SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_bledsoe44

Carex Pansa lawn in North San Diego County - need advice

Nancy Bledsoe
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Our landscaper installed Carex Pansa April/May 2018 as an alternative to a regular lawn at our new home outside of Vista, CA. Full sun exposure. I requested Leymus tritocoides Laguinta, but he thought Carex Pansa would perform better. It's been a struggle from the beginning and he doesn't know much about caring for it. It has been slow to spread and it clumps and then starts dying. The landscaper brought in soil, laid subsurface inline drip irrigation, installed plugs and then mulched between the plugs. The plugs were extremely slow to spread, so in November I decided to rake up the mulch hoping that would solve that problem of being slow to spread. The Carex Pansa started greening up and spreading, then we received lots of rain and it was looking great! Approximately May 2019, not yet above 80 degrees, the Carex Pansa started looking bad again. I decided to trim one section back to about 5 inches tall, watered with an overhead hose-end sprinkler and dethatched with a rake. It started recovering, but still not looking great. Another section was mowed in June, and the lawn guy mowed it to approx 1 inch - that section looks almost completely dead now despite watering it overhead. I read that Carex Pansa stays green in hotter temps if you irrigate more frequently, but that doesn't really seem to be helping. I think I waited too long to mow/trim it, and then it was trimmed too short. I'm wondering if the subsurface inline drip irrigation system is a poor choice when trying to grow it into a lawn. I'm at a complete loss as to what to do. Help! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments (10)