SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blessings2all

Calming Color for Canines in a Laundry Room Makeover

My House
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

If you were to create a doggie retreat space in your home, what colors would you choose?

This IS a design dilemma in that my target clients cannot communicate the answer and my internet search has not been very helpful, other than "dogs have the human equivalence of red-green color blindness, in that they can detect all shades of Blue, Yellow-Lime, gray, black, and white."

I want to avoid the human equivalent of a bright red stop sign room.

If dogs see blue, then is blue be a stimulating color for them, as red/orange/yellow is to humans? I've noticed that mine prefer blue and lime colored toys. One has a dark blue shark that he loves and will chase and lick for hours. Also, whenever we leave, he'll hold a plush blue toy in his mouth and cries (breaking my heart) The other has a lime green toy that she values above all other toys, as it is the only one she has not destroyed in the last six years, despite her daily playing with it.

Does anyone have further knowledge on this subject? The dogs are not displaying destructive behaviors when we leave - I want to avoid exacerbating their separation anxiety levels. (They are both rescues that were dumped in the animal shelter's night locker by their former owners - separate occasions. Both were neglected and came from horrible situations. She was filthy, matted, covered in live ticks. He flinches when someone reaches overhand to pet him.)

Our home decor is Transitional with Tropical Asian accents (Brown, blues, touches of green) I was tempted to create a blue/ white laundry/dog spa room, like the one shown below, but with a LVP driftwood floor. I am second-guessing the colors, for the dogs will be here when we leave. As stated above, I want to avoid the effect of a bright red stop sign room.

Laundry · More Info

One Saturday (last winter)

Comments (26)