SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabaer

Downgrade guest bathroom to add functionality

Eliz
4 years ago

We have a very nice bathroom in our basement that I’m considering renovating to add some utility functionality we don’t have elsewhere in the house. Previous owners used this as the master bathroom, but we don’t and have different priorities for the space. I’d love your advice on how to get what we need in there without going too far...

Existing situation (in case the photo isn’t clear):

• We have a nicely finished bathroom with a double-sink — it’s the sink area I’d like to renovate, hopefully leaving everything else alone. This is about 60” wide.
  • Current cabinetry is floating cabinetry with a glass countertop and porcelain bowls sitting on top (I’m sure there’s a term for these type of sinks!).
  • The sink alcove is dry walled, with no backsplash, full width mirror, with a pair of medicine cabinets on the side walls (surface-mounted, not recessed).
  • I believe the floor is ceramic tile, but is supposed to look sort-of like wood.

Here are some of the considerations:

• We still want this to serve as a guest bathroom for overnight guests, so want the space and aesthetic to be appropriate for that use. I don’t anticipate needing to store much in here — extra TP and toiletries for overnight guests, maybe some cleaning supplies, but not much.
  • We don’t have a laundry or other utility sink anywhere in the house for “messy” messes — mops, paint brushes, muddy shoes, etc. — so want to be able to use the sink in this room for those kind of jobs.
  • We pulled out soapstone countertops from another unused room in the house and I’d love to use these.
  • The space (filled by existing cabinets and countertop) is about 60” wide.

Here’s my plan:

• Take out everything you see in the photos: cabinetry, medicine cabinets, glass countertop, sinks, and faucets. I think the floor is fine.
  • Tile the whole alcove (for durability)
  • Install regular (non-floating) cabinets or repurpose some large piece of antique cabinetry
  • I’d like to use the leftover soapstone countertop
  • Replace the existing sinks with either 1 or 2 stainless (or enameled?) sinks

Major questions:

• Good idea to tile to add durability to the walls, or unnecessary?
  • Any strong opinions about reusing the old soapstone countertops here?
  • Biggest question is about sinks/layout: I’m thinking of a deep, large stainless utility sink (or enameled) on the right — large enough for a mop, soaking laundry, etc. and am thinking this doesn’t serve double-duty very well as a guest bathroom sink. So am thinking a second, smaller bathroom sink on the left is a good idea for guests to use. Since we already have the plumbing, the cost of the 2nd sink will be minimal. Opinions here?
  • Other sink questions: stainless? Or vintage enameled cast iron? Can I do 1 stainless and the other enameled?
  • Anything else I should be adding/making considerations for in this space? We have our washer/dryer in a closet nearby and there’s enough space there for storing laundry-type stuff.

I’ve seen so much good advice on these boards on such a range of topics, I’m hoping you all have some opinions on this! Thanks for your input!!

Comments (22)