Create A PIN Screen/Window

luis_pr

My Windows 10 PC is wanting me to create a PIN when it goes dormant and I awaken it to use it. Malware? I scanned for virus, malware, etc and there were minor things reported only. I have SuperAntiSpyware and Avira on the PC.

When I try to awaken it, I enter my password. It says it is not valid. Gives me another screen where it accepts the password. After it boots up, I then get this full size screen asking me to enter a PIN, blah, blah, blah.

I cannot cancel out or "X" or ESCape out from this screen so I power off, reboot, all is well. This only happens after the PC falls asleep and I awaken it.

SaveComment6Like
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

Perfectly normal, it’s just easier than entering a password. Just pick 4 digits than mean something to you.

Save    
jane__ny

Yes, normal. Mine does the same thing.

Jane

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Passwords and PIN numbers on PCs used for personal reasons seem to cause more problems than the benefits provided. My PCs (which in the early days were used by all family members in the household, who needed access without too much trouble) have always booted right up , recover immediately from sleep, no entries required. Never any problems. If one were stolen, the perp would have a PC for free but none of my personal info.

PCs should always be physically protected from theft. But if you keep information off your PC that could be personally damaging if in the hands of an evil doer, and you don't save passwords or other access info in your browser (whose caches you clear at the end of each session), there's really no reason to use passwords or other access limits.

Smartphones are different and I do use a 4 digit PIN on mine. They're too easy to leave behind or slip from a pocket. There is personal info on these, of many kinds.

That's my opinion.

Save    
mike_kaiser_gw

Elmer,

I don’t know why Windows 10 asks for a password/PIN but I suspect it might be something that can be disabled. Like you, I don’t see much of a purpose in home PC but as I think about it Windows, at least for me, has been asking for a password since NT4.

The reality is that unless the drive is encrypted, physical access to the device is all that’s required. It’s easy enough to pull the drive and read its contents.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

When you set up a new PC, there's an initiation sequence for various things (Time zone, etc) that also includes something like "Enter password". If you click on the "Later", or "Continue", or whatever the field is, you can complete the setup and NOT have a password. I suspect Macs have something similar.

Yes, you can remove having a password so that a Windows PC will boot up or recover from sleep without stopping for a sign-on.

For people who are attentive to clearing browser caches, etc., most PCs don't contain personal information that could be troublesome in the hands of a non-law abiding person. Mine do for other reasons but I assess the possibility as very low risk. Everyone can make their own decision about it.

Save    
acraftylady

My friends are just now complaining about this happening after a critical update that came through. Not seeing it on my computers. Mary

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Salvage Salvage Spotlight: Warehouse Windows Become a Storage Screen
Full of character but originally short on practicality, these panes in a Brooklyn loft now hide gear instead of leaking air
Full Story
Exteriors Sculptor Susan Wallace Turns Screen Doors Into Art
No more boring screen doors! Texas metal artist creates unique grillwork for doors, windows and public spaces
Full Story
Gardening for Butterflies How 7 Landscape Designers Create Beautiful Gardens With Verbena
Verbena bonariensis works wonders as an airy screen, back-of-bed flower, window box plant and more
Full Story