SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurak_morghon

kitchen cabinet color change, paint or stain?

Laura K Morghon
4 years ago

I have orange oak cabinets in my kitchen. They are good quality with pull outs and the layout is fine but this is a very sunny kitchen and the finish has become very orange over the years. I want to change the color and am debating paint vs sanding them down and refinishing with stain. If I went with stain it would either be clear or something like Minwax Green Tea. I really like the idea of a translucent green with wood grain showing through. I will probably have a professional do the work whichever way I go.

So my question is really which would look and wear better paint or stain? If I go with paint it will probably be some shade of green.

This kitchen has a 23’ x 4’ solarium window/wall on the west side so there is plenty of light if I want to go with a darker green.

The flooring will be changing to Supercore SPC but I haven’t nailed the color down yet. It will probably be Chattanooga Hickory or Oak Natural. This flooring will be throughout the main floor.

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on colored stain vs paint. I’d love to see any pictures of colored stain on oak or painted oak cabinets, especially if they are a color other than white or gray.

Thank you!

Comments (6)