Houzz Logo Print
martin_z

Anne Enright - The Gathering - Booker Prize 2008

18 years ago

Here's my summary from the longlist thread.

Reading The Gathering by Anne Enright. Liam commits suicide. His sister tells the story of the family. Middle-class angst with Irish guilt thrown in for good luck. I'll finish it, but I can't say I'm desperately impressed - be surprised if it's shortlisted.

Wrong again.

An interesting comment by the chair of the judges; he said that when they long-listed the book, it wasn't one they were expecting to come through and win. He said "It is a very intense piece of work which does repay re-reading."

So perhaps I might give it another go. Anyone interested in a discussion, starting, say, mid-November?

Article from the Guardian.

Review from the Guardian.

The Booker Web Site.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County