SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joe_williams27

Shade trees for alkaline soil

Joe Williams
4 years ago

I started a thread back in the spring looking for ideas for dependable shade trees for a zone 6b, central Indiana location. I've already seen a couple nurseries advertising the arrival of fall stock, so although I won't plant until late September, I may look to purchase soon. Since I just bought this property last year, I spent the summer following the advice I've always read on this forum when I was a lurker....learn about my soil, my drainage, and what grows well in my local area, both in the suburbs and in the wild.

Using at home test kits, my soil ph runs about 7.5. And using the old fashioned method of digging a cup of soil and pouring a cup of vinegar over it...it definitely fizzes up. 20 year old yard, was probably farm land before that. So I'm on the alkaline side of things. Very flat ground with no natural slope for drainage. So March, April, and May it's squishy ground although not standing water. Then in the summer it tends to be dry.

Focusing on newer suburban neighborhoods and public areas, there are lots of very pale, yellowish chlorotic oaks and red maples. Occasionally I'll see a nice green oak or red maple, I figure the oaks are probably bur or chinkapin, but I'm really curious as to what cultivars of the red maple are keeping their green. Maybe a freeman maple actually? River birch grows well (although I don't want one) and keeps their green, and honeylocust grows well. Quite a few linden trees, but they are ate up by July with Japanese beetles.

I'm only looking for large growing, deciduous shade trees. 4 or 5 is my plan, it's almost an acre lot and they will be far away from any structures. Redpointe maple is pushed hard by all the nurseries here, I read great things about their tolerance to slightly alkaline soil, I don't know if I've seen one growing though. Also on my list is chinkapin oak, bur oak, ginkgo, miyabe maple (State street), and european hornbeam...although it's form is not really appealing to me. I generated this list just based on researching large trees tolerant to alkaline soil. I'd love to hear of any new ideas, or some first hand experience with Redpointe maple. Thanks everyone.

Comments (35)