Booker Short List 2019
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (7)
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Discussions
Booker Prize Long List 2011
Comments (6)Sorry. But now you know how we feel when films like Never Let Me Go are released five months earlier in the US than they are in the UK. (Personally, I couldn't wait, and bought the DVD from the US - even THAT came out before the film was released in the UK.) The price of the first editions of each of these immediately jumps if they make the short-list. So, as every year, I've tried a bit of hedging. I've bought the Hollinghurst and Barry first editions, I've ordered a signed copy of the Barnes. I'd be happy to keep the Barnes and Barry anyway. If the Hollinghurst doesn't make the short-list, I'll sell it - can't stand what I've read of his in the past! I've also punted on a mail-order copy (which I suspect is a first) of the McGuinness, which is already not available anywhere, even in the warehouses. It is almost certainly being reprinted for the first time - so as I say, I suspect I've got a first of it. If it does make the short-list, it'll be extremely pricy - and I'll be very happy. And if it doesn't, well, I've bought what I hope is a good book anyway. Wish me luck!...See MoreBooker Prize Long List 2010 has just been released.
Comments (12)What criteria is used to choose these books? Since reading and loving "The English Patient" (first Booker I ever read), it always caught my attention if a book had a sticker on it -- "Booker Winner" or "Booker Shortlisted". But when I read "God of Small Things" it was such a disappointment! Couldn't understand what that book was trying TO SAY ... and it was obvious that the writer was trying to get SOMETHING across. It was odd, when I returned it to the store, the guy behind the counter said, "You're returning this?!?!" ... He didn't have any great explanation as to why I should love it. (Did get my money back, tho'.) Since then I've been wary of buying Booker Prize novels. But am always curious to see which ones are nominated, which wins, which are shortlisted. I think, as with most prize competitions, judges give up handing out awards to the same people. Like the Academy Awards not going out too many times to the same actors who've already won Oscars and been nominated So Many Times Already. E.g.: Meryl Streep. So maybe that's why certain writers who've written wonderful novels this year but already won Bookers are left out -- even if they should be nominated again this year. What do you think?...See MoreThe Booker Prize Long List is out !
Comments (11)I read only one book on that list so far "Child 44" and I agree there are some very gruesome parts to the story. Despite the horror what held me fascinated by this thriller were the graphic descriptions of Stalinist Soviet Union. It was a smart and orginal piece of writing so I have to say I liked the book however upsetting some of it was to read....See MoreBooker Prize Long List comes out today!
Comments (23)Well, I really did enjoy Mr Pip. Not as much as would have liked to - it's in two parts (not literally part 1 and part 2, but before and after a major event), and I felt the second part was a bit weak compared to the first part. But if it's short-listed - and I'd like it to be - I'll certainly be happy to re-read it. Now reading, reluctantly, On Chesil Beach - can't find any of the others in the bookshops at the moment. The reluctance stems from a slight distaste of Ian McEwan - he's a marvellous writer, but there always seems to me to be a sort of slightly smug feeling about the way he writes - "I'm a great writer, and I know I am" sort of thing. But I have to admit I'm enjoying this one more than I expected to, so far....See More- 7 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

TRENDING NOW32 Home Design Trends That Will Rule in 2019
Creamy cabinets, abstract kitchen islands, destination bathtubs, compact laundry hubs and more are in store for homes
Full Story
EVENTSMaison & Objet: 7 Color Trends to Watch in 2019
The international design and lifestyle show in Paris showcases the hues expected to be big in furnishings and decor
Full Story
COLORS OF THE YEARWill These 9 Paint Colors Dominate Homes in 2019?
Moody, earthy hues are on tap for the coming year
Full Story
TRENDING NOWThe 10 Most Popular Home Offices on Houzz in 2019
Whether full rooms or tucked-away work niches, these spaces help homeowners work efficiently
Full Story
TRENDING NOWThe 10 Most Popular Entryways of 2019
Houzz users gravitated toward spaces that feature custom built-ins, rich colors and natural light
Full Story
TRENDING NOWThese Are the 10 Most Popular Kitchen Photos So Far in 2019
White, gray and black cabinets shine in these stunning new kitchen photos saved by Houzz users
Full Story
INSIDE HOUZZBaby Boomers Address Aging Needs in Kitchen Remodels
Their choices include open-plan designs and robust lighting systems, the 2019 U.S. Houzz Kitchen Trends Study finds
Full Story
MOST POPULARDesign Trend: Color Maximalism May Be the Next Big Thing
Going all out with bold colors and patterns will be hot in 2019, design experts say. Here’s how to punch up your palette
Full Story
DISASTER PREP & RECOVERYHow to Help California Wildfire Victims
Find out how to donate to groups assisting those affected by the fall 2019 wildfires
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEKick Off Your New Year With a ‘Get It Done’ Day
Cross a bunch of small tasks off your list — or choose just one quick-ish fix — for a feel-good start to the year
Full Story
martin_zOriginal Author