. It is very good indeed. It's actually three intertwining "testaments" of two young women and Aunt Lydia (whom we remember from The Handmaid's Tale), which tells quite an exciting story. We also find out a bit about Aunt Lydia's backstory. I'm not surprised it was longlisted, but I'm a bit surprised that it was shortlisted. It's very good - but it has two flaws as far as I'm concerned. The first is minor - it seems to me to not have the same impact as The Handmaid's Tale - it's more of a thriller than an exploration via a novel of what happens in a place like Gilead. There is some of the exploration, but in the end, it's feels like it's wriiten as a thriller. (I felt the same about The Wall, by John Lanchester.) The second flaw is far more significant - I don't think it stands up as a single book. I don't think you'd make any sense of the book if you hadn't either read The Handmaid's Tale or seen at least some of the TV dramatization. To me, that is enough to put it out of contention - I don't think a book can be considered as a contender as "best book of the year" if it can't be read as a stand-alone book, without any knowledge of a previous story. So - good book, but I hope it doesn't win. It's not as if she needs the prize money, anyway! Next up is Ducks, Newburyport. I like to support the little publishers!...See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago

martin_zOriginal Author