SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
equest17_gw

Budget laundry room makeover - Before and After pics

equest17
14 years ago

This room remodel has been slow in coming. I did all the priming and painting while DH was on a business trip a few months ago, as it took a few days of uninterrupted work to prep and finish that job. I finished the remainder bit by bit as I was working on elements in other rooms. The light fixture was installed when I did the matching kitchen lights, the counters got put on after I got the kitchen counters in, the popcorn ceiling got scrapped when I rented the steamer for the foyer, the floors got done when I did the bathroom floors, etc.

Those floors took a deceptively long time to lay, given the small space. There were so many tiny, tricky cuts and angles. DH would come home and count my fingers to make sure I hadn't lost any digits to the compound miter saw, jigsaw, or undercut saw! Since the flooring was seconds from a discount building supply place, I had to work around blemishes and damaged spots to salvage as much material as possible, so that took a long time, too.

It's lovely to have so much storage space for all my ingredients, equipment, and supplies just steps from the kitchen. I reused one of the old cabinets from the kitchen remodel to install open shelving for recipe books, etc., but I would like to find some baskets and other decorative items to fill it out a bit. Since you can never have enough storage, I added extra pantry shelving to the coat closet beside the bathroom just for narrow bottles and jars that get lost in the cabinets.

The walls and cabinets are BM Nantucket Gray, trim is basic white; laminate is Formica Giallo; the pulls I bought in bulk on eBay and spray painted ORB (they aren't as dark as the picture shows). With everything included, I've only spent about $300 on this room. I still need to find a wood curtain rod to properly mount the valance above the w/d (it's on a low tension pole right now) and finish striping the back door. And I'm on the lookout for a counter height rolling chair or stepstool/chair combo for my menu planning area, but those details may take a while. Heres the before and after shots.

Before (from kitchen)

After (same angle)

After

South wall (from the kitchen)

North wall (from the kitchen)

Straight on (from bathroom doorway)

North wall (from bathroom doorway)

South wall (from garage entrance)

Extra pantry shelving (in coat closet)

Comments (37)