SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Cooking Forum Visitors

annie1992
4 years ago

First, I have to admit that there are no pictures. My camera quit working while I was climbing up into the top of the lighthouse with Lars and Kevin and my new one has not come yet. I know, excuses, excuses.

Yes, Lars came to Michigan!!! His brother Kevin came along, and they stayed with me for a little over a week, it was so wonderful to have them here and Lars and I had long talks that lasted until the early morning hours, while he was still adjusting to the time difference.

They came in the evening and I knew they wouldn't get fed on the flight, there are no direct flights from Michigan to California, oddly enough. (ahem) I had hummus and crackers, some cheese, venison sausage and other snacky things waiting for them. I planned nothing for the first day except sleeping in and unpacking, I made salmon for supper and we just talked. Ashley came to meet Lars and she brought the girls, so it was a busy day. The next day we went to Traverse City, drove out onto Mission Peninsula. We drove up to the lighthouse on the 45th parallel, halfway to the North Pole, LOL, and bought some sweet cherries. I'm ashamed to admit that I don't even REMEMBER what we did the next day, but it must have been fun. (grin) Lars and Kevin had a rental car, a Jeep Cherokee, and so they went North for a couple of days, up to Mackinac Island, then to Saint Ignace, and on to Sault Ste. Marie, one of AnnT's past hometowns.

When they came back we went to Coopersville and visited the Historical Museum with the Del Shannon display and the Memorial to Del Shannon outside. Lars was president of the Del Shannon fan club in Junior High, so it was a must see. That night Naturegirl came for supper, we had chicken mole and some of my home canned salsa, so she was able to tell the people at Harvest that she had eaten Annie's Salsa at Annie's house with Annie, LOL. I took her on the "farm and garden tour". She brought me some walking onions to plant and I sent her home with purple teepee beans and zucchini. She and Lars got to meet each other, although sadly, lpinkmountain could not make it, her father had some emergency surgery. I greatly enjoyed meeting Naturegirl and I hope we get together again soon, maybe with lpink this time.

The next day we went to Meijer Gadens and walked around the sculpture gardens and the greenhouses. It was hot. Really, really, hot. We didn't make it through all of the gardens, but did see the Japanese Garden, which was not there the last time I went. Some "oldtimers" may remember that this is where I met Elery for our first date, so there are some good memories.

Monday I had to take Bud to his neurologist and so Kevin and Lars were on their own, they went to Ludington. Unfortunately they listened to the Visitor's Center and went to the State Park instead of the City Park, where I had suggested they visit. They had to pay to park, there was a warning about swimmer's itch in the inland lake at the park and the walk to the lighthouse was nearly 3 miles, which they opted not to do. The City Park would have had some shade, free parking and a pier out to the lighthouse, a walk of about half a mile. (sigh) I don't know what the Visitor's Center was thinking.....

On the way home GPS took them through the National Forest, down seasonal roads and generally chose the absolute worst route possible. Lars was laughing when he came in, so he took that well, but I don't think it was the best day of vacation they ever had. Kevin did say it wasn't as bad as getting lost in Death Valley, so there's that. Elery made supper because I was stuck in Grand Rapids traffic trying to get home, so he grilled salmon and chicken, made some green beans and potatoes from the garden and generally played host in my place, thankfully.

Tuesday they had to leave, having done all the laundry and packing the night before.

We never did bake cinnamon rolls together, although I did make homemade pasta with a cream sauce and mushrooms one night, and sauteed shrimp another night. I made a rhubarb/strawberry crisp because Lars had never eaten rhubarb, and some zucchini/chocolate/mocha mini muffins for a sweet snack and because it's zucchini season.

Lars got to see Michigan, somewhere he's never been, and I had a wonderful time visiting and getting to know he and Kevin better. I also got to meet Naturegirl, another person who wanted to wander through my garden and around the farm, and that was great fun.

I was sorry to see them all leave, and I know Lars was going on to meet another member of that Del Shannon fan club, so I'm excited to find out how that went. Hopefully, they'll come back, soon!

Annie

Comments (16)