SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_892909521

Vintage Thrifted Jungalow Style Needs Upgrading One Room at a Time

HU-892909521
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello Houzz, I've been lurking on Houzz for many years now and I'm so impressed by the generosity of the help people receive on this site.

I'm an American expat living in an old (1902) rented apartment in Central Europe which I've furnished with an eclectic mix of thrifted and street find items and plants, lots of plants in every room. I would like to request your assistance for recommendations to upgrade my apartment one room at a time and make it beautiful and cohesive with designers and lay peoples' input since I've taken this flat as far as I can go.

Would like to start with my living room. Hopefully, I can use some of the multitude of things I've already amassed in my flat. For instance, I have a piano and book cases in an awkward middle room that I don't know would look better in the living room and large brown cabinet in living room moved to middle room? I don't ascribe to any particular style (probably why I don't have an idea book), although my living room seems to lean more more transition/traditional since these are old thrifted items.

1. Is this the best layout for this room, or would another layout be more functional and visually more appealing?

2. No, window treatments because I have window covers on every window for privacy. I would also like the windows to stay clear for the light for the plants. Will take down old curtain rods left from previous tenant.

3. Art, as you can see there's no art hung on the wall. I would like to show you some of my art I've collected to see if I'll fit with this room. I don't want to overwhelm the room with art, but I think the room needs something on the wall.

4. I know I can use new planters as many of them don't enhance the quality of the room, recommendations are welcomed.

5. The old dinosaur stereo by the patio door will be removed as it's not being used, other than to sit plants..

6. Wanted to know your thoughts on the huge cabinet on the long wall, should I take off the top and just leave the bottom as a credenza? I'm really challenged as to what to do with the longest wall in the living room where the big cabinet sits. Thought about a gallery wall, but not sure what to do about the wall?

7. Thoughts of hanging a pendant light in the window nook and what's best to do with the window nook? Should I leave the table? Sure I move the huge Monstera there?

8. Pillows for couch and throw for the couch that compliments the thrifted rug (and art to be placed) are needed?

9. Is this the best place for plant shelf and what about better styling for the shelves?

10. How to enhance the overall "browness" of the room with texture or other recommendations to make my room more appealing.

11. I would like to add a mirror to this room and have three that I would like your recommendation on? One mirror is gilded wood from 1890 that I really like a lot.

12. The wall color is a greyish white

13. How to style the coffee table

14. Lastly, I'm really open to your assistance and flexible in your recommendations.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. I really appreciate it.

Comments (183)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH