SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aiden_mead

Bathroom Design Dilemma

Aiden Mead
4 years ago

So the wife and I ave started a kitchen remodel, and we are coming to the end of that chapter, but the next project that branches from the kitchen is a half bath remodel. A little background on why they are linked - right now, our kitchen backs up to our foyer, where there is a small (unheated and in Upstate NY, brrr) half bath and a tiny closet. Our home was built in 1858, when foyers had a main purpose, but now, having a 14x14 foyer isn’t as useful, and there are better ways to utilize that space. It’s also worth it to note that the door is smack-dab in the middle of the exterior wall, and there are stairs on the wall across from the one that backs up to the kitchen.

So, as part of the kitchen remodel, we decided that we wanted to expand into this space and add a walk-in pantry, as well as shift the bathroom over to have a window and one of the heating ducts from the foyer, which would then be cut nearly in half.

The big design dilemma - the new bathroom will be approximately 4x7, but the window the exterior wall is a very low window - only about 24” off the ground - and it is French casement, so it swings inward. The window is 36” wide. So I am finding an issue with trying to figure out where to put the toilet and vanity. We want to be able to utilize the window, so putting anything on the 36” expanse of wall behind the window, where it swings, seems impossible, and we can’t put anything in it’s swing path, either.

so I have a couple of ideas but wanted input. One idea was to have a low-back toilet. I like this idea the least, but it utilizes the space best. Another idea was to alter the swing of the window and actually have it swing up, with a pulley on the ceiling. I’m uncertain if I like this idea, though. The other window in the foyer also opens the same way, but directly into the entrance to the living room, so doing this with both windows might solve a few issues.

Its also worth it to note note that I am an above average handyman. I’m building all our cabinets custom, and woodworking has always been a passion of mine. I am doing all of the restoration of this historic home myself, including building replica windows for ones that are damaged beyond repair, so that type of work isnt beyond the scope of possibilities for me to do.

Any advice or suggestions?

this is a very crude drawing of the layout, just to give a basic idea

Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)